TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

A lot of people around here, myself included, are running DromEd on Windows 7 without problems.

The one thing I really miss about Windows 2000 is the file search. XP broke the "find files containing" functionality by trying to be "smart" and only searching certain filetypes, and the search in Windows 7 is so bad that it's not even funny. So bad I wrote up an AutoHotkey script to automatically start an external search program whenever I hit F3 in Explorer.

Thief1, 1G, 2, TDS, DromEd2 all run just fine in Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    A lot of people around here, myself included, are running DromEd on Windows 7 without problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Thief1, 1G, 2, TDS, DromEd2 all run just fine in Vista.
    I still want a safe backup plan in case I cannot get it to work in Windows 7. I am hopeful about Thief and Windows 7, though, but there are no guarantees.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Went to place a tipped-over font yesterday and was so disgusted by the old hexagonal model that I decided to try my hand at a replacement. This is my first lathe object in Anim8or, and that part was incredibly easy. The texturing was a bitch, though, and took several hours.

I'm still not happy with the texture or my inexperienced UV mapping, but the shape is decent I suppose. Oh and the texture on top isn't really darker, it just looks that way since this font is lit from below. It's about 1400 polys.

Looks very nice. I imagine the holy water will come in handy...yes?

ZylonBane
    Man, that's some crazy water pressure on that font. It's spraying everywhere but into the bowl!

Yandros, looks good and not really familiar with ani8ors workings at all but should be pretty easy to uv that thing.

Mainly just a cylindrical map. And capped ends (so top and bottom parts are planar mapped.)

And just using a cylinder (not lathe) might've been easier. Just have like 5-6 height segs, then grab the verts in each seg and scale them in x/y so you get skinnier/wider parts. (a cylinder in Max is already cylindrical mapped to begin with - not sure if anim8or does that)

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Sly: That's not a holy water fountain, but the one I was placing when I decided to make it probably will be.

ZB: Well, there's a 16'x16' pool around the fountain, so I think it's supposed to miss the bowl!

Schwaa: If Anim8or supports cylindrical mapping, I'll be really happy since it will save me 2 hours of painstakingly selecting and plane mapping groups of individual polys next time I have an object like this. But I don't think it does - if someone with more experience than me with Anim8or can say for certain, please do so. Or maybe I just need to learn one of the free UV mapping tools out there, like LithUnwrap. Does anyone use that and recommend it? Anything would be better than what I had to do with the font.

Also, I found the lathe object incredibly easy and intuitive, I had just never tried it before. I used to make lots of objects that way using Moray, a plug-in for POV-Ray. It would have taken me longer probably to do it from a cylinder, but that also sounds easy.

My biggest problem with Anim8or right now is getting a bookcase to build. I need to replace about 3 or 4 different size bookcases currently made from brushes with objects in DCE. I've built the first one three different ways, and all attempts have blown up BSP so far. And of course, the funny thing is I've made more complicated bookcases before without such issues, I just can't remember how I did it!

Edit:
    I found here where Sluggs suggests AccuTrans 3D for UV Mapping, so I'm going to give that a whirl at some point.
    Last edited by Yandros; 8th Feb 2011 at 17:23.

Anim8or has cylindrical and 2 types of sphere mappings as well as planar. I tend to export as obj and use UVMapper & then re-import. Often with sub-objects. I've never gotten past 1st base with LithUnwrap.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Thanks, Larry. After I'm done crying, I'll explore the cylindrical mapping in Anim8or, and check out UVMapper and AccuTrans and then figure out which one is easiest for me.

You need Anim8or v0.97d Preview. It works just fine. But I still prefer the UVMapper results for most cases. I'll try Amim8or's algorithm and look at it, and then I'll export to UNMApper and try that. Sometimes I'll take a 1/8 or 1/12 or 1/16th segment, map that with a tileable texture and then replicate, rotate, and weld. That can give you a very hires look for a low res cost.

Work in progress shots of my first Thief mission.

Looks very promising already, Neb!

Classical Master 2008
    Good shots. I'd put a few object plants in those flowerbeds -- the sponge-like ones as well as leafy ones -- to have a little variety, but the geometry is looking nice.

Thanks, guys. The plants are going in later. Just trying to get the basics fleshed out (and I'm actually finding streets particularly hard).

Classical Master 2008
    Streets work well when you first put down some building footprints via placing semi-random brushes here and there, then work the construction around them, and use a lot of wedge slopes, stairs and such. At least it has worked for me. But it also depends on what, specifically, you find problematic.

I'll keep in mind the stairs and wedge slopes for vertical variation.

I'm placing solid brushes to get a feel for structure, but most of it is turning out quite jarring. The problem is that (unlike interiors) I don't have a form in mind, so it's just blind experimentation.

Are there any resources or rules of thumb anywhere to do with making aesthetically appealing proportions for the very basic block-like elements of buildings?

Neb, I love that original Thief 2 look ^^

I took a month off to finally play Oblivion. It was quite a commitment, but I think I'm done (can't wait for Skyrim )

I'm still mucking about with S7. Some of the alpha testers thought the shield wasn't very useful so I've been tweaking it. Now it lets you shoot through it whilst reflecting laser fire (which doesn't work yet the turrets in the vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nkL-_c0LWY

Effing amazing!

Damn. Still pushing the bar.

Eheh, if you could call this "progress" (Please don't), I've done some dabbling with Dromed (after much skull-bashing). It's obvious I'm still lacking the basic knowledge of even constructing maps, let alone messing around with shapes, but here it is:

Again, if I even knew how to work with dromed, I could be outputting something far more map-like, and less like customizing a box...

But, hey look: Progress!

Sliptip: *Cries and runs into corner* How can I compete with that?!

Albert
    Nice texture, Albert!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Sliptip: *Cries and runs into corner* How can I compete with that?!
    By not trying.

Sounds zen, but the truth of the matter is that comparing your work to anyone else's is going to be discouraging at first. Compare stuff you do now to stuff you did a week, a month, or however long ago. See what you have learnt, what you have managed to create, and keep practising and learning. Keep at it long enough and you will be able to achieve far more than you expect now, but setting yourself up for disappointment at the start will get you nowhere.

Just consider DromEd as a huge playground for your own ideas. No matter what you will come up with, people are going to play and like it.
    As it has been stated in this thread several times: there is no need for breathtaking innovations to create an enjoyable mission. The classic Thief experience is all that most players are looking for, i.e. exploring new parts of the city, roof climbing, finding every last secret and so on.

Page 142 of 311 FirstFirst ... 429297102107112117122127132137138139140141142143144145146147152157162167172177182187192242 ... LastLast