TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 302 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108258 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

My projects in dromed have been put on hold while I get settled into this new PC. Quad chip + Vista + on-board sound card = As soon as I get everything copied over I'll be dromeding again even though the sound is coming out in mono. X-Fi is on the way.

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post

Another FM preview

And this is the sort of thing I get up to when I'm not being a taffer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0qbWJrurE
    1) Looking great R Soul.

2) That's some good driving there!

3) Did ye notice this on YouTube? Pretty good idea, if you ask me! He should have made that logo as an object, then he could make it fall over, and other stuff! If I did that, I'd have at least put a door in one of the letters and have a Zombie come out of it, making the Guard run away!

Quote Originally Posted by R Soul View Post
    I like my youtube account

Another FM preview

And this is the sort of thing I get up to when I'm not being a taffer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe0qbWJrurE
    i must do a preview like that of HOC2...

The Architect
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs View Post

3) Did ye notice this on YouTube? Pretty good idea, if you ask me!
    Would have been good if it was only 5 seconds long.

Iīm still working on 2 missions but one is not fare from betatest now (a classic robīn blind mission), herīs a couple of screen shot for yourīl

Nice screenshots!

Right now I'm not looking forward to the room brushing. I have done a lot of brushwork, but no room brushing or texturing yet and well, I actually fear the room brushing right now. I'm also redoing a major part of my mission (kind of inspired by Ottoj55's overhaul), which will also get rid of some new HOMs (the twin had an angry cousin).

Other than that I'm getting back to DromEd after a break to play, and be impressed by, the TDM demo mission.

The Architect
    Compared to almost everything else in dromed, roombrushing is an almost relaxing sort of busy work.

Now, debugging faulty roombrushing is the hard part.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Compared to almost everything else in dromed, roombrushing is an almost relaxing sort of busy work.....
    -

Are you F'ing serious!?

Quote Originally Posted by SlyFoxx View Post
    Are you F'ing serious!?
    HEAR HEAR!

Thatīs why I do all my roombrushing along the way, makeing a small area then roombrush it and then on to the next bit, and even then it sometimes is a pain in the b.. to get it right

The Architect
    Yes I'm serious!

Yes I'm serious!
    Actually I agree with Digi. I actually like doing the room brushing sometimes.

I don't know why everyone says the rooms must overlap though - mine never do. I changed the default size percentage to 0% so I don't have to look at a big mess of imperfectly fitting cubes. That went a long way towards me actually liking the roombrushing phase.

The Architect
    Agreed. My room brushes always fit snug with the air brushes (and once I realised that this was the better way, roombrushing became much better). That's what the filter functions in dromed help with!

Now, trying to roombrush when you're perpetually 10 brushes away from the max limit dead zone? That's nervous work.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip
    I changed the default size percentage to 0%
    How does one do that?

It's in your key binding file. Shift-Insert

The command for room brushing is "Brush_to_room 10" by default I believe. Just change it to "Brush_to_room 0"

Hey, that's a good idea!
    Percentages are so variable anyway, if only the function could create the roombrushes 0.10 units larger than their brush, rather than using a percentage...

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The only disadvantage I can see is that you have to filter out terrain to see (and easily select) your roombrushes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip View Post
    I changed the default size percentage to 0% so I don't have to look at a big mess of imperfectly fitting cubes.
    Thanks for the tip. That will make things a little easier - even though it goes against everything I've read about room brushing... Well, I have now tried it out in DromEd just to see it for myself and it's working Hmmm... they never taught me this at the DromEd Academy...

Quote Originally Posted by Sliptip
    I don't know why everyone says the rooms must overlap though - mine never do.
    Well, even the folks at LGS said this; they were the ones who set the default to 10%. Did they have an acute reason for this or were they just being precautious?

What about automaps? A marked location on an automap has the same size as the room brush (not the terrain brush itself). Maybe this is why LGS set the default to 10%, because they wanted the markings on the automap to slightly overlap the corresponding location as shown on the map.
    Last edited by qolelis; 19th Jan 2008 at 15:29.

The Architect
    The only reason I can see for making the room brushes larger than the rooms themselves is so that it's easier to select the room brushes in the dromed window.

Quote Originally Posted by qolelis
    A marked location on an automap has the same size as the room brush (not the terrain brush itself).
    My brain was taking a break when I wrote this and it's of course wrong

What I should have wrote was that the markings follow the player's movement through the room brushes. If the player stands in between two room brushes, both locations get highlighted on the map if there's an overlap, which is fine, but what happens if there is no overlap? I'm guessing that none of the locations will get highlighted (which is not fine), because the player is not inside any of them without the overlap.

The Architect
    The player's location exists as a point in the xyz field. If the two room brushes are touching, then the space between them is exactly zero. It's impossible for that point to exist in between two brushes that are zero distance apart. You're always in one or the other.

It helps if you make your room brushes snap to the grid!

The player's location exists as a point in the xyz field. If the two room brushes are touching, then the space between them is exactly zero. It's impossible for that point to exist in between two brushes that are zero distance apart. You're always in one or the other.
    OK, that sounds reasonable. I do recall, however, having played a mission where in a certain spot, no locations were highlighted on the map, even though it should have. I don't remember which FM it was and I may recall wrongly or it may have been for another reason.

It helps if you make your room brushes snap to the grid!
    Of course.

This is probably one of those knee-jerk fears, like that swallowing gum will block your arteries, but I had the impression you might not hear arrows hitting the wall unless the roombrush went over the air brush a little. But the way you guys are talking, I suppose that's just a myth.

Also, for the record, I like roombrushing for its own sake as well ... simple, mechanical, but probably mostly because you really know you're on the home-stretch when doing it. That and I like playing with the EAX settings, too ... it brings the area to life.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    but I had the impression you might not hear arrows hitting the wall unless the roombrush went over the air brush a little.
    It's easy to test, which I did and I can only confirm what has already been said, so I'm going to use overlap = 0 from now on. Thanks for pointing it out, Sliptip!

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue
    Also, for the record, I like roombrushing for its own sake as well ... simple, mechanical, but probably mostly because you really know you're on the home-stretch when doing it. That and I like playing with the EAX settings, too ... it brings the area to life.
    Yes, it will be really nice to be able to listen to my surroundings (and to look at something other than jorge (even though jorge has been very useful when resizing and moving terrain brushes)), but I do have some areas that I think will be a bit tricky to room brush. I have been running around in a silent world for some time now, but I still have things I need to finish before starting the room brushing (I'm first going to do all (major) brushwork and when I'm done with that I will do texturing and room brushing (simultaneously)).

I'm beginning a major re-write of my FM's story. Brush limits aside, I'm still thinking of breaking it into two missions, if not just to help the story by breaking it into two segments.

I also like roombrushing, even though I build my towns in the 'lots of solids in a big air brush' method. I really don't understand why some people claim that that makes roombrushing a nightmare.

Page 8 of 302 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358108258 ... LastLast