TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast

Thread: Production on Deus Ex 3 officially announced

Still Subjective
    Quote Originally Posted by Scots Taffer View Post
    they seem like fairly logical and believable steps in medical advances and not too disconnected from our reality at the moment.
    Oh, for sure. Laser eye surgery works on a very simple concept that requires advanced technology. It's the things that have complex concepts that are going to be an arse to get working, just like gene therapy. I see robotics as the next big thing medically, and the step from medically useful robotic prosthetics to robotic enhancements is just a step and some cash away from that. Heck, I already want one of those Japanese power suits.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Yes, hence *one* double entendre.
    Quite. failure2comply fails to get it itt. And it's noticed by 2 "senior" members omg would you believe senior conspiracy in this DX thread. we ARE the illuminuminattlgi

Heck, I already want one of those Japanese power suits.
    Link.

Just kidding. I'll do my own search.

Still Subjective
    http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ower_suit.html

First link from google search "japanese power suit". Unlike you, I included the correct terms in my post. THAT is why I was telling you not to sigh at me - you had messed up. Not that you'll understand what I'm saying; I predict a reply which shows this.

Dang - can't do it.
    Last edited by failure2comply; 2nd Dec 2007 at 22:53.

Here's one the US military has had in development. Somehow it reminds me more of Starcraft than Deus Ex though:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=109_1195663753

Still Subjective
    These suits are going to come on in leaps and bounds, no pun intended. Seriously, in 20 years time or less you'll be able to get them as easily as a scooter.

Based on some of the issues that came up with the Segway's launch, I shudder to imagine the glitches that will crop up with mass market power suits D:

Quote Originally Posted by failure2comply View Post
    "Augumented people enter from the back" LOL - that has so many double entendres!
    If a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?

(Think about it)

(Edit : and before someone say this is not what the saying is about on a philosophical level, yes I know.)

The concepts that the plot of Deus Ex danced around were sudtle. My biggest complaint about IW is that what philosophical content it had felt (a) tacked on and was (b) pounded into your skull with all the sudtlety of a KKK rally...

...which lets me segway neatly into my worry about DX3.
    The whole discimination against modified humans angle.
    It's a horrible concept!

First off it's implausible. It's just not gona happen on a wide scale.

Secondly it's ripping off X-men which is a, literaly, comic book level plagery of the history of racial injustice in the United States. It's one of the most un-sudtle, boring, beat to death subjects ever.

So great job there, you take a series that started off quoting G.K. Chesterton, Thomas Aquinas and discussing the low level social forces behind government and religion and dumb it down to the 4th grade level.

They'll probably toss excerpts from "I Have A Dream" onto the books scattered around the levels and expect us to believe they have produced social commentary. Racism is bad, we get it.

Seriously, don't give us crap you came up with on your lunch break. Come back when you hire a real writer.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Joben View Post
    Secondly it's ripping off X-men which is a, literaly, comic book level plagery of the history of racial injustice in the United States.
    It most certainly is not, comic book spaz.

In X-Men, being a mutant is something you're born into. That's what makes it a commentary on racism.

In the DX universe, on the other hand, augs are something that people choose. Those who can afford them, get them. This makes the theme not racism, but rather, class struggle. Haves vs have-nots.

The only thing augmentees and mutants have in common (and granted, this is significant) is that the social stigma of physical difference is combined with genuine physical and/or mental superiority. DX3 would be wise not to overly emphasize this angle, precisely because it would invite unwarranted comparisons to X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Joben View Post
    Seriously, don't give us crap you came up with on your lunch break. Come back when you hire a real writer.
    You're getting very worked up considering we've only seen one very early trailer

*nods to Zylon* Touche, thats a good point on class struggle. Maybe the concept is redemable.

However quibbles aside you do agree that prejudice against transhumans is already well worked ground.
    Hence my worry about it being included in the teaser.

D'Juhn Keep lol no I'm not particularly worked up.

New interview.

Highlights:

D'Astous: Without going into specifics, what we've done the past several months with both games is read a lot of archives about how it was perceived. There's obvious features that we definitely want to continue. I think the dialogue, choice versus consequences, the depth and richness of the game is something that we will certainly conserve. There are other more specific features that we want to keep...That's why we're working on a schedule that we're trying to respect as much as possible, but definitely the game will not be published until it has obtained a certain level of quality according to us...The success of the first game lies in that it was very well-done. The storyline was well-built. We're going to be working hard to have a solid and in-depth storyline that will give players the chance to replay.The replayability is also very important.
    Very generic responses, but it doesn't seem too bad.

