TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Is an art deco style too avant guarde for Thief? Take a look at Thief 2 again.
    Last edited by LarryG; 13th Oct 2017 at 09:08.

for your opera house?? giselle is a ballet....
    no singing there. but the poster fits it. spooky enough that giselle , esp. the second act

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Is an art nouveau style too modern for Thief? Take a look at Thief 2 again.
    It is, and I think you mistaken it with art-deco which is also borderline modern for Thief IMHO

You advertising is too modern, it looks like it was made with photoshop by a pro designer for an ads company. Also I don't think the printing machines in the Thief world can produce posters with all these colors and etc.

But hey dude it's your FM, not mine! However if you want I can make you some quick advertising for your opera house

Here's are some example on how I do advertising in my FMs:

Quote Originally Posted by nightshifter View Post
    for your opera house?? giselle is a ballet....
    no singing there. but the poster fits it. spooky enough that giselle , esp. the second act
    Ballet is often performed in "opera" houses, at least on this side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Squadarofl View Post
    It is, and I think you mistaken it with art-deco which is also borderline modern for Thief IMHO

You advertising is too modern, it looks like it was made with photoshop by a pro designer for an ads company. Also I don't think the printing machines in the Thief world can produce posters with all these colors and etc.

But hey dude it's your FM, not mine! However if you want I can make you some quick advertising for your opera house
    You are right, I did mean art deco. Though there are elements of both in Thief 2, the designs tend to be more deco than in the more flowery nouveau style. As is the poster. That said, you are also right, it is my mission. I maintain that any world where robots can be mass manufactured can surely have mastered lithography. In our world, it has been around since the 1790's. And screen printing has been in use in China and Japan since the turn of the 1st millennium CE. I'm just saying that where magic and technology meet in a steam punk world, don't be surprised at what you may find. The Thief World is not just T1.

Quote Originally Posted by Squadarofl View Post
    Here's are some example on how I do advertising in my FMs:
    Wow Mario, that looks really impressive!

I was looking at some photoshop techniques on how to make it look painted/illustrated/etched. Inspired by some photoshop subreddits. I can take a whack at making a graphic for you LarryG, if you PM me those dancey skells in high rez. I was going for same thing but on parchment that was dyed and imperfect with etchy/paint style.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I maintain that any world where robots can be mass manufactured can surely have mastered lithography. In our world, it has been around since the 1790's. And screen printing has been in use in China and Japan since the turn of the 1st millennium CE. I'm just saying that where magic and technology meet in a steam punk world, don't be surprised at what you may find. The Thief World is not just T1.
    The technology might be feasible, but the actual style/design of the poster is very modern-looking, the text layout etc. It looks good, just doesn't feel like it fits in the world of Thief (1 or 2).

If it were me, I'd try to emulate this sort of style: 1800s Opera posters - more gaudy and painterly.

I'm betting you won't like my other poster either. Oh well. I like them & think that in the context of my mission that they do work well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GISELLE2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	2409

That one I think is a lot better! Looks more painterly with more natural colours. It's hard to define - I think the first one has an air of "marketing department" about it, if that makes sense?

Art nouveau posters:

Art deco posters:

Art deco is very modern, but the Mechanist style is heavily based on art deco aesthetics. Personally, I find art nouveau to be very fitting to Victorian themed T2 FMs.

The thing with both art nouveau and art deco posters is that they're painted and have a very hand-made look to them.

The second poster is much better than the first as it looks painted by hand, the first one looks way too digital.

They were made using the three stone lithographic process JF, but I know you are referring to the over all design having a painterly quality.
    I love your posters btw, Larry!

With the first one I think it's the writing - it looks like a CD cover. I think it would be improved with thicker letters, perhaps with a solid border (not a drop shadow), and with the 'small' print done in a larger size.

Name:	GISELLE3.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	2413
    Last edited by LarryG; 13th Oct 2017 at 17:20.

That looks very good

Name:	GISELLE4.jpg 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	2417
    Last edited by LarryG; 14th Oct 2017 at 02:14.

Looks great and my offer still stands. In fact I have so much parchment stock, if anyone wants paper ads decals lmk.

Making some fancy chandeliers.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Nice! That's like fancy with a pinky finger raised.

Yikes!
    I may actually be too scruffy to play that FM! Very posh indeed.
    Nice work, nicked.

Spot on, Chris.

Really nice, Nicked!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I assume you'll be setting ILLUM on all the glass so they glow when it's lit? Are you going to have vhots on each of them?

DromEd Archmage
    Nice picture !
    But it sounds your chandelier has some lite effects missing as Russ noticed.

Are you the author of the object ?

Because it sounds your chandeliers are unlit but have no Self-Illumination property in Dromed (or even ILLUM property applied in the model...)

So if adding Renderer>Self-Illumination : 1.00 in Dromed do not fix that, you'll have to edit your model, make sure the bowl-shaped glass got a common material and use MESHUP (or convert in .e file) to add the ILLUM property on your model then activate the Self-Illumination property in Thief.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Keep in mind he said he was "making" some chandeliers, which indicates he ain't done yet.

It is illuminated, but the gold parts are only 50% and the crystal cup parts are transparent so look duller against the green background.

Putting some glowing bulbs in is a good shout - I'm gonna have to squidge a few bits up as it's got a silly amount of polys for one object at the moment.

A few more tweaks - increased the ILLUM brightness, reduced the transparency of the crystal, and made the alpha 1-bit to stop some z-sorting issues:

Pretty happy with it now. I don't have enough polys for proper bulbs to be visible, but with the tweaks and the fact that it'll only ever be viewed from beneath, I think that's fine. The 1-bit alpha is a little annoyingly crispy, but again it'll mostly be viewed from far below where it won't be as obvious.

Page 310 of 317 FirstFirst ... 60210260265270275280285290295300305306307308309310311312313314315 ... LastLast