TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Thief I + II Sound effects enhancement pack

Do normal voices work? Idle talk of the watchmen and all?

Sorry, I got a bit busy the other day, and only just checked now to confirm this:

No vocal sounds whatsoever. Not even event-triggered dialog. Nothing. Just incidental sounds like footsteps, hitting and whatnot.

Well the good news is that I've found a solution. I copied all the other sound file directories in snd.crf over to the snd.zip file created by the FX installer. Now, I wasn't sure if that new zip was just all the old sound files backed up (and didn't bother checking) so I just brute-forced the installer open and extracted all the new sounds again and put them into that snd.zip as well.

All of it is good now. Kinda wondering if anyone else will have this problem in the future?

Sounds like you didn't have a complete snd.crf from the beginning. Usually it should have been about 300 MB after the installation of the game.

No, I had the full snd.crf file. I dunno why, but even with the file in the REF directory, Thief II wouldn't detect it. It does, however, detect the snd.zip file that was created. Issue fixed, and I'm still wondering why.

jtr7
    Had you done a full install when you installed Thief? Are you playing through DarkLoader? One wrong click can leave your folders screwed up.

No nothing like that. I used the retail CDs, had it all setup init. vanilla and then to 1.18 and then 1.19 on top. Not much else. Also, It was a new install and so I've relied soully on FMSel.

Really, not sure why this is. And I haven't done much in the way of changing my config beyond the new ND settings.

jtr7
    So ALL the files are on your hard drive, and there's just a mystery disconnect.

Yeah, seems so. Look, I won't lie when I say that to this day, I find how T2 handles file directories (like .crf files and whatnot) a little bit confusing when it comes to adding mods into the mix. Things get screwed up every now and then, it seems like.

This is yet another occurence on my part of this sort. Kinda wishing it were easier to solve what the issue was to begin with, but it's really not worth worrying about.

I was just saying that if anyone ever experienced the same problem I was having, then they could try the same thing I did. Rename the snd.crf to snd.zip and place the new sound files into the snd.zip and replace the old sound directories within.

Just as an update, the installer should maybe try something like create a new file and link to it with cam_mod.ini. I just installed this again yesterday and I had the same issues as last time, so clearly the installer is doing something wrong with the ND file setup.

I solved it the same way I did last time, though, but I'm sure it's not the simplest fix.

Did you rerecord the guard comments in Thief 2? Because that I think was the biggest disappoinment. The voice acting of those guys (and girls) was just lame except for Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by FenrisUlf View Post
    Did you rerecord the guard comments in Thief 2? Because that I think was the biggest disappoinment. The voice acting of those guys (and girls) was just lame except for Benny.
    This is a SOUND enhancement pack, not a voice enhancement one.

Also, I don't see anything wrong with the original dialogue in T2. Sure, guards are a mixed bag, but this was the same with T1/G, and yet ultimately it doesn't detract from the overall game. That's not even remotely the focus.

Albert: which OS are you using?

If you're using Windows Vista or 7 there might be problems in combination with UAC (user account control, you know, that thing that always darkens the screen and asks if you really wanna execute this). Try to run the setup as an administrator so it won't try to write files into the Virtual Storage (which is somewhere in the AppData folder of your user name).
    Last edited by Child Of Karras; 10th Apr 2013 at 18:14.

What? I'm not having any issues at the moment with the enhancement pack. I was talking about stuff you haven't even touched, for a guy who doesn't understand sound enhancement. (FenrisUlf that is.)

Anyone using this mod? Is it compatible with latest releases of TFix/Tafferpatcher?
    Really curious if the sounds sound natural in T1/T2. I mean, most of them are from T3, this could sound weird?

This patch works completely independed from other patches and shouldn't conflict with them. And I've removed all Thief 3 sounds and replaced them with the restored Thief 1/2 sounds for the latest version.

So Thief HD + Thief SEEP = pure awesomeness??

HD-Mod, EP and SEEP is my combination.

What? The Enhancement Pack does work with the hd texture mod?! Is there a specific update chronology I must respect or how do you install all the packs correctly?

You can find videos of mod installations here.

Thankyou nickie, that helped a lot!

Is there an before & after video that demonstrates the changes? I am not sure if SEEP warrants the effort when I get ready for my first T2X playthrough.

There was one many years ago. I might make a new one though. However, I'm not sure it will affect T2X at all since IIRC T2X uses all new sounds anyway.

Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info, Child of Karras.

Comparison video added in the opening post. It's a little dark, but the sound is more important.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast