TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's the funniest thing in Oblivion?

Hewlett Packard

What's the funniest thing in Oblivion?

Personally, I couldnt help smiling every time those Mythic Dawn nutters take a swing at you with a hearty 'The dawn is breaking!!' Maybe its the way they say it, or how out-of-context it is in combat, but it just cracks me up.

For me, the best deliberately funny thing is talking with Lord Rugdumph. Just do the Fighter's Guild quests and you'll meet him eventually.

There's loads of unintentional comedy, mostly from NPC and/or creature interactions.

Hewlett Packard

Cat people are just kinda funny by nature...

Come to think of it, the fact that those cat-bastards hail from Elsewhere (Elsweyr) is pretty damn funny. Like they just ran out of names for provinces. "I dunno. They come from elsewhere... HEY! THAT'S IT!!!"

The humor in the dialogue of Sheogorath and several others from Shivering Isles make vanilla Oblivion's seem dull by comparson.

"Wonderful! Time for a celebration... Cheese for everyone! Wait, scratch that. Cheese for no one. I suppose that can be just as much of a celebration, if you don't like cheese, true? You've run a maze like a good little rat. But no cheese for you yet. Well, maybe a little."

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottKnowsBest View Post
    Come to think of it, the fact that those cat-bastards hail from Elsewhere (Elsweyr) is pretty damn funny. Like they just ran out of names for provinces. "I dunno. They come from elsewhere... HEY! THAT'S IT!!!"
    I was under the impression that it came from an old design plan of the creators', along the lines of, 'Err, they're not from here, there's from ... elsewhere.'

The way the male NPCs walk. (swish, swish, swish)
    Last edited by nuckinfutzcat; 6th Feb 2008 at 07:47. Reason: I post therefore I edit

I was talking to a woman in one of the cities and she asked what penalty would you face for necrophillia and she laughed when I answered a 500 fine for the first indiscreation, and she said "that that was nothing compared to the penalty back home".

I had a good giggle at that one.

I have also come across a talking horse (have no idea whats going on there)

Hewlett Packard

Talking horse?!

Yeah I ran into Falanu Hlaalu and her little necrophelia fetish as well. But a talking horse? That sounds pleasantly absurd. Where can I find this educated beast?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottKnowsBest View Post
    Yeah I ran into Falanu Hlaalu and her little necrophelia fetish as well. But a talking horse? That sounds pleasantly absurd. Where can I find this educated beast?
    I'm pretty sure it's just a bug seen mostly in the in the GOTY edition. Basically a horse missing it's Imperial soldier rider but retaining the dialogue.

I once saw one of the courier riders attacked by a wolf. Wolf killed horse, I killed wolf. Afterward I had a pleasant chat with the courier, who was still laying on the ground in the saddle of her dead horse.

The funniest thing is how whenever an AI attacks someone accidentally, it gets changed so that the victim is now an enemy. You can start an Imperial Legion civil war if you place yourself right with the archers. Then just ~player.payfine
    and you can sit back and watch!

Easy way to get lots of silver arrows.

What? No one's mentioning the flaming raining dog?

Hewlett Packard
    That was more 'really odd' or 'kinda disturbing' than it was funny, i think. Maybe it's just me........

Turning collision off, using a bunch of ranged spells with a large area of effect on different objects, turning collision on again and watching tonnes of cutlery, weapons and just random scrolls and potions suddenly jump of the tables and fly around the room like a storm of items

Carefully placing a jug on a table crowded with books only to have it shoot straight up, stick in the ceiling (spinning) then shoot across the room, and somehow kill me.

Though, I did enjoy myself when a dawn sleeper agent shouted a battle call at me from the statue near the entrance as I was walking along the elevated sidewalk outside the Oak and Crossier. Dutifully I leapt upwards with my sword out powering up an attack, managed to land right on his head and swing, looking down. It swifty ended his impertinence, all before the guards converging on us could even get near. It was perhaps the shortest altercation of all time.

One night, I fouled up a theft or something, got the guards after me. I didn't want to pay the fine because I was saving up for a house, and had to run from the nord town near the Blades' fort down to the DB hideout. Obviously it was not an easy pursuit. That one night, I managed to go from being a perfectly lawful citizen, to having an infamy rating of 71. I am still paying the consequences.

Also, one time, in that same town, I saw the innkeeper from the place by the main gate chase down to the castle gates, and murder the altmer that sold furniture.

So far I've run into two people in different cities who say (to any NPC that stops in front of them), 'I don't know you and I don't want to know you.'

Cracks me up every time!

It's always fun to watch a bandit chasing after a fleeing sheep and yelling "You move like a pregnant cow!"

Oh, and one time I had a freakishly weird "out of body experience." I got on my horse, and I disappeared. In fact, it almost felt like I was directly controlling the horse, like I had become the horse. I run around in circles for a bit, and then I encounter a sinister figure standing stiffly in the middle of a field near where I first mounted the horse... and then I realize that it's me, it's my character. I run into him, and he limply starts toppling down a steep hill, then suddenly the "You're dead" music plays and the reload screen comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by PeeperStorm View Post
    It's always fun to watch a bandit chasing after a fleeing sheep and yelling "You move like a pregnant cow!"
    I want to see this.

What the hell??

For me, the game's physics engine provides some entertainment every now and then.

Together with someone else who came around coincidentally, I killed a troll (I think) some weeks ago. The troll's head fell backwards until it hit the ground, but the troll's feet stood firmly on the ground as well. So this dead troll is still standing there near the road, its body shaped like an inverted U (and with the belly up), head and feet firmly on the ground, arms hanging down limp at the sides. (Perhaps it's a bridge troll?)

On another occasion, I killed someone in a dungeon, on top of a flight of stairs. The dead one fell on top of the first stair, and just had enough momentum for his head to fall down on the second stair. The body now began gliding down the stairs very slowly, reaching the fourth or fifth step after about 20 or 30 seconds. Then, I went past, for I had something else to do in there.

And for the conversations... well, certainly the ones with the paranoid guy in one of the western cities were sometimes funny. Furthermore, about every orc is as friendly as if he/she just wanted to rip your head off (at least in the localized german version of the game). That includes shopkeepers. Sometimes I wonder how they keep their business going.

There may be other funny stuff out there for me to be found, but I've just begun Oblivion, and have not seen too much yet.

Earlier today I heard the following from one Frenzied bandit who was attacking another just as the spell was wearing off: "You're a traitor to your own race! I'm very pleased to meet you."

i havn't seen much funny in there, but probably the funniest thing i've seen in oblivion is the door spasms when you drag a corpse in a door way and close the door.