TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Looks good! All you need now is a goat model, so that you can virtually sacrifice the goat to dromed while actually sacrificing a goat to dromed so that you can sacrifice the virtual one. Or something like that...

By way of actual content...

The house move has been completed, and while I still have stuff left on my todo list*, I'm at least able to start fitting in some dromeding. So, today I decided to sort out the clock on the tower:

It's obviously unfinished, if nothing else as a timepiece it's not very handy, but I needed to make sure that the light behind the face would work before I started messing with axles and hands.

* but then, I always have stuff on my todo list...

I am experimenting with object arches to reduce the cell count (and fix the texture alignment for some of them). The first screenshot shows the original arch built from terrain brushes. This particular arch is impossible to texture align in DromEd (because it's rotated 67.5 degrees). You cannot see it in the first screenshot, but if you get up close (second screenshot), you can see the two lines where the alignment fails. An object arch can also provide more details (for example a real frame).

The idea is to simplify the original arch (to reduce the cell count) and cover it with the object arch (using the original arch instead of a bounding box (the object arch in the screenshot has no physmodel). I'll probably put up two bounding boxes along the vertical parts of the arch to avoid the player being able to see the wall behind the arch object ("transmigration").

The third screenshot shows the first testversion of the object arch. I obviously need to fix the UV mapping and extend the arch vertically, but you get the idea.

I suck in general at Anim8or and in particular at Anim8or's UV tool, so I will probably put this on hold until I know how the original arch looks like when properly lighted (maybe the darkness will hide the failed alignment well enough to be passable?). Anim8or skills aside, I'm not sure if the object arch will be a good enough replacement for the original arch or if it's worth the extra effort.

If you want to keep things within Anim8or you really have to plan ahead with UV mapping. I used LithUnwrap for my objects because it was the only way to retain my sanity.

Recently I switched to Blender 2.56. I'd tried previous versions but for me the interface was always broken. 2.56 has some video tutorials, and after watching them I'm quite happy with it. Two simple advantages:
    1) The mesh doesn't have to be split up to allow different types of UV mapping on one object.
    2) No need to export to another program, so no intermediate files left lying around.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I've spent the last few weeks making about 30 different cop skins for DCE.

Classical Master 2008
    Those are very good - plus the texturework behind them is also nice, even with the high gamma.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That's caused by a huge omnilight I have above them so I can see the skins clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    If you want to keep things within Anim8or you really have to plan ahead with UV mapping. I used LithUnwrap for my objects because it was the only way to retain my sanity.
    Yeah, Anim8or isn't very forgiving: It's Anim8or's way of doing things or nothing at all - and Anim8or's way of doing things is not always compatible with how I want to do things.

So, I guess I should split my arch up in 2-3 parts: the actual arch and the front and back, and then UV-map them separately. Okay, I can hopefully do that without having to start all over again. I still feel out of control when trying to use Anim8or's UV tool; if I somehow succeed anyway, it just feels like I got lucky instead of learning something (and I miss the ability to put in exact numbers like in DromEd). Oh well, at least it's free...

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul
    Recently I switched to Blender 2.56. I'd tried previous versions but for me the interface was always broken. 2.56 has some video tutorials, and after watching them I'm quite happy with it. Two simple advantages:
    1) The mesh doesn't have to be split up to allow different types of UV mapping on one object.
    2) No need to export to another program, so no intermediate files left lying around.
    Thanks for the tips. Aah yes, Blender... that's some really potent software - if only I could learn how to use it, or even navigate its interface...

The idea was to lower the cell count (to be able to re-replace some of my object beams (to avoid the bouncing effect you get when climbing down on an OBB on a rope)), but still keep the finer curves. I'll see what I end up doing, though; I might just simplify most of my arches (except the ones in my chapel), skip the object arches and then spend the extra cells on nice frames built from terrain brushes. Using objects for terrain isn't optimal (as you all know), especially not if the player will be able to get up close.

I will play around with LithUnwrap before I decide. It seems to be able to do exactly what I want (it allows me to put in exact numbers), thanks for the tip. I will definitely use this for other objects in the future.

@Yandros:
    Those look great.

Edit:
    LithUnwrap solved all my UV problems It's real easy to work with and I love it already.

