TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Been about a month since I worked on my first level. Due to sudden inspiration or some other factor I've been back in DromEd continuing to build on my level. The layout was all done, the next part was setting up objects and decorating the inside.

I have just now furnished two rooms that are connected via a fire place, and keeping with the bizarre, "The Sword" style I'm going for with the levels, the two rooms are designed to be mirrors of each other, with some slight aesthetic differences. Most of that work was making sure the furniture was placed exactly where it should be, and in the same positions. I've also set up a series of six small rooms with a pedestal in the middle of each that's gonna hold a piece of loot. One of the six rooms anyway. The other five items will be junk, but all the items will look the same.

Lastly, I gave the pillars of water I made (the last thing I worked on a month ago) a practical use. Besides the stairways at the four corners of the mansion, there's a balcony overlooking the garden that has these pillars, and with it you can get to either floor without the stairs. Thought it'd be good to have them be for something other than just for show.

Feels good working on this thing again.

NewDark 64³ Contest Winner
    Here's a link to the texture pack.
    There might be disappiontment that there are no doors or windows, or any real borders or ornaments to make highly detailed exteriors but I didn't have time to add them yet. These are mostly base textures to manipulate however you want. I tried removing the crappier ones.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Hehe, like Yandros I also played through Between These Dark Walls (and even successfully perfect thief'd it) today, so I'm going to begin beta-testing as well.
    Your screenshots look superb as always shacky! Great work!
    Is this a stand-alone mission or a sequel to Shadow Politics?

Xorak, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit Deity View Post
    And @Daraan: Nice work! Looks seaworthy. When will you make it available to the public? If I ever get finished, I will want one for my current FM as well.
    I needed one and all I found was

Because my signature is so tiny i make it a big bigger here:

Coming soon: Daraan's Arcanum- a high quality collection
    -Including the enhanced version of the tree pack
    -(when I find it everything I posted in this thread

That were the good news
    now the (maybe) bad news not everything will be accessible for the public
    I know you are now like that -> or that but you will see.
    There are about 3-5 more models I want to finish then further information is coming.
    Last edited by Daraan; 9th Nov 2012 at 09:14.
    Coming Soon: Daraan's Arcanum - A collection of high quality objects and textures

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    Your screenshots look superb as always shacky! Great work!
    Is this a stand-alone mission or a sequel to Shadow Politics?
    It is a stand-alone mission, it takes place before the events of TDP and deals with the criminal underworld, mainly.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorak View Post
    Here's a link to the texture pack.
    There might be disappiontment that there are no doors or windows, or any real borders or ornaments to make highly detailed exteriors but I didn't have time to add them yet. These are mostly base textures to manipulate however you want. I tried removing the crappier ones.
    Thanks, Xorax!
    Mirror: cl_textures.zip

By the way, I'm doing cross-topic here, but I'm a still looking for a couple of beta-testers to help me polish the thing before release so if you're interested please let me know. Beta-testing is done over at shalebridgecradle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump042.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	1514
    Emitters gotta emit!! (click to enlarge)

What if the masks would "spit" magic projectiles? You could add a small animated light to each mask that is turned on if the player gets near to the mask which would also trigger the emitter. This would create the immersion that the masks are actually alive.

Quote Originally Posted by intruder View Post
    What if the masks would "spit" magic projectiles? You could add a small animated light to each mask that is turned on if the player gets near to the mask which would also trigger the emitter. This would create the immersion that the masks are actually alive.
    LOL, I started with that, actually, and didn't like it. I had a vhot behind the mask so that if you used the mask as a light, the eyes glowed. But it was way too resource heavy and so I decided to not go there.

Quote Originally Posted by skacky View Post
    Have some pictures.
    That's a nice city you have there. It has a nice Thief 1 feel to it.

The effect is even stronger, when playing through it. I was amazed by how large and complex the city is, and yet it's kept in a relatively small area (about the size of Bad Debts, or smaller).

I hope Skacky will get it out soon. It's his best work, yet!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Drymian Codex went to beta test today! \O/

Distant Art and New Sky settings.

This is my full panorama (click to enlarge). [black background added where the alpha channel transparency is to make it more apparent what's going on.]

Name:	KA3_360.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	194.4 KB 
ID:	1518

Making a tiling panorama without shadows to give the lie to the direction of the sun is a real pain. There just aren't that many good photos that I could find to work with. But in the end I think I got something that will do for me, reasonably sharp up in the foreground with less distinct features as you get further away.

And this is what it looks like in game with sunset colored sky settings, a sun celestial object, glow, and clouds. Amazing what the sky parameters do to improve the distant art, isn't it? And I should be able to justify some deep shadows for Garrett as he skulks about.

