TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 299 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106256 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Maybe I should figure out how to make all the missions I'm working on into a campaign so I get them all done at the same time?

No.

I'm beginning to consider splitting my FM into two separate missions due to brush limits. I'm already reaching 1000 terrain brushes and I'm only about 1/2 complete, if that.
    <xhtml><eat id="mouth">potato</eat></xhtml>

That's not too bad Ataricom, you've got 6000 object ID's to go. I'm at 4000 terrain 1250 object (plus all the other crap: room brushes etc.). . . it's getting tight.

The thing I hate is, when I add something new it gives it an ID over 7000 so I have to remember to compress_br_ids before optimizing.

3968 Terrain
    2003 Object
    0 Light
    904 Room
    8 Flow
    1 Area

Total: 6884. There seems to be a maximum of 6902 (that's when my FM won't optimise). So I have 18 brushes left (not long ago it was 4) before I can't optimise.

And I've already been obsessively merging objects where possible. E.g. there are only 2 objects in this image:
    http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/1...ycratesvd1.jpg

Also I recently merged a metal shelf unit with some multimolds:
    http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/8...shelvestx4.jpg

Elsewhere I have 3 apples that are also just one model, and when picked up the player sees the single model, with a stack count of 3.

Of course it's only a problem if I won't be optimising again. I think I have a couple more to do before I can call it a day on the building phase and get on with bringing it to life.
    Last edited by R Soul; 9th Jan 2008 at 18:17.

Getting this @#$(# switches to work right. Playing with the frobability of switches is not easy.

The Architect
    I'm sitting at 6927, and a few weeks ago I had been many dozens beyond that. Maybe some types of brushes don't actually count towords the total? I have about 20 area brushes...

You should talk with NV about the trick he figured out to get around the brush count. It works!

There does seem to be some play in that 7000 limit, though I really don't know how to make it happen. I seem to recall checking out TIC in dromed and realizing it was over the limit.

If NV knows a method I'd love to hear it! In the meantime I am comforted to know several of you are nearing that number and not experienceing any issues.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    I had 7517 brushes in Night Two, and I know there are more than 9000 in an FM by Asylum. (I can't remember the name)

At a certain point near 7000 brushes (object included) Dromed doesn't allow you to optimize anymore, but you can still add objects, AIs, you can still relight and roombrush.
    The trick is to add terrain brushes until you can, only add the necessary, important objects and leave out the rest. You can add the decorative objects later.

I had no idea! I suppose one could hilight and multibrush all their objects save them off and re-add them later after the terrain is finished.

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    I think that you can do what you said. I didn't think of doing it, and I had to delete more than 100 objects in order to finish the terrain brush work.

It's a pain anyway, because whatever happens you can't add or delete a single little brush. I had the FM betatested, just to be sure, before adding the rest of the objects.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    AsyluM's mission was Heist Society, and it wasn't much fun to work with. Took about a minute to load, enter or exit game mode on my old PC. We couldn't portalize or optimize in the state we got it, and had to complete the mission only adding objects. I did relight the mission once after converting the fireplace flames to use bitmaps, and adjusting the lighting in one room (the kitchen?), which took about an hour as I recall. Ah, good times, good times. It was a really fun team effort though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    . . . Gaetane! You once posted a link to your website that had some incredible screenshots - are those still valid?
    Here's the link to the website. I've been waiting for this for a long time. The screenshots are wonderful.

Maybe I should show, what I'm currently do:

It's the next sequel to "Ultima Ratio" (if anybody knows this mission :P)

Nice shoot MH.TheFreak, of course I know Ultima Ratio

My second project on which I arguing is called Dracula Lugosi. It's a total black and white conversion of the original campaign. Anno somebody posted the idea on the forum, that would be good to convert The Love Thief to b&w. Now I try to do this, but at the same time I'll rebuild this mission. The story and the procedure will be the original, but I'll aply all of my actual knowledge on it . Next then, if works well, I'll continue with the full campaign. This promises to be an interesting entertainment.

The Architect
    It's staggeringly simple really! I know it well enough to be able to do it, but not really explain how to do it. If NV doesn't get to it first (gotta get to class now) I can post screenshots.

Basically you use S&Rs to place objects in the mission when the mission loads. Thus, they do not exist when you optimize, thus no brush count worries. The only thing that still matters it the object limit, which exists separate from the brush limit. However, that limit can be expanded!

It works with any object that can exist verbatim from the gamesys, does not need to cast a shadow, or block vision, and means nothing to pathfinding. I.e. furniture should not be place like this, but loot is perfect for it. Any object that needs links cannot be placed like this. However, any bits of flourish and added detail like props on tables or potted plants can be placed in this way. The only drawback is that if you have one object and want to do five variations of it (example - one wine bottle with five different labels) then you'd have to make a separate entry into the gamesys for each. But I think that's a small price to pay!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Obviously I'm missing something here... doesn't the object you stim to create the object also count as an object, thus negating the savings?

You could have lots of receptrons on one object, each of them creating their own object. The action does come with position and orientation controls, so lots can be used.

Sliptip : I'm glad to hear you're still working on that one Gaetane! You once posted a link to your website that had some incredible screenshots - are those still valid? If so could you post a link?
    Yes, this link is always valid, but I did not make update since on this screenshots.

Nevertheless, I put you the link. Few things changed : Textures, objects, but not the main part.
    http://gat02.free.fr/

It is not of gigantic missions as these jewels of fms that offered to us L. Rowena these last days, but I hope that the players will spend a good hours there

Yandros, don't forget that I want you for to test these missions
    Last edited by gaetane; 10th Jan 2008 at 13:19.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    The action does come with position and orientation controls
    Aha, I forgot about that. An interesting workaround to be sure - but I wouldn't recommend doing it as a matter of practice until you know you're going to be pushing the limits.

@Gaetane: When it comes to FM's, size does not directly correlate to quality. I'm sure your missions will be gems themselves.

I'd have to agree with Yandros on that one. It sounds like an ingenious way of beating the limit, but I just don't think my puny brain could handle that approach.

I think Digi explained it pretty well.
    You use a single object with a multitude of Create Object receptrons to create items that don't have any effect on mission processing (e.g. loot, apples, banners, etc.), so that those object IDs don't exist until sim time.
    You can simply create them at None (0) and use the offset to enter specific coordinates.

I just shudder to think what will happen if Digi has to find a specific piece of loot in Mission: X, as I can only imagine the number of receptrons on that object by now...

Today's to-do list:
    Look for things to take pictures of tomorrow! I'm running out of decent, appropriate stock textures faster than brushes!

Oh, @sluggs, I'm finally going to be able to mess around with victrola stuff you helped me with!
    <xhtml><eat id="mouth">potato</eat></xhtml>

The Architect
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    I just shudder to think what will happen if Digi has to find a specific piece of loot in Mission: X, as I can only imagine the number of receptrons on that object by now...
    Less than 100.

I think...

Yeah, that's an issue.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I assume the dark stats are handled correctly when loot is created at runtime? I don't think I actually verified that when I was doing my random-loot-placement thingie for HSM.

They are.
    Try shooting a vase next time you play an FM.

Page 6 of 299 FirstFirst ... 234567891011162126313641465156106256 ... LastLast