TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101520 ... LastLast

Thread: Production on Deus Ex 3 officially announced

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    Given that, to quote Arthur C. Clarke, "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic", I'd say Bob Page = evil wizard here.
    And given that everything is made of atoms, I'd say that you are a bowl of chicken noodle soup.

Evil wizard, evil millionaire, what's the difference, really?

OMG!!! a Deus Ex 3. after IW I never thought we'd get another. That thing did to the DX seris what Batman and Robin did to that franchise. Since it's waaay to early to know or speculate about anything, I'll just say:

PLEASE DON'T F' THIS THING UP. I'd rather they cancelled it than make another IW.

"Let's kick some ICE."

Quote Originally Posted by smf2626 View Post
    OMG!!! a Deus Ex 3. after IW I never thought we'd get another. That thing did to the DX seris what Batman and Robin did to that franchise. Since it's waaay to early to know or speculate about anything, I'll just say:

PLEASE DON'T F' THIS THING UP. I'd rather they cancelled it than make another IW.
    Thank you for reapeating this for the 1056386th time. Your input is appreciated.

your welcome

"We chose the Crystal [Dynamics] engine because we plan to help develop this engine more and then share it back with the rest of the company, the other Eidos studios.

"We just want to all work together on improving the same technology as we develop our game".
    In other words: "We have chosen an engine that we'll then give a complete overhaul to make it do what we want." Kinda reminds me of something...

But OK, I'm being an a-hole here. I obviously want this to go well. I think perhaps the most important thing is that the engine for a Deus Ex game will be able to handle huge levels with a lot of detail. I'm usually a graphics whore, but I'll concede that if we can't have both, then graphics should take the back seat for the experience, atmosphere, environment, story driven detail, and level size.

One thing I learned from the Deus Ex 2 (later to become DX:IW) development though, is that this time around I won't have any hyped up expectations, I won't listen to anything the developers say, and I won't take any pre-release screenshots at face value. I'll wait until the game is safely installed on my computer and I'm actually playing it this time. Perhaps my lowered expectations will salvage some of it if it turns out to be not so good.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    In fact, I'm not sure augmentation should be a central theme at all. Because it's a DX game, I suppose augmentations need to be part of the gameplay, but I hope they're not central to the story.
    The central theme for both Deus Ex and Invisible War was not augmentations, but
    spoiler:
    conspiracy

Personally, I don't care that much if character improvement is done with nano-augmentations, biomods, plasmids, magic spells, skills, perks, attributes or plain equipment. I liked the idea of nano-augmentation because it made some kind of sense with the general setting of the game, so I don't see why it should be changed, but I'm open to other presentations. In the end, I don't think it matters that much (although I admit I think using magic spells with a ring of +5 marksmanship would be kind of dumb for a Deus Ex game).

Of course, if you are saying that Deus Ex should be more like Thief and have no, or very little character improvement, than I disagree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Papy View Post
    The central theme for both Deus Ex and Invisible War was not augmentations, but
    spoiler:
    conspiracy
    spoiler:
    But the conspiracy in IW revolved around the control of augmentation technology

Personally, I don't care that much if character improvement is done with nano-augmentations, biomods, plasmids, magic spells, skills, perks, attributes or plain equipment. I liked the idea of nano-augmentation because it made some kind of sense with the general setting of the game, so I don't see why it should be changed, but I'm open to other presentations. In the end, I don't think it matters that much (although I admit I think using magic spells with a ring of +5 marksmanship would be kind of dumb for a Deus Ex game).

Of course, if you are saying that Deus Ex should be more like Thief and have no, or very little character improvement, than I disagree completely.
    Not at all. I want character development and permanent choices. And if it's a DX game, augs probably have to be part of it. I'm just not sure I want augmentation to be a main theme again. I'd rather see them focus on a theme that IW hasn't already mined so heavily.

Augmentation prejudice would make for a rather cliche'd storyline. I've had quite enough of the boo-hoo transhumans being oppressed bullcrap from X-men and various other American comics. Then again were it done tastefully and without spandex...

I would however welcome a more personal plot regarding the Jekyll to Hyde transition of a posthuman, with a large helping of moral decision-making seeing as a certain game which will remain unnamed grossly failed in its promises to deliver on that note. Of course this begs for a protagonist less wooden than Pinnochio and JC Denton...

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by John P. View Post
    In other words: "We have chosen an engine that we'll then give a complete overhaul to make it do what we want." Kinda reminds me of something...
    What Irrational did with the Dark engine?
    What Valve did with the Quake engine?
    What Monolith did with the Build engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
    Augmentation prejudice would make for a rather cliche'd storyline. I've had quite enough of the boo-hoo transhumans being oppressed bullcrap from X-men and various other American comics.
    The theme in X-Men is prejudice against how you were born. A far more interesting theme is prejudice against how you CHOOSE to be.

Still Subjective
    Agreed. I think this could make a very interesting premise. And thanks to everyone who jogged my memory about the aug prejudice in DX1. I've still to see how much it exists in DXIW.

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    [SPOILER]I'm just not sure I want augmentation to be a main theme again. I'd rather see them focus on a theme that IW hasn't already mined so heavily.
    I see nothing wrong with the idea, but do you have any theme in mind? Personally, I must admit a don't have any precise idea about what I'd like to see. My only requirements is that it must not be a politically correct or selfish theme.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    The theme in X-Men is prejudice against how you were born. A far more interesting theme is prejudice against how you CHOOSE to be.
    I still don't like the idea, but... I'll propose a compromise. Replace "how you choose to be" by "how other people choose to be", put me in the middle of this, and now I could be interested. Like heywood, I'm wary about some kind of déjà vu, but I also think the theme could be viewed from a fresh angle. So in the end I have no clear opinion on the subject. The only thing I don't want is the theme to be about me. I don't care much about what happens to me, particularly in a video game, but I do care about ideas or what could happen to other people. Basically, I want a greater goal.

"Augumented people enter from the back" LOL - that has so many double entendres!

I like the idea of prejudice against people who choose to allow biomechanics to become a part of them. Makes for a very interesting development - and one that might even occur in RL very soon. I know that US soldiers in Iraq have been given options to "enhance" their nightvision through a simple operation which modifies their cones or something. Too lazy to dig up a link.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by failure2comply View Post
    "Augumented people enter from the back" LOL - that has so many double entendres!
    If by "so many", you mean "exactly one", then yeah.

Still Subjective
    I know that US soldiers in Iraq have been given options to "enhance" their nightvision through a simple operation which modifies their cones or something. Too lazy to dig up a link.
    Snap out of it. Link please.

Sigh...here. Took me all of ten seconds to find.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Nothing wrong with blazing a path in single entendre comedy.

Still Subjective
    Sigh...here. Took me all of ten seconds to find.
    Don't firking sigh at me when you said to their cones. I've never heard of any surgery to cones and googling cones and eye surgery comes up with nada.

Technically, that still leaves you with two choices...

Don't firking sigh
    I'll fucking sigh at you all I want. I don't care how senior you are in here.

Still Subjective
    What? Senior? What? Who gives a crap about that.

Anyhow, surgeries like those are becoming more common.

Still Subjective
    That's just standard laser eye surgery actually. It's nothing new, and I wouldn't think of it as augmentation - it's corrective surgery and pretty common.

Corrective laser surgery, remedial gene therapy, organorobotic transplants, they seem like fairly logical and believable steps in medical advances and not too disconnected from our reality at the moment.

ZylonBane
    Technically, that still leaves you with two choices...
    Yes, hence *one* double entendre.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101520 ... LastLast