TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Thief I + II Sound effects enhancement pack

I have to add that I'm finding the usual guard grumblings absent. I know there are some missions where they are not implemented, but I am cycling through lots of old missions while I wait for new ones, and the odds I'm picking at random missions without guard sounds is astronomical.

Perhaps it is the way some of us installed it? Is there no way to consolidate the original with the new sounds? I would think that an enhanced sound file with the same name and extension would overwrite the original, while leaving original sound files to be available when called upon...

I really like the new sounds and the added immersion they bring, please don't think I'm critical of that!

At the moment there is no good reason I can tell... Nor can I tell a solution, maybe because I only have the German versions. Though actually the voice files aren't touched... Give me some time, I will check this soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Child Of Karras View Post
    At the moment there is no good reason I can tell... Nor can I tell a solution, maybe because I only have the German versions. Though actually the voice files aren't touched... Give me some time, I will check this soon.
    If this be the case, what harm would it be to openly provide the proper file without angering the powers that be?

To follow up, what would the German version as opposed to the rest of our versions gain with the German censorship of "violent" games with regards to the ramblings of guards as they pursue Garrett?

Just asking...

Don't worry, verbal violence is the least they would cut out here. One thing that popped to my mind: Do you have a complete installation of Thief? I think he made the pack from this perspective since we never had any other setup. This way there could be ("could" because I'm not sure which files are missing in a normal one) the problem that his installer creates a snd.crf which is usually not there, the game thinks: "Oh, now I can take the one from the hard disk!" although this file is of course incomplete. However I doubt it.

That is a good point, Beleg. I know, it works on a Typical (~600MB) and the complete (~900MB) installation. Dunno how about the light one.

How does one crack open the original sound file, and the same for the sound enhancement file, then integrate them so that FM's work normally, and enhanced sometimes?

I barely know what I'm talking about, but it is a logical question.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    One thing that popped to my mind: Do you have a complete installation of Thief? I think he made the pack from this perspective since we never had any other setup. This way there could be ("could" because I'm not sure which files are missing in a normal one) the problem that his installer creates a snd.crf which is usually not there, the game thinks: "Oh, now I can take the one from the hard disk!" although this file is of course incomplete. However I doubt it.
    I have the full installation, yes.

The new snd.crf overwrite the original one. With ThiefEdit, like Child of Karras said, I saw that the sound of every AI wasn't edited, so the .wav are not in the new snd.crf. (I guess it's because of the different languages versions). Now, like Beleg said, the game use the new snd.crf, so to say without the AI sound files.

By the way, I don't play with the CD because of the loading time in the drive. Instead, I use the CD image with VirtualDrive. So, i'm not sure if the game read the snd.crf from the CD and from the HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by 10Brooklyn01 View Post
    Is there no way to consolidate the original with the new sounds? I would think that an enhanced sound file with the same name and extension would overwrite the original, while leaving original sound files to be available when called upon...

I really like the new sounds and the added immersion they bring, please don't think I'm critical of that!
    I think that should be a considerable solution, but I'm not good enough with editing, so that is just a suggestion.

Keep up the good work !

Versions?

Question for Child Of Karras:

Is the version on southquarter older than the version from the link in post 1?

It works fine except for the footfalls, can barely hear them. I can't tell which version is later. I downloaded the one posted on southquarter.

Is there any issues with reinstalling the sound pack?

Thank you and great job BTW.

The ones in the first post are always the most up-to-date ones.
    Wen reinstalling the package I recommend to first delete the snd.crf and rename the snd.bak to snd.crf again.
    I fixed the foot steps some time ago. Southquater got I think one of the first versions.

Quote Originally Posted by TricKsteR80 View Post
    I have the full installation, yes.

The new snd.crf overwrite the original one. With ThiefEdit, like Child of Karras said, I saw that the sound of every AI wasn't edited, so the .wav are not in the new snd.crf. (I guess it's because of the different languages versions). Now, like Beleg said, the game use the new snd.crf, so to say without the AI sound files.
    So there's only the SFX folder left with files? I wonder how that can be, as 7-zip only exchanges the SFX folder within the zip.
    I will try to get an English version or at least the English snd.crf file to look for the error.

At the moment I can't explain this...

I'd like to remind the guys having problems of this post. So just de-install the pack and change the files manually via the archive.

It doesn't seem to be a matter of the language of the Thief installation. I just had the opportunity to test it in an English Thief 2 installation. No problems there.

