TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoGuy View Post
    Could you at least show us some pics, so we can see how it looked like?
    I didn't take any screenshots of that section before I deleted it, sorry!
    But here are some screenshots showing the mission at different stages of its development:
    http://darkfate.ru/?thumbs=files/fan..._2/screenshots (thanks clearing, for collecting them!)

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Sept 30 2010

Progress on "Castle of the Dead"-The Abyss for T2 Yes, that is Bafford's just like in Thief Gold. This is it's sequel which starts at Bafford's. Good ole "Lord Bafford"

Right now I am waiting for DromEd to finish computing the lighting (raycast). I have only 1 brush light (for testing), but DromEd has already been at it for over an hour now. I'm beginning to fear the worst, but hopefully it's finished today, which I though prefer to refer to as "tomorrow" (yeah, today only becomes tomorrow when I say so (i.e. after a good night's sleep)).

I got carried away again and built these caves with a lot of crazy stairs and walkways all over the place. No problem with the polycount (it gets high, but never more than a 1000), but I'm hitting the "back face checks"-limit (> 12000), which causes some brush faces to turn black (no crashes yet, though).

I'm going to rebuild some stuff tomorrow and see if that helps. Otherwise I will have to delete some decorative details or think of something else.
    Last edited by qolelis; 3rd Oct 2010 at 06:48. Reason: Wrong terminology...

After around seven hours of sleep I awoke to a DromEd that was still trying to figure out how to light my cursed caves, so I had to put it out of its misery...

I might have to put the mission out of its misery too, it was too good to be true... I'll try to rebuild it first, though, and maybe I'll get lucky.

This is what way too complex terrain looks like, by the way:

What DromEd failed to light I failed to talk DromEd into lighting is the part marked in red (I had it MeOnly:ed at the time). To the right we see stairs, then we have two levels of walkways, some stalagmites/stalactites, more stairs, lots of dodecahedrons and up above (out of sight) there are more stairs and stalactites, walkways and dodecahedrons ("Did you really think it would be that easy? Yeah, for a second there, I kind of did."). Strangely enough, the "polygons rendered" didn't hit the roof (only went up to around 900 at the most); it was the "back face checks" that didn't only hit the roof, but went completely through it.

"Shall I wail and gnash my teeth? Nay, I shall tear it down and begin anew."
    Last edited by qolelis; 3rd Oct 2010 at 06:47. Reason: Changed the wording just slightly...

I'd suggest that you try deleting the brush light, and replace it with an appropriate fnord HackLight and make sure it has the radius set to something sane (say 100/120). Light brushes do not have a radius setting, so dromed is attempting to calculate the light hitting every vertex in your level from that one light, regardless of how far away from the light it is. By using a hacklight with a radius, you are telling dromed to skip calculating the lighting for verticies that are outside the light radius.

Also, you're right about getting carried away - if you can get that to work, it'll be bloody impressive.

Aha, that explains it. Replacing the brush light solved the problem. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Also, you're right about getting carried away - if you can get that to work, it'll be bloody impressive.
    Well, I sort of made it work but not without deleting stuff...

I deleted the top part of the area (which wasn't needed anyway), moved parts of it, lowered the ceiling and closed off some parts to limit the line of sight. I could keep the major part though. Back face checks are now down to around 8000 at max.

I think it's okay now. I still have to smooth out some details (which will take a couple of hours), though, so things can still go wrong.

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    This is what way too complex terrain looks like, by the way:
    Eeeeeek! Yes, that's what. Wow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1..jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	686

So I'm working away, placing things about my mission, and all of a sudden I get this unexpected crash. So I try to restart DromEd, only the hard drive that DromEd is on isn't there any more, along with all my work for the past 2 years.

Fortunately a restart and the drive shows up again. Needless to say, I'm copying everything on it elsewhere.

Good thing the hard drive appeared again after the reset.
    I always keep a back up of all my work on three different machines.

Well, on the subject of losing things, I could tell you a quite embarrassing story about a person who was writing a script for copying folders to another location, but ended up deleting his/her entire FM projects folder instead and still to this day s/he has no idea how s/he managed to do that. (this text has been deliberately anonymized to protect the not so innocent)

The very anonymous person mentioned above had backups of everything, luckily.

Call me paranoid, but I keep copies of my missions (and other important stuff) on 5 different devices:
    2 external HDDs
    2 memory sticks
    1 my computer's HDD

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Fortunately a restart and the drive shows up again. Needless to say, I'm copying everything on it elsewhere.
    It's always a good idea to keep backups on a different physical device than the original - at least a different hard drive in a given machine (not just partition on the same drive - drives can and will fail, usually when you least want it), but better if it's on a different machine altogether, even better if its on a remote machine, so that events that might take out one machine are unlikely to get the other, short of nuclear war or something.