D'Astous: And just one more example of how we're trying to be transparent: this Saturday in Montreal, we're opening our doors to do an Open House. We're inviting the public, the families of the employees, and even the competition to come walk through our studios and see what we're all about. In the future, if there are some fans that would like to come down to Montreal for whatever reason and go through our studio, it would be our pleasure to organize something. We really want to work closely, not behind closed doors.
    Am I the only one who can see headlines like "Montreal forum members storm studio, harass employees, and steal all the dry erase markers."

It also mentions in the interview that the next press-release will probably be next year, during the summer months.

In the DX universe, on the other hand, augs are something that people choose. Those who can afford them, get them. This makes the theme not racism, but rather, class struggle. Haves vs have-nots.
    Both with Deus Ex and Invisible War, things were not that simple. To me, ideology about what is human nature was more important than some "class struggle", at least as far as modifications are concerned.

When the two terrorists talk about Gunther, it feels to me it's more about ideology than a mere question of money. Same thing for the Templars of Invisible War. The different comments about the Omars from the game also show that modification is not a simple question of "haves vs have-nots".

I will agree some comments clearly showed biomodifications had values, but most of the time it was from people who were already modified in the first place. I don't remember a lot of comments from "ordinary" people saying they wish they could have money to have those modifications.

Of course, class struggle was one of the important point of the story of both Deus Ex and Invisible War. With Deus Ex it was mainly visible with the gray death, while with Invisible War it was mainly with arcologies. Modifications were not really related to this class struggle. It was only viewed as a way to end class struggle with Invisible War, but not what people were fighting for.

Having said that, the class struggle is an interesting point of view that is rarely done in games, at least not in a prominent way. But the question now is : if the player is supposed to be one of those "haves", how would you implement the concept of moral choices you were talking about? In the case of BioShock, the moral choice was : would you kill people to take their resources. Is that what you imply? Do you have something else in mind?

Edit : Wow, wow, wow!!! I just noticed the "this Saturday in Montreal, we're opening our doors to do an Open House. We're inviting the public, the families of the employees, and even the competition to come walk through our studios and see what we're all about". Holy shit! What Saturday are they talking about? If it's December 8th... I think I'll know what I'll be doing of that date!
    Last edited by Papy; 4th Dec 2007 at 11:32.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Papy View Post
    But the question now is : if the player is supposed to be one of those "haves", how would you implement the concept of moral choices you were talking about?
    I never said anything about moral choice. I merely suggested that different parties would react to you differently depending on your degree of augmentation.

I'm imagining a character development spectrum with full augmentation but general NPC hostility at one end, and minimal augmentation but very helpful NPCs at the other.

Like most RPGs, the idea would be to make both choices viable, coming down to nothing more than personal preference. And like the best RPGs, it wouldn't try to dictate which path is the "good" one. I like a little philosophical ambiguity in my games.

Ok... Sorry to have misunderstood you.

Papy, from the looks of it in the other thread in general gaming, I think they might have been talking about December 1st. Still, if you show up and talk to them, they might let you have a look around.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane D'Astous
    In the future, if there are some fans that would like to come down to Montreal for whatever reason and go through our studio, it would be our pleasure to organize something. We really want to work closely, not behind closed doors.
    Last edited by The_Raven; 4th Dec 2007 at 13:49.

Papy if you're near Montreal you should definitely double check that date to see if might be the 8th. It still isn't clear (to me) what's official, and I'm afraid my uninformed post is perpetuating the Dec 1 idea. If we can get someone from team TTLG to give us a first-hand report it would be awesome.

Unfortunately, the open house was on December 1. Oh, well...

Is there anyone else who lives in Montréal beside me? It is certainly not a good idea if 25 people go knocking at their door, but maybe we could designate one person and try to get some contacts. I don't think I'm a good candidate for the job but if there is no one else...

Maybe this time you'll be a cyborg who thinks you're a mech modified human?

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    So... a cyborg who thinks he's a cyborg?

So... a cyborg who thinks he's a cyborg?

More like you were never human. But think you're a modified human.

ZylonBane
    So... an android who thinks he's a cyborg?

I just want Six Million Dollar Man sound effects.

EDIT: Punching through concrete walls would be good, too. Just as long as it isn't a tree punching simulator.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Cyborg. A human who has certain physiological processes aided or controlled by mechanical or electronic devices.

Android - An automaton that resembles a human being.

I think you meant to say "an android who thinks you're a cyborg". Isn't that basically the case in Deus Ex? Iirc, both Dentons were born out of a test tube and were implanted or brainwashed with fake memories (for example what Paul says at the start of the game about the Dentons' parents being so proud of them), so, while most of their DNA is derived from humans, and they're more cyborg than android (physiologically), it could be argued that they're just incredibly advanced bio-androids (and, unlike Gunther, probably never signed up to become cyberized, to use a Shirowian phrase).

ZB's got some good ideas, too.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111621 ... LastLast