TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891419 ... LastLast

Thread: Production on Deus Ex 3 officially announced

If that's true, then it's rather funny considering its dual-platform nature.

EDIT: Crap, Bob Page 4

Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    It'd be nice if you could say "Yes" or "No", actually knowing what you're talking about. The game did not sell as well as the original, but it didn't fail financially.
    Can you give us better data than just "not as well"?

Quote Originally Posted by Sathras View Post
    Funny thing is - I downloaded the HD version of the trailer and the date on the voting box is gone! Haven't checked with the normal one though.
    O RLY?

Some news.

Apparently it's being made on Crystal Dynamics' new engine, and they're looking at DX for inspiration more than IW.

Quote Originally Posted by Papy View Post
    Can you give us better data than just "not as well"?
    Not really. From IMDB trivia; not very reliable, but there's absolutely no sales figures I can find:
    "Despite low sales on the PC, the high success of the console version ensured that the game met sales expectations."

Plus you can use common sense that if it was a financial failure they wouldn't be making a third.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    It must be so cool to have "Disastrous" as a last name.

They are making a third one because despite of Invisible War bad press, you'll find a lot of people who think Deus Ex was one of the best game they played. The name Deus Ex is worth a lot of money.

As for sales, I thought Deus Ex (1) barely made any profit. It was not a failure, but certainly not a hit either. I also thought Invisible War did a little better than Deus Ex, although as I can't remember the source of that info I must admit I'm not sure if it's reliable.

This secrecy about copy sold is really annoying.

Some news.

Apparently it's being made on Crystal Dynamics' new engine, and they're looking at DX for inspiration more than IW.
    Oh christ, I just had this mental image of JC exploring ruins and swinging from trapeze bars

Whoah, never seen a suicide smiley before.

I really don't want a sequel to IW. Even a prequel is kind of... meh. Personally, I want to see the world right after JC does his thing, during the Collapse.

ZylonBane
    That would be full of suck and boring.

I think a prequel is the most interesting choice, with the world just starting to go all cyberpunk. The way they're doing the "social uproar at augs" stuff seems to be a bit heavy handed and in your face, but it's probably the first game I've seen to even touch souch a problem.

Yeah, the whole overt, heavy handed social messages is what really concerns me. After the custerfuck that is the Battlestar remake, my tolerance of these are incredibly low.
    Last edited by The_Raven; 1st Dec 2007 at 02:12. Reason: minor edit

As long as the social message is not one-sided, politically correct and moralizer, I don't have a problem with it.

Agreed. To paraphrase South Park, I really hate when stuff which is supposed to be entertainment gets all up your ass with "messages".

I love this quote from the interview though:

"The second was a success in the eyes of some, but had some ups and downs, so we've tried to identify what worked well in that game."

"What worked well"? Try nothing that wasn't already in the first game, D'Astous.

I don't think it will have a "message" any more than the previous games. Don't forget it is a technically "political" game, with factions taking sides in some clash of ideology ... At this early stage, it just looks like they're fishing for concepts that might make for some good drama and give the player a strong modus operandi. There's (supposed to be) a difference between that and trying to sell some political agenda.

Besides, if they had any agenda, I'd think it would have more to do with something like succession from an imperial gov't.

Quote Originally Posted by ZymeAddict View Post
    I love this quote from the interview though:

"The second was a success in the eyes of some, but had some ups and downs, so we've tried to identify what worked well in that game."

"What worked well"? Try nothing that wasn't already in the first game, D'Astous.
    Bot Domination.

Some news.

So, this means we get tiny meaningless maps a'la IW again? I'm not surprised at all. This is Eidos - they only see "Next-Gen" consoles as a vialable platform, with PC ports thrown after.

Hm ?
    I didn't play Tomb Raider Anniversary but surely its levels are at least as big as those of the original TR ? (ie. enormous)

EDIT : There's a gushing review on Eurogamer. Worth a read to get interesting bits about the engine - especially the "far superior on PC" part. The decision to licence Crystal Dynamics' engine may turn out to be quite a good choice...
    Last edited by Briareos H; 1st Dec 2007 at 07:16.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyrian View Post
    Bot Domination.
    That was pretty cool. But they implemented it in a lame, dumbed-down way that made it entirely too easy to use. You should have at least had to stay somewhat close to the bot while you were hacking it. As is, you could take over even the most powerful bots by just "tagging" them and then running away.

I hope the story doesn't focus on social acceptance of augmentations. That theme was already visited in DX and explored extensively in IW leading up to the Templar ending. To focus on it again would be a total

In fact, I'm not sure augmentation should be a central theme at all. Because it's a DX game, I suppose augmentations need to be part of the gameplay, but I hope they're not central to the story. DX and IW already took it as far as it can go.

In fact, I'm not sure augmentation should be a central theme at all.
    I don't entirely agree with this, transhumanism has always been a large part of Deus Ex's themes. In addition to that, I wish that there's some technological singularity themes as well. If it really is a prequel, some focus on the creation of Daedalus, Morpheus, and The Oracle would be great.

NOTE: I have not played Invisible War.

EDIT:

I'm given the impression that Invisible War had some good ideas, just really shitty execution. Even though I haven't played the game, I like the idea of black market biomods with hack-like construction and ethical drawbacks; several opposing philosophical movements where no particular one is right; and other similar things. As long as these ideas are executed properly, without making your choices irrelevant, then I don't see a problem with them.
    Last edited by The_Raven; 1st Dec 2007 at 13:39.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    I don't entirely agree with this, transhumanism has always been a large part of Deus Ex's themes. In addition to that, I wish that there's some technological singularity themes as well. If it really is a prequel, some focus on the creation of Daedalus, Morpheus, and The Oracle would be great.

NOTE: I have not played Invisible War.
    In DX, augmentation was one of many themes. In IW, augmentation was the central theme. I personally feel that between the two games, augmentation has already been explored to its logical ends & extremes. I just don't see where else they can go with it without being derivative.

I would like to see the story focus on the AIs, regardless of whether it's a prequel or sequel. IW only explored AIs in an inconsequential side-story (NG Resonance) and the JC ending cutscene. So there are a lot of directions they could go.

Found yet another anatomy reference in the teaser: the upper part of the EMILE tattoo on the fetus reads HUMANI CORPORIS FABRICA. This is a reference to a sixteenth century textbook on anatomy by Andreas Vesalius:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_humani_corporis_fabrica

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    I personally feel that between the two games, augmentation has already been explored to its logical ends & extremes. I just don't see where else they can go with it without being derivative.
    Given a choice between a third game about augs, or a ten-thousandth game about saving the world from an evil wizard, I'll happily take the former.

Given that, to quote Arthur C. Clarke, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", I'd say Bob Page = evil wizard here.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891419 ... LastLast