I'd offer a copy of my backup script, but it requires an install of cygwin, and a linux server to back up onto...

The Architect
    Dromed and Windows 7. Will it blend?

Very soon I am expected to let go of my old laptop. It's my XP machine and thus my dromeding machine, and I am very uncomfortable with the idea of trying to dromed in Windows 7. Should I be worried, or is the end of my dromeding career as I know it?

There is nothing to worry about. I'm running DromEd + Windows 7 on two different machines (one 32 Bit, the other 64 Bit) since August '09 and I never had any problems, except for NVScript not working properly (but that's an issue since Windows Vista).

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    Eeeeeek! Yes, that's what. Wow.

I'm finally done with the changes to the faulting area and everything is now fine. I also had a little encounter with my area brushes (learning that they can both mask errors and cause them): When I did "Show All", I got an error which wasn't there before and it turned out that the size of one area brush somehow masked the error (resizing it made the error show up), so I had to delete one terrain brush at a time to find the offending one, and then I had to adjust that brush (more or less randomly ("educated guess")), optimize, get an error and restart DromEd a couple of times before the error was gone. There was also a certain combination of two activated area brushes that caused an error, but the same error did not show up with "Show All", so that was a false alarm.
    Last edited by qolelis; 4th Oct 2010 at 11:29.

Mirrored RAID is ncie.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Dromed and Windows 7. Will it blend?
    It works more-or-less okay, apart from some annoying issues with it disabling Aero once you go into game mode for the first time, which generally leads me to quit DromEd after each game mode session.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Mirrored RAID is ncie.
    I used to think so, then my system corrupted one drive and mirrored the corruption to the other. Mirroring is no substitute for backups. It helps in case of a drive failure, but not in case of a virus attack or electronic hiccup. I knew that professionally, but had not realized it at a deeper level until it was brought home personally. I now have a 2nd hard drive that I copy my main drive onto after "major" work and a Backup setup to an external drive which saves every change in a compressed format nightly. And I still don't feel safe. I'm thinking of adding a third drive for RAID mirroring to complete the 360.

The first draft of a map for my mission:

Hmmm, houses in a large tree... That looks like an interesting mission

Another Spelling Test

I couldn't help myself. I had to add another riddled side quest to cast a spell. Too easy? Too hard?

Mother Mercy's Mixed Drinks

Gather these to test your mettle,
    Each and every in the kettle
    You must place them, let them settle.
    Next two bottles, both with stopper,
    You must add within the copper,
    Last the lid, the kettle's topper.

I

Hickory, ash, alder and oak,
    I never cough despite the smoke.
    I did no crime yet I was hung,
    Inhaled my last without a lung.
    When quick I'm wet, when still I'm dry,
    I shed no tears from either eye.

II

I keep my heart inside my head;
    And on one leg I stand in bed;
    I can be white or green or red.
    When packed in barrels, sailors said,
    I closed the wounds that never bled
    And packed their teeth back in their head.

III

Thrust in the dark, you twist my tongue;
    Heave from behind, then quick, I'm sprung,
    Soft my groaning, quiet pleasure,
    Midnight ward of Lady Treasure.
    Withdrawn, your soft dangling tether
    holds your part tied tight with leather.

The lid in place, the spell is cast,
    Within the vials, liquids fast
    And hidden, now, are both englassed.
    Drink one to shield you from all sight
    The other speeds you fast as light;
    Each can help to avoid a fight.
    Save them, until the time is right.
    Last edited by LarryG; 9th Oct 2010 at 16:16. Reason: spelling (npi!)

I've taken this old thing up again.

My last few sessions have been unusually productive. I've finally dealt with a design obstacle (self-created) that has been bothering me for a quite a while. I boxed myself in building the city portions around the mansion, and I just couldn't bring myself to tear up the streets and rebuild. Fortunately the mission's premise begs me to do bizarre things.

Here is an unremarkable shot of a corridor within the mansion.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    You're going to really like a soon-to-be-released mission.

Classical Master 2008
    vexd: I see what you did there.

Egads, 6 pages since I posted a screenshot... I'm revisiting the kitchen area (while trying to decide what to do with some upstairs rooms), and fleshing it out a bit...

I need to decide what, if anything, to put to the right side of the range... I may just leave it, or maybe stick a table there.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    I need to decide what, if anything, to put to the right side of the range...
    how would doorway to small food storage sound?
    or maybe a small depth in wall with some wine barrels/bottles on it? (and of course, with that one golden bottle in there too )

Page 130 of 311 FirstFirst ... 3080859095100105110115120125126127128129130131132133134135140145150155160165170175180230 ... LastLast