TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bit o' new Desktop Art

I decided to give it a go. I took Beleg's 400 dpi image and fixed it up a bit.

jtr7
    Is that full-size, marshall banana? The contrast adjustment really helps.

Anyway, here's my lame attempt.
    -----------------
    Rustmonkey seems to have ceased sometime in 2005. I can't find verification, and somebody's continuing to pay for the neglected website.

I found this music video (sorry it's on MySpace, the music player didn't like being turned off, so it interrupted the video). I don't know what Noel's singing about, but the video's disturbing. It was released in, yep, 2004.

Daniel Thron as "Hairy Thug" in a 2007 Trans Am music video?

If that's him, over a year ago.

From an Interview with Dan Thron; January 27, 2005 :

He is the second man behind King's short story The Last Rung on the Ladder.

SKSM: Could you start with telling me a bit about yourself? Who are you and what do you do?

Dan Thron: I currently live in Boston, and make movies primarily for the videogame business, doing the ads and 'cutscenes'-- the (usually animated) cinematics that advance the story between levels of gameplay. I did the movies for Eidos' 'Thief' series for PC and Playstation, as well as work for 'Neverwinter Nights' (a Dungeons and Dragons license) and many others.

For the past 4 of those years, I've co-owned and ran an animation and effects company called Rustmonkey (www.rustmonkey.com), with the aim of making features.

SKSM: How did you become involved with The Last Rung on the Ladder?

Dan Thron: Jim and I went to high school together in Chatham, Massachusetts, and were on the same bus. We're both serious geeks (though Jim was much, much cooler than me -- you can ask him, I was a bit more of a Napoleon Dynamite character), so it wasn't long before we became good friends, talking about Star Wars, Aliens, etc. But unlike all my other friends, who mainly wanted to talk about how great it was to WATCH these movies, he was the only other person I knew who was as interested in the MAKING of them as I was.

Jim had already made a couple of very funny short films, and I believe he lent me the copy of King's 'Night Shift' collection that started the ball rolling, and suggested we do write to King.

SKSM: How did you get started as a (co-)director and what do you do on a production?

Dan Thron: There's a lot of good stuff in Night Shift, but Last Rung was a natural for us, as not only was it a non-effects based production -- so that it was within our budget and technical abilities -- but it was also a good mix of Jim's and my skills in storytelling.

Jim is an excellent character director, and I'm very visually oriented. And using Jim's wonderful adaptation as a base, I think we found the division of work quite easy -- I could focus on telling the story from a visual standpoint, and he could bring his vision to the actors, and take time to draw the gentle performance he wanted from them. We complimented each other very, very well I think.

SKSM: You worked with James Cole on this film, how was that?

Dan Thron: Jim is one of the most talented folks I know. I was amazed then, and continue to be amazed now at his process; He's patient and straightforeward; he communicates at a very real, very emotional level, and it's impossible not to be affected by his deep sense of empathy, whether in his writing or in his direction. In Last Rung, he treated the kids with incredible respect and trust, and the naturalism is evident on the screen. Likewise, he was very understanding of what I wanted to do with the camera. His confidence in everyone kept the set very peaceful and fun. A real pleasure; I learned a lot from watching him work.

SKSM: Was there any funny or special moment when you made the movie that you would like to tell me about?

Dan Thron: There is a running gag in all the outtakes from the film where Glen Whelden, brother of Melissa, who played Kitty, would run into frame and yell in a fake-old-man voice, "excuse me, is this the way to the Indian trading post?" and everyone would double over. I cannot for the life of me remember why that was so funny to us then, but there it is.

SKSM: Do you have any plans for making more movies based on Stephen King's stories? If you could pick - at least - one story to shoot, which one would it be and why?

Dan Thron: I would love to work on another King piece; certainly there are some movies I'd like to remake -- I'm convinced Firestarter would be beautiful if done right. But of the shorts, I really can't believe no one's tackled 'The Long Walk' -- I'd love to take a shot at that.

