TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

I just spent most of my free time over the past two days working on a new wall clock for Gervais' office.

Shame the blasted thing doesn't work (when even looking at it doesn't break the engine hilariously, it doesn't render properly). Fixing it would essentially require a scratch rebuild in a different form, so I'm probably just going to make a mantle clock instead - should be much faster to build, and won't have the same problems. Ho hum.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    I just spent most of my free time over the past two days working on a new wall clock for Gervais' office.

Shame the blasted thing doesn't work (when even looking at it doesn't break the engine hilariously, it doesn't render properly). Fixing it would essentially require a scratch rebuild in a different form, so I'm probably just going to make a mantle clock instead - should be much faster to build, and won't have the same problems. Ho hum.
    Great news about making a clock. Love your light objects Watcher !

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I must confess to having been hopelessly addicted to Mardek RPG the last couple of weeks. I am fairly far along in Chapter 3 (the last one that's been released), so expect to get back to Dromed soon. Really nice old school style RPG.

I'm trying to figure out how to use Procmon to capture all of my mission's file I/O without crashing Windows. I think I've found the switch that allows me to write the log to disk instead of to memory. Writing to memory is not a good idea with this tool, just too much data!

Well, this should be Xavier's office pretty much ready for loot, plot elements, and AI. I decided that putting the horrible 'trcandle' gold candle in there looked hideous, so I've also made a new version of that (identical size, but better quality and with vhots)...

I wish my office would be that cosy. Looks really good!

Right now I'm roombrushing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I know what you mean !

Polishing BBs prior to Beta.

Dromed view of Darkstone Gem part 3 in progress

Wow Max, how do you build so fast ?

Classical Master 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
    I don't see why that is a problem for people. I built Disorientation in 11 months, and roombrushed it in all of one day. And that included fixing a few bugged roombrushes.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsLair View Post
    Wow Max, how do you build so fast ?
    I try not to lose the "dromed essence" but seriously, even me can't believe it, or perhaps time runs faster than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Melan View Post
    I don't see why that is a problem for people. I built Disorientation in 11 months, and roombrushed it in all of one day.
    Sure, I've probably spent hundreds of hours working on my mission too, and roombrushing should only take a ridiculously tiny amount of that time, but I still find it the most boring part of mission building. I build stuff with Dromed because it's fun, but roombrushing feels like work sometimes, that's all.

And roombrushing isn't all that bad when you can just get away with shift+insert most of the time, but it can be a nightmare when you're building something on many levels and there's not much space between the floors and rooms. Fortunately I'm almost done with the roombrushing already, so I can move onto more enjoyable things again soon enough.

Speaking of roombrushing, what was that command that enabled the helping (blue?) lines in the game mode that showed which room brushes are connected with each other? Or am I just imagining that such command exists...?

Are there any other useful commands/tips that help with tracking down broken room brushes, or with finding room brushes that shouldn't be connecting with each other? I can't even figure out what the "Show Bad Rooms", "Check Rooms" or "Hilight --> Bad Rooms" commands in Komag's custom menus do...

NewDark 64 Contest Winner
    Under extras, Show Player Room will show those blue lines in game-mode. You can also see them in edit mode, by selecting any room brush and clicking 'show all'.

Show Bad Rooms will turn any non-sound area pink. I think that's one of the most useful aides for room brushing personally, you can see where a room brush is going through a wall or intersecting where it shouldn't.

Check Room seems like it could be useful, but I've never noticed any effect with it on. Nor have I ever got Highlight-Bad Rooms to actually highlight anything.

Woah, thanks for that, Xorak! I thought that I had been very careful with room brushing, but toggling "show bad rooms" on revealed the horrible truth. Luckily there was nothing too bad though and I was able to fix the gaps pretty quickly.

"Show player room" isn't exactly what I was hoping for though - the view gets awfully messy with all the lines and boxes! Is it possible to only display the blue lines? And what are the red lines supposed to be?

A red line is a blue line that goes through solid at some point. It's not necessarily an error. Imagine a large hall with pillars and doorways along its length. In some places a line will go through a pillar. You should check every red line to make sure the RBs are meant to intersect.

Like Melan, I also have no problems with roombrushing. I feel that it brings the mission to life. My cave system in Dangerous Conditions was the exception. Lots of dodecahedrons in such a confined space

Octagonal rooms are my bane, with roombrushing. I am so looking forward to roombrushing parts of Xavier's

I always room brush each room immediately after I build it. This way I won't have to do the unpleasant task all in one go.

For me, fitting room brushes around stairs so that they did not violate other room brushes was the chore. That and turning the blessed things into automap rooms. Did you know there's a limit on the number of rooms you can have on a single map page? Me neither until they stopped working. That explains why the LGS maps were so rudimentary.

In my current mission, I cloned over 400 rb's, and it was bad enough. Once I checked each one by tabbing thru them to check each one for corruption, I only found a few dozen corrupted brushes. Later on I had to re-create all of the room brushes I had cloned, so I got a double whammy of room brush blues for a few days. I was almost ready to scrap it at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Octagonal rooms are my bane, with roombrushing. I am so looking forward to roombrushing parts of Xavier's
    This is how I do it if the wall is thin enough for leaking to be a problem:

That said, in that image I think the wall is thick enough for a single roombrush.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    To avoid boredom when going round placing loot, I'm going to write and place texts at the same time. Which meant that Rob and I have to decide what month DCE takes place in, so that journals etc. are consistent with dates. I picked January.

Here's what I spent the last 2,5 hours with:

Less than 400 polys in gamemode

Page 159 of 292 FirstFirst ... 59109114119124129134139144149154155156157158159160161162163164169174179184189194199204209259 ... LastLast