There are only a few things I can suggest: Before installing, check the existence and size of the snd.crf in your Thief\RES or Thief\crfs directory. It should be several hundreds of MB. If not, copy the file from your Thief CDs. Then run the setup. If the files are broken again, you seem to be one of the few where it doesn't work correctly and we don't know why (maybe not Windows XP?), so delete snd.crf, rename snd.bak to .crf and change the files manually.

Aha!

The sound.crf in my installation is only 179 MB! However, the folder I put the original installed sound.crf in matches the size on the CD - 316 MB...

Success! I reinstalled 316 MB sound.crf and tried again. Now the file is 436 MB!
    Last edited by Brooklyn; 7th Mar 2008 at 05:28. Reason: update

Nice !

I did like you 10brooklyn01, I copied the snd.crf from the CD to the RES directory. In that same directory, I have deleted all the files that were not there before the installation of the new sounds. After, I open the Thief2sounds.exe directly in my Thief 2 directory. It worked !

The first time I tried, it didn't work before because I've made a mess trying to install the files manually after I did install the .exe in another directory..... And trying to install it normally after all this mess, it doesn't work. Thanks ! I finally enjoy !

I guess I must have manually backed up my sound.crf before installing, and because the program could not find it, installed itself anyway, and reinstalling would thus make a backup up the newer sound.crf , which is of course smaller!

I don't even know what I'm talking about!

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

For whatever reason, the installer from thief1sounds.zip refuses to patch my T1:TDP snd.crf. I backed up the CRF and manually installed the new sound pack.

Try increasing audio channels

Well, I decided to try this out, and I installed the thief 1 gold pack... well, the installation worked just fine, but i noticed some sounds were not working... well, as CoK suggested, indirectly I might add, increasing the audio channels should fix it: and by golly it did. For me anyway. The bow sounds so weird now.. I guess it is supposed to sound more "realistic", but it will be hard to get used to that. Also, I kind of find the footsteps a tad quiet, but then again, maybe thief gold made them too unrealistic in how loud they were. I guess I should go jump on cobblestone and see how it sounds. Oh, btw, I failed to notice much difference (just tested it briefly in bafford's mind you) except for the menu seems a tad different, the blackjack is definately noticable, the bow is noticable, and of course garret's footsteps and the ai's footsteps; and carpet is significantly quieter. Could you maybe give us a detailed 'readme' ? I'll give you a cybercookie!

Also that was a long install process! It's like hmmm.... i wonder if this is going to f*** my puter up?
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 16th Apr 2008 at 00:58.

I believe – though I don't know it right now – that the bow sound might be from TDS. If you wanted it to be real, you'd just hear the sliding of the arrow at the utmost since the bow itself shouldn't make any crunching noises (personally, I'd throw it away if it did ). The footsteps should also be from TDS, too, so basically all the other files have "only" a better quality, i.e. less noise etc.. The CoK prepared some before/after mp3s, but he hasn't uploaded them yet I fear. Of course, the changes are not as obvious as those of an objects enhancement pack.

I installed this too and it sounds perfect. Would be nice to have the videos with a restored sound, too

The Before/After MP3s are linked in my opening post for about a month now.

I tried to install the sound upgrade for Thief Gold. Before the installation, I had no "crfs" folder, snd.crf was in my "res" folder and 164MB big. After the installation, the snd.crf in my "res" folder was still 164MB, but I now had a "crfs" folder with a snd.crf that was just 128MB in size (so obviously, the install had failed in some way).

So I deleted the 128MB file, and replaced it with a copy of my original (164MB) snd.crf. I ran the installer again, and this time it created a snd.crf that´s 271MB big.

Long story short: For the Thief 1 sound upgrade installer to work, you need the right snd.crf AND it has to be in your "crfs"-folder (create one if you have none).

BANNED
    Sorry men, but there's only the german version of this???

I should be interested to download it, but in the english version...

I don't think our French and English (speaking) taffers would have downloaded it if there were German guards all of a sudden.

It affects only the ambient sounds/music and SFX. However, I'd still be interested in audio-restored cutscenes; maybe I'll bugger him...

Is there a way to uninstall the sound pack? I do like most of the sounds, however the blackjack sound (the whiff and the thump) aren't nearly beefy enough for me. Sorry ;-) Not knocking the quality of the pack - it's quite good - it's just my personal preference.

Is there a way to uninstall the sound pack without reinstalling Thief? The download is lacking a read me.
    Last edited by Sayne; 16th Jun 2008 at 23:21.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast