TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

  1. #3476
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2010
    Location: Russia
    I knew, that next reply say it

  2. #3477
    Classical Master 2008
    Registered: Jun 2002
    Location: Civitas Quinqueecclesiensis HU
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    No one in their right mind would do that, when Thief 2's engine is better in every single way.
    Soooo, Professor Nameless Voice, we meet again! But this time, I get to say it: TDM's engine is better in (almost) every single way. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!














    (sorry )

  3. #3478
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2010
    Location: Russia
    Likewise, something develop the missions (and campaign, too) for Thief: Deadly Shadows, despite the fact, that Dark Mod is better in every single way.

  4. #3479
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Yet those are completely different engines.

    Using Thief Gold instead of Thief 2 is like purposefully making a mission for the original version of Thief 2 instead of using patch v1.18. You can achieve the exact same effect in the newer version, yet it also has many more features and improvements over the old version.

  5. #3480
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2010
    Location: Russia
    That's why I did not create a topic. Begins asshole.

  6. #3481
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    If you're going to insult me instead of offering a logical counter-argument, then you could at least insult me in a grammatically correct and understandable manner.


    Instead, I'll ask this: have you ever played the Thief 2 fan mission "Falling Down", which was an entry in the Thief Anniversary Contest?

  7. #3482
    Clearinghouse
    Registered: Aug 2002
    Location: Siberia, Russia
    I love Thief1! Good luck, LongShad

  8. #3483
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2010
    Location: Russia
    If you're going to insult me instead of offering a logical counter-argument, then you could at least insult me in a grammatically correct and understandable manner.
    Is second reason, why i don't want post to TTLG, i bad speak to English.

    And i think, for players no difference which engine was uses. Is only developers debates.
    Last edited by LongShad; 15th Jan 2011 at 17:31.

  9. #3484
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2008
    Location: behind your eyeball
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    No one in their right mind would do that, when Thief 2's engine is better in every single way.
    Except the bunny hop.

  10. #3485
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Formby, NW England
    The Dromed 1 vs Dromed 2 argument has been done many times, so let's not begin asshole.

  11. #3486
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: LosAngeles: Between Amusements
    You say potato I say cucumber.

    Some people believe that better art comes from certain media. A gifted water colorist will accomplish beauty because of the limitations of that media, while another artist might wonder why the water colorist doesn't work in an easier medium. They just chose not to. That's it.

    I have no idea why the Brits want to drive on the "wrong" side of the road, but they do. And they have no idea why Yanks want to drive on the "wrong" side of the road either, but we do. No rational argument will change the fact the we drive on different sides.

    So why debate something which inherently comes down to personal preference? It is what it is. The key question for me is "Should this be a forum that makes water colorists feel unwelcome?" I hope not, despite the fact that I, personally, don't want to be one.
    Last edited by LarryG; 15th Jan 2011 at 22:05.

  12. #3487
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2006
    Location: On the tip of your tongue.
    Yeees, although I'd say the flaws in Dromed 1 are worse than the difficulties of using watercolours!

    More like the difference between painting in Photoshop using a mouse, and painting in Photoshop with a graphics tablet. You can literally get almost the exact same results, but one is much, much easier.

    But, I totally agree that anyone should be welcome to take that harder road if that's their preference! I don't think many people round here would deliberately not play a mission just cos it's for Thief 1. However, it's always worth pointing out that you can get the same results with less problems in Thief 2, in case the Dromeder isn't aware of that.

  13. #3488

  14. #3489

  15. #3490
    Member
    Registered: Jun 2001
    Location: Moscow
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    Using Thief Gold instead of Thief 2 is like purposefully making a mission for the original version of Thief 2 instead of using patch v1.18. You can achieve the exact same effect in the newer version, yet it also has many more features and improvements over the old version.
    This is a completely lame analogy because a patch is an update for a software product, whereas a second game in the series is completely another entry to the franchise. Thief 2 doesn't patch Thief 1, it adds alternative to it. That's why there are lots of perfect reasons to build mods for Thief 1 and/or Gold, and I really wish there were more missions for Thief 1/G.

    By the way, now I see why there is no version of NVScript for Thief 1. Puty.

  16. #3491
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2001
    Location: Ireland
    Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    This is a completely lame analogy because a patch is an update for a software product, whereas a second game in the series is completely another entry to the franchise. Thief 2 doesn't patch Thief 1, it adds alternative to it. That's why there are lots of perfect reasons to build mods for Thief 1 and/or Gold, and I really wish there were more missions for Thief 1/G.
    My argument isn't about the game itself, but rather its engine. Hence my point of asking about missions like Falling Down, which is a Thief 1-styled FM, complete with the classic Thief 1 menus and everything, but built in DromEd 2 and making use of its extra functionality.

    Quote Originally Posted by d'Spair View Post
    By the way, now I see why there is no version of NVScript for Thief 1. Puty.
    I did try making one once, but I think it didn't work right and I didn't have the motivation to spend too long looking into why.
    Edit: I do have a version of NVScript which works with Thief 1. At least, a quick test of NVRelayTrap seemed to work. I think I even released it on the forums at some point? It's very largely untested, though.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 16th Jan 2011 at 19:30.

  17. #3492
    Member
    Registered: Mar 2005
    Location: The Inverted Manse
    I totally agree with NV. You can get the exact feeling and look of T1 in Dromed 2. You can even make Garrett run a bit slower using the customs scripts, if you wanted to. I don't understand why any one would want to use D1, while D2 is so much superior and has a wider audience.

    Recently I had a brush with D1 (while fixing Rigging The Votes) and learned my lesson.

  18. #3493
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2001
    Location: Drinking baby lemonade!
    Ok, well back on topic, I'm having problems finding any time this weekend, but when I have, I've been assembling a humorous bonus scene for my contest mission.

  19. #3494
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: LosAngeles: Between Amusements
    Alpha_LeoReynold&#115.jpg

    Still got lots to do with the first mission in the campaign, let alone the whole thing, but I did get a zip created which works with GL (and I hope DL). So it's off to my Alpha testers to take a look at mission 1 while I continue working at finishing it (environmentals, AI patrols, mini-mission elements, goals, loot, and other stuff).

  20. #3495
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: Between dreams and shadows...
    I'm in the middle of attempting.... an experiment. It involves creating an object that contains 12 double-sided squares (formed from triangles) at various orientations, and many squares intersect. Half of those squares are supposed to be subobjects that rotate around axles...

    Of course, bsp and I seem not to be agreeing on this. It appears to process the object properly:

    Code:
    root aa: 
       s(@s05aa -> @x05aa0000) 
       s(@s04aa -> @x04aa0000) 
       s(@s03aa -> @x03aa0000) 
       s(@s02aa -> @x02aa0000) 
       s(@s01aa -> @x01aa0000) 
       s(@s00aa -> @x00aa0000)
    
    Warning: atomic 21a@s00aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 20a@s00aa cuts 29aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 19a@s00aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 18a@s00aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 17a@s01aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 16a@s01aa cuts 33aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 15a@s01aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 14a@s01aa cuts 33aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 13a@s02aa cuts 33aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 12a@s02aa cuts 33aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 11a@s02aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 10a@s02aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 9a@s03aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 8a@s03aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 7a@s03aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 6a@s03aa cuts 31aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 5a@s04aa cuts 31aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 4a@s04aa cuts 31aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 3a@s05aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 2a@s05aa cuts 31aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 1a@s05aa cuts 32aa:aa
    Warning: atomic 0a@s05aa cuts 32aa:aa
    12 polygons, 0 split, 0 split planes
    2 polygons, 0 split, 0 split planes
    2 polygons, 0 split, 0 split planes
    2 polygons, 0 split, 0 split planes
    2 polygons, 0 split, 0 split planes
    2 polygons, 0 split, 0 split planes
    2 polygons, 0 split, 0 split planes
    Yet, while in game, or looking at the object in View, the subobjects appear to have vanished. Most vexing... but now, jury duty. Fighting bsp later...

  21. #3496
    Member
    Registered: Nov 2002
    Location: ColoRADo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    I'm in the middle of attempting.... an experiment. It involves creating an object that contains 12 double-sided squares (formed from triangles) at various orientations, and many squares intersect. Half of those squares are supposed to be subobjects that rotate around axles...

    Of course, bsp and I seem not to be agreeing on this. It appears to process the object properly:


    Yet, while in game, or looking at the object in View, the subobjects appear to have vanished. Most vexing... but now, jury duty. Fighting bsp later...
    pics would deffinately help on that one.

    All I can say for now is that using 0000 is good for keeping BSP fromthinking the parts move through each other.
    However, do some of them start intersected? I'f so I'd try to position them so they aren't.

  22. #3497
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: Between dreams and shadows...
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwaa2 View Post
    However, do some of them start intersected? I'f so I'd try to position them so they aren't.
    Yeah, about that... (yes, there really is a good reason for that unholy mess, and if I can actually get it to work properly it'll look awesome)

    All the axles are currently set up as @x0Naa0000 - if I actually use anything other than 0000 there, bsp dies before writing the .bin. I'm probably going to try splitting it up into three or so objects with four squares apiece to minimise intersections, and see if that works. Once I experiment to see about making an empty or completely transparent base object.

  23. #3498
    Member
    Registered: Jan 2001
    Location: Formby, NW England
    You could try scaling the model in one direction, say by 100, so that some of the points get dragged away from each other, and then scaling it by 0.01 in Dromed (shape > scale property).

  24. #3499
    Member
    Registered: May 2002
    Location: Between dreams and shadows...
    Experiment Number 342b:



    (and yes, the mist moves)

  25. #3500
    Member
    Registered: Aug 2007
    Location: LosAngeles: Between Amusements
    I wondered if it might be something like that. Very cool!

Page 140 of 229 FirstFirst ... 409095100105110115120125130135136137138139140141142143144145150155160165170175180185190 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •