TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3813181920212223

Thread: Production on Deus Ex 3 officially announced

jtr7
    Oh come on. You could make a better point about judgment than that. The ability to make a game, even a kick-ass game, or having a high IQ or high education, doesn't automatically mean sound and respectful decisions are being made regarding a sequel to an established iconography, gameplay, and choose-your-own-adventure storytelling based on the player's decision.

The argument falls outside of the devs' abilities to craft good games, and is centered on the very common argument that they are apparently deviating from the established universe and gameplay in ways that are not acceptable, fixing what wasn't broken. We know the decisions are being made for money and ego, not to create more of the same.

Or something in that ballpark!

I don't even think it's ego . . . money, maybe, because of some marketer's idea of pragmatism (which will drive any game publisher -- other than EA -- in the ground, mark my words; that said, mimicking EA ain't gonna get you where you wanna go).

If the argument is that the game will suck because of designers' egos, I hope they'll hear me out when I say they'll get much better ego-ROI by making a game we're asking for. People will buy it, and they'll love it.

You ignore us at your own peril ;-) (and that's me addressin' your EGO back there, devs :-)

Skol : I'd like to know... Were you "slimed by a spooky ghost with ectoplasm" just after posting your comment? (I'm particularly referring to the one beginning with "Were the old design documents shredded")

Chade : Learning is too "fundamental". That's certainly not the (conscious) reason people choose to play video games. They may agree to learn a bit in order to play a game, but they don't play a game in order to learn, at least not the average person.

To me, most people play (single player) video games for the same reason they will go see a blockbuster movie or listen to a top 40 song : entertainment. Nothing more. They don't seek something deep or interesting, they just want amusement. I will agree that video games could be a great tool for introspection, but few people, particularly when they get older, are interested with introspection.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Papy View Post
    ...few people, particularly when they get older, are interested with introspection.
    Do you even read the things you type?

Skol : I'd like to know... Were you "slimed by a spooky ghost with ectoplasm" just after posting your comment? (I'm particularly referring to the one beginning with "Were the old design documents shredded")
    Either my trivia is really poor, or I have no way of having any clue about what you're talking about :-p

But I'll say yes, just for fun. If you have any questions and/or comments, please be less obtuse next time :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Do you even read the things you type?
    Yes, but as my English level is very low, maybe the words I type do not mean what I think they mean.

Chade was talking about "a game or story that made him think hard about his own personality". Unfortunately, few people actively want to know who they are. It is not that uncommon for a teenager, but if I look at people around me, I'd say it's extremely rare among adults. If you challenge someone to look at himself, most of the time the answer will be either denial or angriness.

ZylonBane
    In my experience, introspection is mostly something older people do. What young people do is called "angst". They haven't been alive long enough to have anything to introspect.

I'm with Zylon on this one.

is Best Pony
    I also agree.

I concur.

Is Deus Ex a step too high for someone who never played video games before? Certainly. It's like someone who drives a car. Signaling, releasing the gas pedal, pressing the clutch, changing gears, checking mirrors and blind spots, turning on the intermittent whippers, all this at the same time is something natural for someone who's been driving for 20 years, it is done without thinking, but it requires a lot of effort to think about all this for a novice.
    I'd have to say that I am not a hardcore gamer in any way. The first 'modern' (I have my own definition of modern that basically means 3D) game I played was Tomb Raider - up until then I played 2D platform games, and only tried TR because my father had bought a PC magazine that had a demo and said I might like it as it was a 3D platformer. Liked it, never finished it.

The only games I have finished are DX (twice, PC & PS2), DX:IW (twice), TR:Legend, Project:Snowblind (it was fun and better than IW) and Fahrenheit. I had played a bit of UT. Badly. But apart from that had very little experience of first person games when I first played DX, but found it fine, got through the first level with no problems (except my usual 'what happens if I hit this...' *BOOM* that happens with every game that has explosive crates/barrels ). Maybe people being used to a certain type of gameplay is an issue. Maybe I'm just an obsessive who likes to explore every inch of the map just in case I miss something interesting.

I'm not getting my hopes up about DX3. I want it to be good, but from what I've read they seem to have missed the point of the original game. From reading the article in Edge with the talk of boss fights and DX having no memorable moments, it's making me think of the T-Rex in TR Anniversary. In the original TR the T-Rex was terrifying, coming out of nowhere and probably eating you - I don't know anyone who didn't know what was coming who survived the first encounter. In Anniversary he was just a boss fight, and a bit pathetic. Actually if it wasn't for that example of what a remake can do I'd probably be joining the 'why do we have to have a new game, can't they just remake the original' people.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3813181920212223