TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: What are you working on RIGHT NOW - T1/2 Dromed Edition

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwaa2 View Post
    1920x1200
    What make is it? My first attempt at buying an LCD at that resolution got me a panel so huge (and shoddy) that there was no place I could sit without getting color shifting effects.

Mine is 1920 x 1200 too, but I don't have an LCD. I have a Sony GDM-W900 - 24" CRT Display. It is absolutely the best monitor I have ever bought! Bought used and 5+ years old it beats the pants off of any LCD I have ever seen.

Moderator and Priest
    Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    What make is it? My first attempt at buying an LCD at that resolution got me a panel so huge (and shoddy) that there was no place I could sit without getting color shifting effects.
    You need to look at what kind of panel you're getting. Most LCDs you pick up in stores are TN panels. They're the cheapest to produce, cheapest to buy, have the best response times (really a moot point ultimately), but suffer from horrible viewing angle issues.

If you want an LCD with great color quality and a wide shiftless viewing angle, get one with an IPS panel, specifically an H-IPS if you want to go high end...but be prepared to fork over about $500+ for one.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Mine is 1920 x 1200 too, but I don't have an LCD. I have a Sony GDM-W900 - 24" CRT Display. It is absolutely the best monitor I have ever bought! Bought used and 5+ years old it beats the pants off of any LCD I have ever seen.
    I want one too . You can't find better monitor than that.

Moderator and Priest
    I'd love to have a good CRT Widescreen. The only problem with it is it weighs 100 lbs. and probably costs an arm and a leg nowadays.

edit: yup. $1000 for a used. Damn shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post

A bit more bread saturation and difference from the wood colour. Maybe the problem is the image I'm using more than the technique... I'm still not happy with it.
    You might want to change the background wood to a more grayish color. That might give you more contrast between the background and the picture. Just a thought.....

Quote Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
    I'd love to have a good CRT Widescreen. The only problem with it is it weighs 100 lbs. and probably costs an arm and a leg nowadays.

edit: yup. $1000 for a used. Damn shame.
    $700 +/- from Unkle Vito [sic.]. I'm extra lucky in that he is only about 10 miles away from me, as he is the only trained and authorized repair facility for these monitors in the USA anymore. Sony is shutting down its San Diego shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    I'd like to see some stats on that, and I'd like to change the official rule to be 1024, but it depends on what the majority of people are still using.
    While I personally use 1280x1024 (and 1400x1050 on my laptop), I would advise against increasing the limit, because I'd say quite a number of people view the forums on netbooks, which, as far as I know, have a resolution of something like 1024x600.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Seconding Renz's comment regarding the panel technology. I specifically made sure to buy an M-VA panel, because TN panels are notorious for bad colours reproduction and poor viewing angles.

I read a lot of articles about screen types before I bought this one, and as I recall *VA panels have the best colour reproduction and viewing angle, TN panels are the fastest and cheapest but have poor colours and poor viewing angle, and IPS panels are a middle ground having good everything but generally being even more expensive than *VA panels.

In any case, the panel technology is the single most important factor when choosing an LCD, yet most of them won't even tell you what technolgy they are. It's possibly a bit out-of-date by now, but this site has a lot of useful information regarding monitor technologies: http://www.prad.de/en/

i like that now.

hammer, anvil, forge and fire

(pull down the volume.. sorry but the rec sound was bad balanced)

Looking good!

Whoa, sterlino, I can't wait to see that in game! The effects are really impressive!

Crazy Dromed peeps!

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggs View Post
    Crazy Dromed peeps!
    Hey Sluggs, how the hell are ya?

Last week all the phone lines in my area died, something to do with ice damaging roads which damaged underground cables. The result was that I spent less time on the internet and more time working on my missions. I fixed a pathfinding error which I'd been ignoring for ages - it was caused by chairs.

I also set up a rather complicated scripted effect which will hopefully make the players nervous

Whether or not they should be nervous is another matter...

Just finished movies pack for King's Story. It contains briefing for mission 1, briefing for mission 2, final cutscene and one extra video. All them are compressed with Indeo 5, so no one player should has problems watching them.
    There is no anything extraordinary (like amazing FXs). I tried to stay in frames of Thief OM's briefing style. (Thanks Roon for great drawings!) It is rather informing than breathtaking, but I hope I managed to fill it with the proper mood.
    The volume of video is even less than the mission itself.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Zontik View Post
    The volume of video is even less than the mission itself.

Супер, Zontik

I've picked up my FMs again, but I wont be releasing them for a while still. Nonetheless, Tuttocomb's Tomb for T2 should be ready for beta within a short while.

Summer Vacation Contest Winner 2010
    Cool Sperry, looking forward to it! Love your fm's!

Excellent news, Sperry! I was wondering recently what your progress was.

I realized for the first time the other day that you can set Opacity, Density and Hardness on the Eraser tool.
    Certainly makes the faded paint look a lot easier. (I may have overdone it on this sign, though)

nice job yandros.

and yes... i remember that lesson me too.. there is always something to discover with photopaint.

Quote Originally Posted by Yandros View Post
    I realized for the first time the other day that you can set Opacity, Density and Hardness on the Eraser tool.
    It's better to use an opacity mask layer so that you are not affecting the original image when making sections semi-transparent.

That would be even better. Do you happen to know how to do that in PSP?

ZylonBane
    Just go to Masks -> New

Wow, that's really nice to know! I just played around with it a bit, and it will definitely be useful.

My only question is, in PSP7 at least, masks are 8bit greyscale. If I use the eraser tool on the actual image layer, do I get more depth of transparency than that? If not I don't see any reason not to use an opacity mask.

Well, generally colours are 0-255 anyway; in greyscale you just have 0-255 grey, rather than 0-255 red + 0-255 green + 0-255 blue. So I'd say it's the same.
    (I don't use PSP though.)

Page 97 of 232 FirstFirst ... 4752576267727782879293949596979899100101102107112117122127132137142147197 ... LastLast