TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

I got one weird idea when making arrowrain simulator and though "why the taff not"
    result:

L'architecte de Rocksbourg

Very nice smoke effect.

Oh yeah!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Pardon my French, but that FUCKING ROCKS! Only thing is the lock sound when you load the shell, but that can be changed.

Yep, that's awesome gigagooga!

Very nice work, ExitApparatus!

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Pardon my French, but that FUCKING ROCKS! Only thing is the lock sound when you load the shell, but that can be changed.
    yep, i just don't have any suitable sounds for it yet

Looking for some leafy ground textures... Can I use terrain textures with transparency, so I could just layer the leaves on top?

You should be able to use decals. There is a new property Render > Order in NerwDark which should allow you to fix any issues to crop up as to what to render on top of what.
    New Prop: Renderer->"Render Order"
    ----------------------------------

The default render order of objects is:

1. Render opaque (that don't have Renderer->"Transparency (alpha)") objects, the order in which they are
    rendered is undetermined.
    2. Render transparent objects sorted by viewing distance.

With the "Render Order" property there are a few more steps available for opaque objects, that allows some control
    over which objects are rendered before or after others, which can be used to solve render order problems in
    certain cases. For example if there are transparent decal objects, which are only placed on terrain surfaces, one
    could configure those to be rendered prior to any other objects, thus avoiding alpha sorting problems if such are
    present.

The extended render order is:

1. Pre Opaque 1
    2. Pre Opaque 2
    3. Pre Opaque 3
    4. Pre Opaque 4
    5. Render standard opaque objects (which don't have any "Render Order" set)
    6. Post Opaque 1
    7. Post Opaque 2
    8. Post Opaque 3
    9. Post Opaque 4
    10. Render transparent objects

The property also has the option to render the object without updating the z-buffer, which could help avoid
    z-fighting or a decal sticking through other objects, if the object is known to be (or should appear) flat against
    a terrain surface.

There is also a new link type DetailAttachement for resolving similar issues with decals on objects.
    New Link: "DetailAttachement"
    -----------------------------

This link type can be used to attach non-physical objects, aka detail objects, to other objects. It more or less
    works just like "ParticleAttachement" links but also allows specifying an offset transform and attaching to
    sub-objects (like for example a door handle). Just like particle attachments, archetypes may contain detail
    attachments. When creating a concrete from such an archetype, the attached objects will automatically be created
    and linked to, and when the object is deleted the attached objects are deleted along with it.

The command "dattach_link" can be used to create or update a DetailAttachement link between two (concrete) objects.
    The relative pos/rot of the created/updated link is automatically calculated so that the current world location of
    the detail object remains unchanged. That allows visually placing and aligning a detail object where you want it,
    and then creating the link with the correct vals.

There's a special type "Transparent Decal" that attaches to an object like the "Object" type, but it's a special
    purpose link type that can be used to attach transparent decal objects to a transparent object. For example if you
    have a blood decal that uses full alpha that you want to place onto a window object, it will most likely cause
    alpha sorting problems (it will be on top of the window from certain view positions and below from others). This
    can be solved by detail attaching the decal to the window with the "Transparent Decal" type. In order for this
    link type to work the decal object must have "Has Refs" set to FALSE/unchecked. Using the "dattach_link" command
    it will automatically add the "Has Refs" property with the correct value.

The "Transparent Decal" link type makes use of two additional parameters "decal plane norm" and "decal plane dist",
    which define the plane (in object space) onto which the decal is placed. For example for the top surface of a
    cube shaped object with dimension 2, the normal would be [0 0 1] and the plane dist 1, the bottom surface would
    be [0 0 -1] and dist 1. When the transparent object is rendered it can then determine if it's behind or in front
    of that plane to know if the decal should be rendered in front of behind. For box/OBB shaped objects like windows
    and doors, you can usually avoid dealing with the plane parameters if you use the "dattach_link" command, it will
    try to automatically determine the plane.