Next up is to get it to light properly and to stop the player from peaking through it. Hmmm... the arched part will require a good number of invisible physmodels to get right... and this isn't the only arch I will have to replace... so I might run out of objects instead of cells :/

Edit 2:
    Also being able to place all the invisible physmodels without their centers being inside a solid could prove tricky...

Edit 3:

Without doing anything, the arch's surfaces aren't lighted at all.
    Last edited by qolelis; 15th Mar 2011 at 17:22.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Wow Russ, those are Great looking skins ! And I agree, the texture work behind them is outstanding !

Agreed! Those look amazing Yandros

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Thanks guys, the skins are mine but the awesome texture work behind them is by Polygon, about 6 years ago.

Yandros. Those are super! 30 different ones!!!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Well, 30 flavors of skins for the 7 basic sword and archer sheriff's guard meshes. Four or five skins per mesh, with different faces and slight variations in accouterments within each group. We may very well not use them all.

Oh, and, I forgot - a BIG THANKS to Otto, I based them on his city watch skins.

They sure look grumpy enough Good job!

You know how an AI's alert sounds can interrupt their mumbling...

I was just playtesting one of my missions, and I was briefly seen by a Hammerite, but he quickly calmed down. Then I heard him say "And the Builder said - nothing there now"

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I've been successful at importing the art easel object from Rose Cottage into Anim8or (thanks to getting the original 3ds file from Saturnine) and am now dissecting it into separate objects and making certain textures reskinnable. R_T and I have to furnish a small art studio with them and don't want identical paint splatters on all the dropcloths and canvases.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    You know how an AI's alert sounds can interrupt their mumbling...

I was just playtesting one of my missions, and I was briefly seen by a Hammerite, but he quickly calmed down. Then I heard him say "And the Builder said - nothing there now"
    Hit a robot with your blackjack at the correct time and he will say: "When I was newly-forged, Karras took me away from the foundry-mother and said: I do not know. Wretched creature! Please be warned.. a misguided soul..."

Right now I am saying goodbye to most of my nicely curved arches

I could have saved them, but it turns out that I will have to replace some of my object beams with solid terrain brushes, which will increase the cell count and the only thing left now is simplifying my arches. Replacing the arches with nicely curved objects is not worth the trade-offs.

I suggest making the arches out of 8 sided cylinders, aligned by sides. They look like a deliberate design choices and not at all like an admission of defeat.

Besides working out patrol patterns that make life a challenge for young Garrett, I've been replacing ugly old placeholder art with better looking (IMHO) watercolors.

Old
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump008..jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	906

New
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump006..jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	907

I'm starting by replacing some arches with simple square doorways. They actually didn't need to be arches since I'm going to have to put a door there later. For each arch I replace or rebuild or possible remove altogether, I will add another terrain beam. For the remaining arches I'll do whatever will save the most cells.

I might be able to rebuild some more stairs too (I could actually save some cells by simply ending each step in two stairs).

I've been working on the sewers, I think I've finally managed to get a handle on the layout after many false starts. Now I just have to argue with flow groups to avoid jorgewater.

Building these things is kinda draining...

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Building these things is kinda draining...
    Building sewers is draining

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Nothing too exciting, but I've been going through and adding roombrushes to my 95% built level. I was an idiot when I first started building because I used brush size-12 for everything, and I've spent the last few days just readjusting about 800 brushes to the size-14 grid and then making sure everything looks good again.

I just learned that holding down the Insert key while having a brush selected is a bad idea I was supposed to press keypad 4, to move the brush, but somehow missed

Other than that, replacing object beams is going fine: Right now I'm thinking about deleting them instead... That would free up a lot of cells for adding some details that I had decided to skip, but would actually want to add. I added the beams for Garrett to be able to climb more, but there might be enough climbing already.

Edit:
    Another idea is to make all affected beams out of metal instead of wood. That way, Garrett would not be able to shoot rope arrows into them and climb down onto a beam (just to bounce back up) and the beams could be turned back into objects and also still be kept for their structural (and visual) value. Metal isn't the preferred material, though...

Edit 2:
    Deleting the terrain beams I have added so far freed up 300 cells. I would like to add some real built-in bookshelves, but was going to add them as decals to save cells: I wonder how many I can build with 300 cells...
    Last edited by qolelis; 22nd Mar 2011 at 23:17.

Page 145 of 311 FirstFirst ... 4595100105110115120125130135140141142143144145146147148149150155160165170175180185190195245 ... LastLast