TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

Fantastic!
    I had some railings made out of terrain brushes that I have been meaning to replace with objects, but I postponed it, because I thought it kind of didn't matter I was even going to turn the object posts back into terrain brushes, because I couldn't get the shadows right. I also had a ladder whose visual parts were made of terrain brushes.

I am still a little amazed that removing the railings and the ladder parts could decrease the polycount as much as it did. The polycount can even be said to be on a sane level now

That solved three problem spots in one go. I also had a fourth on the roof of a small building, so I had to move it a little to the side, which helped. I might move the function of that building underground to even further reduce the risk of reaching dangerous spots (unless that does the same to complexity as the terrain details that started all this).

I am happy now! Thanks for your comments, they helped.
    Last edited by qolelis; 23rd Jul 2009 at 12:14.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis View Post
    Oh well, I have, as I see it, three options:
    1) Delete the details. They made the cave system look much better, so I prefer not to.
    2) Make sure that the player cannot reach the complex spots. I have never been a big fan of artificial boundaries, but I may have to add them.
    3) I have these two areas that are kind of overlooking each other and I could isolate each area and then put up a simplified copy of the other. The player teleports between them, so I could get away with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    Well, can I propose Option 4?

If you can, replace terrain details with custom objects in locations where this is not going to cause collision problems or the like.
    What about:

5) Try re-building one of the areas from scratch. I find that when I do this, I'm always a bit more satisfied the second time around, and I can usually get away with more aesthetic scenery.

Besides, the cave screen you're showing us does not look too complex. I'm sure you can make it work by rebuilding some of the more sloppy area (assuming there are some).

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Agreed qolelis, I've come to the conclusion that ever making any railings out of solid brushes is just asking for trouble.
    I recently had to do the same thing here:

And I'm glad I did, since that looks loads better than anything I could do with terrain. Of course, it helps that Saturnine made the object for me...

Yandros, wherever that is, can I come and live there? It's gorgeous!

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010

Progress for July 2009

Dark is the Lair T2 fm Progress as of July 2009.
    Not very visible, as not to spoil as a map.

Last edited by darthsLair; 23rd Jul 2009 at 19:55. Reason: to change image

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Yandros, wherever that is, can I come and live there? It's gorgeous!
    Sure, be the envy of the neighborhood! It's got 7 bedrooms (separate his and hers master suites) and 7 bathrooms, and is situated on a lovely estate on the outskirts of Auldale. Featuring a gazebo and ballroom for all your entertaining needs... and it even comes with a family crypt! All for only $10M. (Guards and servant staff not included)

And never mind the bloodstain in the basement...

@darthsLair: Most impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by all View Post
    5) Try re-building one of the areas from scratch. I find that when I do this, I'm always a bit more satisfied the second time around, and I can usually get away with more aesthetic scenery.
    It's kind of too late for that. Even if it wasn't, I don't think I could build this monster a second time and it's kind of all or nothing; either I rebuild everything or I rebuild nothing. I can't show you what it looks like yet, but if you could see it, I think you would agree. Besides, the problem is solved... for now. Come to think of it, I have actually rebuilt it a couple of times already.

Quote Originally Posted by all
    Besides, the cave screen you're showing us does not look too complex. I'm sure you can make it work by rebuilding some of the more sloppy area (assuming there are some).
    That scene was just the last drop in an already full container. The scene that actually caused complexity errors was already on the verge and was just waiting for me to add something.

With that problem solved, I now have to make my first custom objects from scratch to replace the railings and the ladder, so right now I am struggling with anim8or and I swear, that thing has a mind of its own. Sometimes it just refuses to do what I ask it to and I have no idea why. Why can't it be more like DromEd!?
    Last edited by qolelis; 23rd Jul 2009 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    Ahhh.... so when 3ds2bin reported 384 polys that was before merging? Anyway... the lighting didn't behave as I was hoping even with zombeh's model, which definitely does not have a flat surface, so I'm just going to go with terrain textures.

Second frieze texture:

That may be it, unless I can find a good third texture somewhere.
    hey Yandros, where did you download those light shafts? I've been looking for them quite long. I have downloaded several ones but for some reason they won't work

it helps that Saturnine made the object for me...
    Lucky bastard

Quote Originally Posted by gigagooga View Post
    hey Yandros, where did you download those light shafts? I've been looking for them quite long. I have downloaded several ones but for some reason they won't work
    The Well-Equipped Thief.
    Yandros has re-coloured them, though.
    I miss Vigil and his skills.
    Last edited by Nameless Voice; 23rd Jul 2009 at 19:57. Reason: Added unhappy face

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I second that! I did recolour Vigil's blue shaft to pale yellow for when that colour is more appropriate. I believe that yellow texture is in DP2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    The Well-Equipped Thief.
    Yandros has re-coloured them, though.
    I miss Vigil and his skills.
    Go bug him in #thief irc.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    You have to be careful using gouraud on objects that large due to the buggy way Dark renders shading when one or more of the vertices is offscreen.
    (http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...18#post1774218)

Today I've been building a simple railings object and I've noticed exactly this. At first I thought I had done something wrong when building my object, so I rebuilt it a couple of times, until I realized that it was the shader that was causing it. Is there a fix for this or do I have to live with it (or use flat shading)?

You could try splitting up the faces into smaller ones, being sure to move some of the points in or out a little to make sure the faces are not perfectly flat (otherwise BSP might try to merge them back into one).

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    You could try splitting up the faces into smaller ones, being sure to move some of the points in or out a little to make sure the faces are not perfectly flat (otherwise BSP might try to merge them back into one).
    Yes, that made it less noticable, thanks for answering.

Edit:
    I just tested my railings object in my mission and I am going to use flat shading after all, because of the way the railings are placed it doesn't matter that much if they are shaded or not, and it sort of looked better too or at least more fitting to the overall atmosphere. Thanks for the tip, though, I've learned yet something new today.
    Last edited by qolelis; 24th Jul 2009 at 15:16.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Does choosing PHONG in 3ds2bin not solve the problem? As opposed to GOURAUD or PHONG GOURAUD?

I just sent the "final" test version of DCE Base B to the testers, and don't expect them to find much. So I get to turn to the last one, Base C, which hopefully won't take 6 months to polish up like B has.

Does choosing PHONG in 3ds2bin not solve the problem? As opposed to GOURAUD or PHONG GOURAUD?
    According to old posts by ZylonBane, The Dark Engine can only handle Gouraud. I haven't noticed any difference between the two (three including the combination) either, when testing them (before I searched TEG for answers).

Desperately dodgy geezer
    I just sent the "final" test version of DCE Base B to the testers, and don't expect them to find much. So I get to turn to the last one, Base C, which hopefully won't take 6 months to polish up like B has.
    To celebrate this small milestone, two new screenshots! Clicky for big pics.

Very nice

That cart needs object system > immobile: true

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Thanks for catching that, it's been added to my list. I'm already making changes - when posting those screenshots I was admiring the chimneys on the two detached buildings, and realized the main house had none!

Next item: That distant art is a bit meh, especially the bit with that light on the pole which keeps low flying aircraft away. What about those pictures redface made?

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Was it ever made into distant art? That would be perfect. All the missions in DCE take place in The City, specifically Dayport and Auldale, so a new cityscape would be a good addition.

Edit: Found Wille's conversion of Redface's city art, plus Alps and Prague.

Edit2:

I updated the first pic above with the cart's shadow and a second chimney visible.

Now there are three chimneys visible at the start.
    Last edited by Yandros; 25th Jul 2009 at 00:08.

Clearinghouse
    Beautiful!

Desperately dodgy geezer

Yeah, now that's the shit!

Thank you redface and Wille!
    Last edited by Yandros; 25th Jul 2009 at 09:16.

Nice!

I've been doing a lot of textures from scratch, making them more fitted to the environment. Simple line drawings in Corel draw imported into 3dsMax to make them pop/add texturing. These shots are from the main shopping area

That last one is from the Warp Ball arena (. . .which is thus far an extremely irritating place)
    Last edited by Sliptip; 25th Jul 2009 at 09:49.

Page 66 of 292 FirstFirst ... 16212631364146515661626364656667686970717681869196101106111116166 ... LastLast