But with leaves you may want just to make a leafy ground texture as your base, and have fewer decals created, which act like blood spots and fade away over time ... keep your object count down.
    Last edited by LarryG; 17th May 2013 at 09:13.

Thanks, LarryG... I think I'll spend some time on a good base texture then. Seems like the best option. Perhaps break it up here and there with with some retextured vine objects etc.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    If you want small piles/areas of leaves (like under trees), decals will work. If you want broader coverage, then you could either add a leaves layer on top of your ground texture and make a new terrain texture to use, or use a layer of non-moving conveyors, where a single tileable texture can be repeated over a resizable decal-like object on the ground.

Here's something to help you get started, a leafy ground texture which tiles, 1024 x 1024 so you can degrade it or not as you see fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LfyGrnd01.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	1672

... or use a layer of non-moving conveyors, where a single tileable texture can be repeated over a resizable decal-like object on the ground.
    What??? A tutorial please!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    It's just like the ground fog in Hazelshade, only you have them set not to animate. I used it for the big cobwebs in Drymian Codex, as one example. It works best for textures where it's hard to see the repeat and/or it's OK to have it end in the middle of the texture, like the wispy cobweb texture in DryCo; otherwise, you are limited to powers of 2 on the 'veyor size, depending on the size of your texture. So, not sure how useful it will be for leaves. But I'll be happy to write a quick tut on it if you like.

Please. I can see some potential uses ...

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    The problem about using partly transparent objects (well even not transparent) on the ground for me, is that they don't 'receive' shadows. I.e. I have a carpet which fully lightened even if part of the floor is in shadow. It looks horrible.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Ah yes, true, and I don't know whether or not conveyors will suffer the same issue or not.

From 1.19 onwards, conveyors are lit like objects, which is better than nothing if you need conveyor belts, but for leaves on the ground I suggest either a terrain texture or lots of smaller objects.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Here's something to help you get started, a leafy ground texture which tiles, 1024 x 1024 so you can degrade it or not as you see fit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LfyGrnd01.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	1672
    Apparently I have insufficient previleges to access that image.
    Thanks everyone for their tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltzer View Post
    I guess you meant my screens. If so, you are right.
    I made them bigger. What do you think? its not too overkill?
    So better. But you can watch on the real mansions.

Square windows is usually characteristic of the simple modern houses.

A couple of recent screens from Prophet.

Soul Tear: I wish i could remember to have a inspiration picture
    when i start a new project. That was a nice mansion, maybe for
    the next one

Rob and I have turned our attention back to our larger projects (DCE and MM3). It would be great to get the first 2 missions into test by the end of the year, but right now we're analyzing the plan and reworking a few things to make the story tighter, something which hasn't been done much in a few years. It's going to lead to some voice work being redone, but we think it's for the best.
    Are you still working together with Tannar or was it just for the Drymian Codex?
    Anyway, I'm looking forward to whatever you guys come up with!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    That was just for DryCo and also Cell6, although since DCE is a 9-10 mission campaign we will probably call on him to help with all the texts, if he's willing to dive into such a project.

I am currently working on 6 different missions
    3 of them are for my upcoming campaign called suspicious cargo which is for Thief 2(I have this campaign about 30% done)
    1 of them is Secret of the keepers which I have to get working on again
    1 of them is Nightfall Part 1
    and the last one is a new one I just started on last night it's called Rise of the Trickster and it's going to be a Thief Gold Mission that is very architectural I will be working on these for a month or two But school is getting to that point where you have a lot of tests So I will have to take some time away from my freetime to study, so that means I might have a few late releases But oh well I need to pass so I can have the summer to work on these missions

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Guy101 View Post
    I am currently working on 6 different missions .... I will be working on these for a month or two
    That's not gonna work :P

Page 201 of 297 FirstFirst ... 101151156161166171176181186191196197198199200201202203204205206211216221226231236241246251 ... LastLast