TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: LGS was doing a STAR TREK GAME??!

Bruny

LGS was doing a STAR TREK GAME??!

"Though it's not widely publicized, Looking Glass was working on a game with the Star Trek: Voyager license at the time as well. In the spring of 1997, the Voyager game was cancelled and Thief proved to be a bit frustrating"

A History of Irrational Software

Raven's version was pure CRAP! Imagine what kind of game we could have played if LGS had done it instead. In the Dark Engine!

Keeper of Metal and Gold

Oh well, the past is long gone. I though Voyager, Elite Force was cool though

------------------

ender_sai

I played the Elite Force demo, it was really nice, fun game, the best Star Trek game in a long time.

------------------
    -Christian "Ender" Cox-
    Designer / Artist
    Ethereal Software

Smurph

If there's one thing Raven can do well it's an FPS, and I think Elite Force is certainly no exception to that ....it's only weaknesses were it's brevity, and a lame and all too typical end of the game boss battle ... other than that .... it simply doesn't get any better in the FPS genre

;^")*

------------------
    Smurph It Down!(tm)

Avalon

1337 Farce was a good FPS, but as a Star Trek game, it was severely lacking. But maybe that's because it's based on the worst Star Trek series of the lot... Though, it would've been nice to see what LGS had in mind for such a game.

------------------
    T2x Project Lead
    The Sanctum
    The Sanctum Discussion Board
    Beware the coming of the Machines...

[This message has been edited by Avalon (edited March 10, 2001).]

I'd heard that LGS were doing a Star Trek game. I think I heard it mentioned on the forums at somepoint...
    Never saw a screenie or anything...

Andy

I think it was a 2D adventure game. (I know the 2D part sounds strange, maybe I'm wrong...)

Andy

Author Topic:** Looking Glass & Star Trek Voyager
    Baggie Man Member posted September 01, 1999 07:41 PM
    Could someone please shed some light on this subject? About a year or two ago I read an article in PC Gamer that stated Looking Glass was developing a new game based on Star Trek Voyager.

It was either one of those "Upcoming Games You Have to Play" or "Upcoming Star Trek Games" type articles. I remember seeing a screen shot of the bridge and maybe a corridor. The blurb stated how incredibly detailed the "game world" was expected to be. I was actually a bit concerned since it seems most Star Trek games usually tank.

Well anyway considering I have heard nothing of this project since then, I am assuming it was shelved. Can some one shed some light on this subject or tell me any inside scoop on this defunct game? What happened? Did it turn into System Shock 2 when EA agreed on the re license System Shock to Looking Glass again? Thanks

------------------ "When the going gets weird, the weird get professional ."

[This message has been edited by Baggie Man (edited September 01, 1999).]

IP: Logged

Mr Croft Member posted September 01, 1999 07:52 PM*
    All I know is Raven software is making Star Trek Voyager:Elite Force using the Quake 3 engine. I never heard that rumor before.

------------------ Mr. Croft ~ Have you signed the Ultima Underworld 3 Petition yet?! Oh ya & by the way, "Go Raid Somethin"

Deus_Irae Member posted September 01, 1999 08:59 PM
    Yeah, they were working on it -- I forget the exact reason it was cut, but it might have had something to do with the license running out. ACtually, now that I think about it, I thought I heard something a while back that since they didn't make that much with TN, they had to refocus some of their teams, and Voyager might have gotten dropped by the wayside...

SshepDSV New Member posted September 01, 1999 09:48 PM *** **** **
    Here is the official status of the voyager game coming from a dedicated trekie.

The thing about looking glass making a game was really only an idea, never official. Raven is making a game called Voayger: Elite Force wich does use the quake engine and is supposed to be very good.

Have a nice day :-)

EvilSpirit Moderator posted September 01, 1999 10:58 PM *** **** **
    Gee, I worked on that "idea" for over a year. It was very much a real project, thank you. We worked under contract with Viacom NewMedia, a teeny little subsidiary of the entertainment giant Viacom, owner of Paramount Studios (among many other things).

