TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Quote Originally Posted by DrK View Post
    For example, the green wallpaper is from Ramirez mansion. The window is from the original thief. I just made them look darker and with a higher resolution. These details kinda help to keep it thiefy.
    If you have high-res remakes of original Thief textures, why aren't you submitting them to the EP?

Classical Master 2008
    Of course it doesn't look like thief at all, but I'm trying to create a global feeling close to the original game. It's hard to tell from the screens, it's all about atmosphere and gameplay.
    Well, sure, that works! (And in your shots, it works well.)

L'architecte de Rocksbourg
    Because it's not really the same, my textures are much darker. I make them to fit the dirty atmosphere of my fm, not to be exactly like the original.
    For example the Ramirez wallpaper.

Original :

My version :

Btw I'm not really satisfied with the golden frames, I may change them later. I thought they were part of the wallpaper but they seem misplaced here, so I guess they should have a different material.

Same with the windows, I posted a screen some times ago :

And thanks Melan
    Last edited by DrK; 9th Sep 2011 at 17:55.

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I'm pretty decent at making textures. If you're up for it, I could easily teach you and anyone else willing to listen about 10,001 different tricks to making them.
    Personally, I'd love to hear some tricks for making better textures. When I'm done working on my own map, and set about working on the EP graphics, It'd be cool if I could show you some work-in-progresses and you could give some tips or pointers.

Moderator and Priest
    Sure. I'll help you out. When you get around to it, send me a PM or start a thread, and I'll give you a few pointers.

Archivist
    DrK, that looks beautiful
    So I tried the water transparency option, turns out it modifies the visibility inside the water. But it's not the transparency of the water texture itself, the one we see from outside the water... whatever, I'll leave it that way.
    Didn't Morrgan altered the transparency of the water texture in Rodamill ? I'm not sure but near the start are some canals, which you might be interested to check out.

Brethren: It's great to read you're doing another FM . Hope you'll get it released.

I've continued working on my Soulforge project and I finished adding caves deep beneath the Soulforge cathedral. It's not a fancy screenshot, but to get a feeling of the dimension:

What is still missing so far:
    1. catacombs
    2. prison

I will provide some real screenshots once the final texturing of the caves is done...

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    Sure. I'll help you out. When you get around to it, send me a PM or start a thread, and I'll give you a few pointers.
    I would love to see a "Texture Making 101" thread, since I have no idea how its done but seems like a really rewarding and interesting way to get unique visuals in a mission.

Moderator and Priest
    One step ahead of you there. I've been helping Scarykitties out via PMs, and figured it'd probably be a good idea to go ahead and post the little tutorials I've made down here so everyone can see them and ask questions.

...or comment on how I'm dumb for doing everything the hard way, and show me better techniques for doing stuff. I ain't gonna shy away from no criticism, specially if it'll help make my life that much easier. :P

Today i tested how "fog" works on vista and got quite impressive results, then i turned it into blizzard by making some freezing wind ambient sounds and remade those footstep sounds on snow. I uploaded it on youtube but seems like youtube screwed it up and all you can actually see is pretty much white screen youtube

I made it to be like that in purpose because:
    Garrett is going to stray in that blizzard (and freeze to death?)

That's a good effect. Regarding the spoiler'd thing: You could make it possible for the player to avoid a well guarded route by going outside, at risk to their health. Guards could refuse to go outside (thanks to invisible path blocking objects) even when they are chasing you, thinking that you'll freeze to death.
    Last edited by R Soul; 13th Sep 2011 at 09:27.

I'm planning something similar. Sort of.

If the player falls into freezing water, Garrett gets the metaproperty M-ChillOut which plays a shuddering ambient so it's obvious that he's cold. Additionally, the metaprop has a receptron to ColdStim that damages Garrett for a certain amount depending on the value. Then, certain ambientsound markers that have obvious, loud wind effects will have a radius, gradient value of ColdStim so if Garrett goes out into the strong wind while wet, he will start taking small damage. However, all fires will have a radius of WarmStim which will remove M-ChillOut from Garrett.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    That's a good effect. Regarding the spoiler'd thing: You could make it possible for the player to avoid a well guarded route by going outside, at risk to their health. Guards could refuse to go outside (thanks to invisible path blocking objects) even when they are chasing you, thinking that you'll freeze to death.
    This is how it goes so far: Garrett goes into that catacomb in late autumn (that catacomb which has few photos in here) and when he finaly gets out from there, winter has come. This happens in middle of nowhere and is unexplored area, so there's no-one around (?)

Because it's not really the same, my textures are much darker. I make them to fit the dirty atmosphere of my fm, not to be exactly like the original.
    Right. Those dirtied up textures would probably look great in Ramirez's mansion, but... they really are too different for the EP. Oh well.

That blizzard effect is great! I thought about doing something similar once, but never actually tried getting it working. Looks like yours succeeded.

I finished texturing the caverns deep below Soulforge and started building the catacombs which are directly situated underneath the cathedral and contain several crypts.

Here is a first impression of the caverns:

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I've fixed some roombrushing issues which have probably existed in the Highwater Estate mission for 8 years but only became apparent recently with the addition of AI. Tonight I'm going to start placing loot, I have purses on belts already.

Quote Originally Posted by gigagooga View Post
    Today i tested how "fog" works on vista and got quite impressive results, then i turned it into blizzard by making some freezing wind ambient sounds and remade those footstep sounds on snow. I uploaded it on youtube but seems like youtube screwed it up and all you can actually see is pretty much white screen youtube

I made it to be like that in purpose because:
    Garrett is going to stray in that blizzard (and freeze to death?)
    That's really cool! Do all Vista users have this problem? My next FM relies heavily on fog! It's just not the same without it!

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs View Post
    That's really cool! Do all Vista users have this problem? My next FM relies heavily on fog! It's just not the same without it!
    a new fm by sluggs???, that would be great!!!

I heard that affects on every vista, but i'm not 100% sure of it myself.
    So i play it safe and make it this way, so everyone will have it

That's weird! And that affects both NVidia and Radeon cards?

@ nightshifter, anything's possible, I guess! Just don't go expecting a normal mission!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The fog issue was fixed by DDFix a couple of years ago. Most players should have fog these days. And I'm amazed but happy that you might have another FM in you, Sluggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    The fog issue was fixed by DDFix a couple of years ago. Most players should have fog these days.
    I tried it.. and now i can't see anything in game mode. I can only hear all the sounds and now Dromed seems to change my windows theme always when i exit game mode. So i guess that download brought enough trouble to me for today... guess i just have to reinstall everything :/

Southquarter.com/fms
    My next FM...
    I'll believe it when I'm playing it.

My next FM . . .
    I read it and didn't believe it! But I can live in hope, right?

Today I played my new mission from the beginning to the end for the very first time.

Did you guys know that bounds triggers don't work if Garrett is dead?

Page 157 of 311 FirstFirst ... 57107112117122127132137142147152153154155156157158159160161162167172177182187192197202207257 ... LastLast