SKSM: Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. Is there anything else you want to say to the fans that read this interview?

Dan Thron: Thanks very much!
    Last edited by jtr7; 21st Feb 2008 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    Dan Thron: ... I did the movies for Eidos' 'Thief' series for PC and Playstation,
    Just a mental slip?

jtr7
    Trauma? Denial? Before the deal was made for the X-Balks, was another console in the bidding?

Way Late EDIT: http://www.ttlg.com/articles/t3p1.asp
    It was originally slated for the PS2, but I assume (assume, mind you), that something happened with that deal: Seamus Blackley was former LGS, and he had a major part to play in bringing us the XBOX itself, so I would hazard to guess that was how PS2 was out and the XBOX version was in, and RustMonkey was there early on before the switch, or the switch wasn't even on the RustMonkey radar, and might be burned the strongest in Dan's memory.
    Last edited by jtr7; 4th Feb 2011 at 01:00. Reason: Filling in the blank for posterity.

Neil Hamburger is also in it. Cool.

In the final days before T1's release, some sites were running an ad for Thief on the N64. I of course quickly contacted LGS and we all collectively scratched our heads and went wtf?

jtr7

WTF, indeed. Heh heh.

Alright lads, what do you all say? I would really like to see if we can get our hands on some original artwork, or at least determine its fate. Has something like this been attempted? If Eidos holds the intellectual property rights, would all previous artwork be tied to that license, or would we have a chance of getting it separated? Does anyone have any kind of educated guess what the rights to something like a computer game would sell for? (Out of curiosity)

JTR7, you and I seem to have crossed paths again with that interview, but I happy that we're on the same page. Im thinking that if we want to email someone about the artwork, the first place should be Eidos. Agree? If all we accomplish is fruitlessly sending out emails, I would still like to take part. Hell, I would do it alone if I had to. Of course, I want to educate myself as much as I can, hence my constant search for opinions. I realize what I hope for is pretty ambitious, but nothing ventured, nothing gained as they say.

jtr7
    Crossing paths is great! Crossing the beams, even if it helps get rid of Gozerians, is generally not that great. I know the devs have been asked to death about any surviving media and materials. I know that at least a few of them are sitting on stuff they would love to share, but without the right to do so, they may just take it out of it's box and turn it over and over in their hands. A well-written, respectful letter, void of typical fan-speak, guilt-trips, whining, begging, and ignorance of business and copyright realities, may work in our favor, provided we also direct our letter to someone who was there, believed in the game(s), and has an appreciation for it and/or our favorite devs. Unless the record-keeping for these stored-away assets is impeccable and fairly accessible, we need to contact someone who already has an inkling. I doubt Dan Thron would legally have any of his Thief work with him, but he may have photos or scans like the ones used in the German walkthrough.

And/or we could set up yet another petition. The worst part of it is, if it happens for us, only a few people will have these items, and they can only take pictures or pass them on. Hopefully none of it would end up on an online auction.

Just a quick reply before I hit the hay... I did think of who would be in physical possession of the works, should anything be obtained, and I figure that there would be no better place than in the hands of the founders of TTLG. Their work here and in the Thief community make them the ideal candidates. Whatever we may (if we're so lucky) obtain would belong to the community, and the community heads are thus best suited to be the guardians.

jtr7
    So far, that's actually been the way we've found out about some of it, when the devs themselves don't present the gifts. I was just putting thoughts out there for whomever might think on it.

I do wish qckbeam would pop in and give us the rest of Emil Pagliarulo's journal.
    Last edited by jtr7; 20th Apr 2008 at 23:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    I figure that there would be no better place than in the hands of the founders of TTLG. Their work here and in the Thief community make them the ideal candidates. Whatever we may (if we're so lucky) obtain would belong to the community, and the community heads are thus best suited to be the guardians.
    Seconded.

But atoms are different from bits. It would need some kind of formal organization, methinks.

--
    L.