When Viacom NewMedia merged operations with Viacom acquiree Virgin Interactive, a number of projects were cancelled in the process. LookingGlass' Star Trek: Voyager was one of them. The current Voyager-based game is an unrelated product.

Deus_Irae Member posted September 01, 1999 11:03 PM *** **** **
    Thanks for the info -- I always sort of wondered what happened to that, since I had high hopes for it being the Star Trek Game That Wouldn't Actually Suck. Sigh.

Digital Nightfall Administrator posted September 01, 1999 11:15 PM *** **** **
    Looking Glass Studios making a Star Trek Voyager game...

hmm...

hhmmm hmm hmmmmmm......

Would be like Isaac Asimov writing a novel based on the Power Rangers....

Abdiel Moderator posted September 02, 1999 01:07 AM *** **** **
    Mmmmmmmm. . .

Asimov. . .

It's always been a toss-up for me, between the Good Doctor, Connie Willis, and Heinlein.

I could ask for a game based on an Asimov novel, but until AI was sophisticated enough to perfectly simulate personalities coversing in true language, it would be terrible. All of Asimov is naught but talking.

Willis is no better in that respect. Boy is she cool, though.

Digital Nightfall Administrator posted September 02, 1999 01:10 AM *** **** **
    Whatever happened to that StarShip Troopers game, based on the book, rather then the movie? Did it go vaporware?

Marcus T Member posted September 02, 1999 03:46 AM ***
    What a shame about Star Trek: Voyager. EvilSpirit, what happened to the results of your hard work? Isn't there a chance you might be able to do something about the game? (I've heard Virgin Interactive is no longer.)

Alun Bestor Member posted September 02, 1999 05:54 AM ***
    Wasn't some guy on the boards complaining a while ago that shock2 used a lot of the same art he'd seen from screenshots of the ST:Voyager game (as if use of previously unused resources was a bad thing)? Was the design of SS2 particularly influenced by the leftover art you had, or was it a happy coincidence?

Ken Levine Member posted September 02, 1999 09:13 AM ***
    Though a number of people on Shock 2worked on voyager, there is absolutely no shared art between the two projects. Voyager was a Bioforge-style game with pre-rendered backgrounds and bit mapped characters a la terra nova.

------------------ Ken Levine President, Irrational Games Lead Designer, System Shock 2 www.irrational-games.com

Marcus T Member posted September 09, 1999 11:22 AM ***
    That's interesting.

Was all of it lost, or do you guys still have the unfinished game stashed somewhere?

Ken Levine Member posted September 09, 1999 11:57 AM ***
    It's stashed somewhere, but as voyager was a game with pre-rendered backgrounds and sprite-based characters, it has no practical use anymore.

------------------ Ken Levine President, Irrational Games Lead Designer, System Shock 2 www.irrational-games.com

Marcus T Member posted September 09, 1999 02:08 PM ***
    Hmm... that's a shame. Which brings me to another question, how many projects is being canned, unfinished, and what happens to the leftovers? (Are you using it in any way for other purposes?)

[This message has been edited by Marcus T (edited September 09, 1999).]

EvilSpirit Moderator posted September 09, 1999 03:27 PM ***
    Industry-wide, a lot of games get cancelled before ever seeing the light of day.

At LG... Voyager, Dark Camelot, Junction Point, Terra Nova Multiplayer... that's all I can think of. And of course Dark Camelot rolled right over into working on Thief.

(after much editing, a copy that doesn't look weird and/or mess up the page)

Thanks to David for taking out most of the links...

[This message has been edited by Andy Margulies (edited March 10, 2001).]

I believe you were looking for This Thread Mr. Margulies

Heh I got to it before you edited it.

------------------
    Look at you hacker, panting and sweating as you run through my corridoors

Owner of many Disney 'toys' in 'the' closet!
    Praise GLIM! Now and Always...
    +1

[This message has been edited by David (edited March 10, 2001).]