Name:	dump023.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	950.1 KB 
ID:	1517

I did learn that if you use just one distant art texture, it is duplicated and used only for 180 degrees no matter how wide it is. But if you put in two textures each will cover 180 so you can have a full 360 degrees with no repeats. So I just split mine in two.

Nice panorama! I don't know why, but your in-game screenshot reminds me of some alien world...
    Last edited by intruder; 19th Nov 2012 at 17:54.

At the moment I'm working on a pretty big house object, because I don't want to loose detail I decided to split it in many small objects, which all can be used on their on as well.

In the last few days I played around a lot with transparency/alpha and stuff and found a nice way to 'break' objects.

See these two screenshots:

I decided to make separate windows. Problem is I want the windows inside of the object. But if I do that it looks like that:

Now here comes my trick
    Step 1)I created a plane inside of the window with a transparent texture
    If your lucky it already looks like that:

But when the object has a Render -> Transparency Alpha value it still looks like in the first image so
    Step 2) Give the window the Renderer -> RenderOrder PostOpaque 1 and the object to 'break' a Renderer -> RenderOrder PostOpaque 2

now it also looks like in screenshot 2

I would like to release that window, but I need until I haven't found a transparent texture which behaves like I want I don't want to do that.
    No idea what I'm talking about look here
    Atm I'm also using this crown1.tga for transparency..
    Coming Soon: Daraan's Arcanum - A collection of high quality objects and textures

So its done I have a working transparency texture.

----------------------
    Replaceable-'Breaker'-Windows for Version 1.19

You can download the square and the round window from the link below - both have a replacement texture and can be placed inside objects and they render through them. (see post above).
    -Self Illumination is also added. So for 'turned off' textures you can set it to 0.

To achieve that there are two options

1)Create them under an archetype with NO Renderer -> Transparency Alpha property
    OR
    2)Works in all chases

Window: Add property
    Renderer -> Render Order: Post Opaque 1 (first)

Object(You want to look through) Add property
    Renderer -> Render Order: Post Opaque 2 (first)

--
    I didn't make the included window texture. (Actually I forgot where I downloaded it^^)
    Here are a few more made by RSoul
    http://catmanofiowa.com/RSoul/textures.html

Download

@clearing feel free to host again
    Last edited by Daraan; 22nd Nov 2012 at 11:43.

Excellent stuff Daraan. Thanks.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    Download

@clearing feel free to host again
    Mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by Daraan View Post
    Replaceable-'Breaker'-Windows for Version 1.19
    My turkey BBQ Ribs addled mind doesn't quite understand, Daraan. How does this window thing work?

Any video demonstration?

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    My turkey BBQ Ribs addled mind doesn't quite understand, Daraan. How does this window thing work?

Any video demonstration?
    Sorry I'm not so a video guy.
    Read the readme?

Im not sure what you want to know.(Maybe Im just to tired to understand^^)
    a)How does it work? Or: What can I do with this object?
    b)What I have to do in DromEd that it looks like in the screenshots above.
    c)Why does this work? (theory)

a)
    hm how to explain lets say this is the wall of an object A

|
    |
    |
    |

If you place a normal object B inside of A it will look like this

--|--
    | | |
    | | |
    --|--

The green part in front of A is shown and grey is inside of A and is not shown.(B blocks vision)

--
    This window type 'breaks' that red line and you can see through object A. (no block)
    __|
    --X--
    | X |
    | X |

--X--
    __|
    Maybe my images a few posts above help a bit to understand

b)

1)Create your window(archetype)
    Add the property: Renderer -> RenderOrder PostOpaque 1(first)

2)Create your Base Object A and
    Add Renderer -> RenderOrder PostOpaque 2

3)Move the window a bit inside of the wall of your base object. Try around a bit.

c)
    I'm to tired at the moment to fully explain it, to put it simply
    Normaly the game render transparency objects according to their distance, the furthest away is rendered first so the others 'know' that there is an objects.
    With Render Order your Window is rendered after every other object but before object A and thats the clue. Your Window doesn't 'know' that there is an object behind that has to be rendered.

Hope one of that answered your question.
    This trick ONLY works FOR OBJECTS - NOT BRUSHES

If anyone wants a version you can put on brushes (a version with no transparency on the side) I can do that easily - but not before Monday.

The Beginning

Still so long...

Archivist
    Stunning work, Soul Tear Excellent texturing.

What is causing the bright lightbeams to shine from the house outwards?

Quote Originally Posted by The Phantom View Post
    What is causing the bright lightbeams to shine from the house outwards?
    Garrett must find out why.

Page 183 of 297 FirstFirst ... 83133138143148153158163168173178179180181182183184185186187188193198203208213218223228233283 ... LastLast