TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

I have an update on Love Story V. I've been dilligently working on part 2, and have most of the architecture done. Next will be objectives and readables. I have yet to start on part 3. I will post some screen shots as soon as I get the geocities to yahoo transition worked out.
    Love Story V Part 1 (100% complete), Part 2-1 (100% complete), Part 2-2 (100% complete)

That bed warmer looks nice, Larry!

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    use the bitmap fire effect i included in the pack, it'll make for a much nicer looking torch, otherwise they took really nice in those alcoves.
    Yes ... but the torches are placed in a haunted underworld, so I need to make use of that special 'flame' ... I guess they remain distinctive ...

The Academy's Receiving Room

I've been decorating. Hanging pictures, moving in furniture, brewing hot chicory for the guests ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dump021.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	232
    The room features an horno-style fireplace in the corner for those cold and damp days in The City. (An horno is ancient form of fireplace/oven introduced to the Iberian Peninsula by the Moors ... was it introduced to the Moors by the Precursors?)

Name:	dump024.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	234

Name:	dump025.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	235

EDIT: Oh, don't ask me about the color scheme. Keeper Talia led the decorating committee, and she has this notion about how colors influence behavior, she says that this room's color scheme will have a calming and soothing effect on any occupants ...
    Last edited by LarryG; 19th Nov 2009 at 20:22.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    The green is fine, but I'm not liking the ceiling texture or lights for some reason. I think it's the tiny repeat in the pattern. Otherwise, they look great as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    The green is fine, but I'm not liking the ceiling texture or lights for some reason. I think it's the tiny repeat in the pattern. Otherwise, they look great as usual.
    I have to disagree. I think it's very reminiscent of the Keeper Academy in TDP

d. 30.4.16 Always remembered
    I agree with Yandros. The ceiling also seems too...flat?
    The rest of the room is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    That hydrant looks too modern. The idea of a fire hydrant isn't a bad one in itself, but you need to make it fit better with the artistic style of Thief.

That model looks too rounded and stylish, I think. Plus, it looks like it was just dropped on the street in that picture, rather than being a part of it.
    I always thought that a hand operated artesian well is a better fit for Thief. I still have to add a grate where the excess water flows away.

Better or Worse?

What about this new light fixture?

Name:	dump026.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	236

The ceiling tiles, by the by, are about 2 units square. I think making them 4 units on a side is way too big. Trust me, it looks better in game than it does in the snaps.

I would add a frame between the green wall and purple ceiling LarryG. Maybe use the default Keeper tile texture which has an 8-sided decoration. I will post a pic of it later in case you don't know which texture I mean .

Also I think that the green is maybe too bright. Have you tried using the stock green wallpaper texture like in this screenshot?

Keeper Talia liked the tile border idea!

Name:	dump028.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	237

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Knock View Post
    I have to disagree. I think it's very reminiscent of the Keeper Academy in TDP
    That map really had some of the ugliest texturing in the entire game. The carpets... the carpets!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Keeper Talia liked the tile border idea!
    Nice! Give her my best regards .

The Architect
    Somewhere around here is an old thread about a haunted cathedral, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Search function must be gettin drunk with benny.

THC ... Redux

THC Redux ala UDK & Max 2010

(edit: I explain, here: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...66#post1932966)

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    That map really had some of the ugliest texturing in the entire game. The carpets... the carpets!
    That's the trick, isn't it? --to evoke the architecture and design of the T1 training mission without stepping over into ugly. Slightly off the expected, off the norm without making it ugly is a trick!

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Somewhere around here is an old thread about a haunted cathedral, but I'll be damned if I can find it. Search function must be gettin drunk with benny.

THC ... Redux

THC Redux ala UDK & Max 2010
    i don't understand... is that a brush or an object ?

..and the suspect is that is not a dromed map.. isn't it ?

The Architect
    Right now I've been dividing my time between CoSaS: 9YS and other projects. This is one of them... it's actually made 100% in 3dsmax 2010 and then imported as static meshes (there's six or seven of them there, lots of repetition among some elements) into the UDK (Unreal Development Kit) which is the new version of the Unreal engine (even more advanced that UT3... way more advanced in lighting). Some of you might remember earlier this year I did something similar with UT2k4 and Max 8. Well, if I want to keep my portfolio competitive I can't be showing off work done with "ancient" programs. Gotta keep with the times!

Before I was also attempting to design some sort of Hammerite style based on the haunted cathedral from TDP. This is still based on that cathedral (even more faithfully in some ways) but I'm dropping the Hammerite iconography and going for a style I'm calling Gothic-Deco.

so, i am working me too to the UDK...

hope there will be a forum dedicated soon..

p.s. i didnt notice that : ''THC Redux ala UDK & Max 2010'' the answer was in there -_-!

For some time I've been struggling with the brush limit:

I've found myself in the situation where it's possible for the player to do things in the wrong order. I've come up with solutions for most of the issues, but the ability to alter the terrain would be nice - but not essential.

The workaround in link 8 left too big a margin for error, since some of the AI might have links to/from other objects. I've now come up with a much more reliable solution:

In Dromed, filter out everything but Light and Object.
    Use tab/shift-tab to find the lowest object ID.
    For each object, note the ID if it has no links, and does not affect optimising (e.g. doors, TrolPts etc can be ruled out). Even lights can be included.
    With a list of IDs (one on each line), I used the advanced find/replace tool in notepad++ to do the following:
    Replace 'line break' (Ctrl + m) with [line break]hilight_brush[line_break]find_obj (with a space at the end)
    Then I sorted out the first and last lines.
    After those commands are sorted, put hilight_autoclear 0 at the start, and at the end multibrush_the_highlight and hilight_clear (the last one is to check that the multibrushing has worked.

So the file is something like this:
    Code:
    hilight_autoclear 0
    find_obj 10
    hilight_brush
    find_obj 11
    hilight_brush
    find_obj 12
    hilight_brush
    find_obj 16
    hilight_brush
    multibrush_the_highlight
    hilight_clear
    Save the multibrush, delete the brushes, alter the terrain, optimise the mission, reload the multibrush, and relight the mission (if necessary). There is a way to get the multibrush to appear in the right place when it loads, but I can't remember what it is.

Currently the mission is 119 brushes over the optimise limit. So far I've identified 168 objects. That means I could remove the objects and actually add some more terrain before putting them back. And that's not all.

So far I've only looked at the first 500 objects. Out if 2122. If the trend continues for 1/3 of all objects being safe to remove, I could remove around 700 objects. I can't see myself needing to add 580 terrain brushes to get back to the brush limit, but it's nice to know that I can.

What's wrong with using a Money Tree instead of going through all that work?

There are only 38 loot objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless Voice View Post
    What's wrong with using a Money Tree instead of going through all that work?
    What's a "Money Tree"? I only get one hit from the search engine, and that's no help:
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Money Tree, baby!

This is strange to me... we were way over the limit too, but had dozens of tport traps and they all worked fine.

It's the use of S&R to create loot objects. An object is stimmed when the mission starts, and it has lots of receptrons using the 'create object' action.
    (See list of receptron effects 'create object' info)

Why limit it to loot?

You're right, it could be used for other objects, but it can't be used to create objects that cast shadows or emit lights, because they're be needed by the editor for when the lighting is done. In my case quite a lot of the objects I can remove are lights or cast shadows.

Page 86 of 311 FirstFirst ... 364146515661667176818283848586878889909196101106111116121126131136186 ... LastLast