If anyone knew of a current, working email address for Dan Thron or another possible guardian of that artwork I'd be happy to give it a shot.

Do a search for Thief or TDP IP's. If it wasn't destroyed/auctioned off/just thrown out, it's probably going to be a worn out T shirt or a promo poster hidden away in someone's attic.

As far as I know, Eidos allowed ISA to take over the franchise (and probably all physical properties), so that might be a better place to start looking, unless you want to track down all the former LGS employees.

BTW, a little off topic, but since we're on the discussion of old Looking Glass stuff, wasn't there a thread (a loooong time ago, like 2000 or 2001) about someone from TTLG breaking into LGS and stealing all the valuables, ie, the artwork we're trying to track down?

If Eidos are the legal holders of the property, then nothing can happen without their consent. Therefore I think our first contact should be with them. I'll begin searching for some logical and useful email addresses.

Also, Im glad you are willing to help DN. Your name will give us legitimacy. We couldnt very well do something on behalf of the community without the biggest names. I just hope we can find someone at Eidos who knows a thing or two about Thief.

Ok, the most basic level of searching is of course Eidos' corporate website. The contact sections yields a few addresses. None seem to really relate to what we want to do. The closest are Product Acquisitions (In the sense of someone wanting Eidos to publish a game) and General Inquires.

http://corporate.sci.co.uk/Contact_us/contact.aspx

This is for the parent company based out of England. Eidos Interactive is the US branch and is headed by William Gardner.

http://www.glgroup.com/Council-Membe...er-211124.html

I might be aiming too high in looking for his email address. I'll continue to look while expanding for other people inside Eidos Interactive.

I seem to recall seeing recent posts in CommChat in the Eidos forums by people who claimed to be current or past employees, but have no recollection of who they were - you'd have to search. But they might be able to give you some names or email addresses or at least point you to the right department.

You might go over to Eidos and PM Peter Smith, who's a moderator (and also active here). He might be able to tell you names of some Eidos forum members who are current employees.

You know, I was considering just calling them on Monday. I havnt decided what I would say exactly, but would probably just start at a basic level; simply telling them that I represent a group interested in the status of some intellectual property controlled by Eidos and am trying to get in touch with someone who is in a position to talk about it. Until I have a better contact, I wouldnt get into the details. The shortest route is always the most direct, right? What do you think?

I remember Peter Smith too from my days over there. (Now that was a while ago! I silently participated there before joining here. This would have been when Thief Gold came out and I first got into Thief) I'll PM him on Monday as well.

I know Peter very well, he tests and/or we collaborate on most of my FMs. I'll be happy to go ahead and shoot him an email if you like.

Sure, Yandros. That would be awesome! The more friends we have, the better. Given you already have a relationship with him, so much the better. I'll call Eidos on Monday and very carefully see what I can learn, unless there are any objections...

jtr7
    @Specter: If you have a plan and some talking points scribbled on a notepad, I have no objection.

@Yandros: You certainly don't need our permission, Russ! Hahaa! Go for it, please.

Any insight into the EIDOS machine could come in handy. Connections, connections, connections. It would be a shame if any of this stuff is just sitting around with no plans for sharing. It would be tragic, but final, if there wasn't anything, which I think is better (gulp) than a wasted existence.

Yeah, there's a sad joke, there.

Update

Peter has suggested I PM someone at Eidos, someone I actually recently PM'd and didn't realize he's an employee at the time. However, Peter just contacted him about something similar today, so to avoid bombarding the guy with another similar request I'll wait a couple of days.

Peter also suggested someone else in the community over at Eidos who may know of some employee members over there, or who may have contacts in the company outside the forum. I'll go ahead and email him with the request.

jtr7
    Thank you for this, guys. No matter the outcome.

Sounds great, guys. I will make that phone call on Monday and see if I cant get some name/numbers and maybe have a real conversation with someone.

Just wanted to let you guys know that my Monday/Tuesday turned out to be ridiculously busy and that I'll make the call tomorrow. Scout's honor! Sorry about that.