TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any first timers? (BUT THE CONTEST IS OPEN TO EVERYONE)

Any first timers? (BUT THE CONTEST IS OPEN TO EVERYONE)

THIS CONTEST IS OPEN TO EVERYONE

Hey I'm trying to get a contest going, so if anyone who has ever thought of making a mission maybe now is the time. Also, if you've made missions before but haven't checked out the Editors' Guild for a while because you're not building right now, maybe a small mission would be good for you too. Check out the thread at the Editors' Guild now for details. It would be nice to get some new blood for the contest. I hope we get enough interested people to participate to make this contest happen.

The thread is here discussing the contest rules, etc.

for you first timers...

I've taken a few excerpts from the Thief2 handbook and written a few observations about how they may translate into game design. Nothing earth shattering, but a few fundamental thoughts on mission design to sync up with the intentions of the original game designers.
    Hope it helps a little. Get it here.

The Prize Structure
    The votes will make five prize categories:

1)First place: Entry with the most votes.

2)Second place: Entry with the second greatest number of votes.

3)Third place: Entry with the third greatest number of votes.

TWO SPECIAL PRIZE CATEGORIES

4) BUILDERS' CHOICE AWARD: The most votes received for a mission by voters who have previously released FM's. YOU voters, indicate that you are a builder come voting time for this one.

5)NEW BUILDER AWARD: The most votes received for a mission by a contestant who has never previously released a demo or FM.

THE PRIZES
    I will be removing most of these from their bloated packaging before shipping

If you want to choose one of the hard drives if you win, I'll take a very closeup picture of the power plug so you can make sure you can get such a transformer for your country.

Remember, if you're particating, you have to let me know, and also it's important that you are following the "Tossing around a contest idea" thread in the Editors' Guild for updates and clarifications on the rules!

ENTER AND HAVE FUN!
    Last edited by uncadonego; 11th May 2008 at 18:23.

If I was 10 years younger I definitely would have signed up and given it a shot. I was into editing when the Doom games were released, but unfortunately it faded away. Nowadays spare time comes and goes (mostly the latter I'm afraid), but is far too unreliable to Dromedit.

I admire anyone who consider it though, and a lot of good missions (and authors) have come from the various contests.

You all have my best of luck!!
    Klatremus' Supreme Thief Site - Walkthroughs, Loot Lists & Ghost Reports
    Let's Supreme Ghost Thief - YouTube Channel with Thief Let's Plays

Sounds like a great idea. Despite the grand FMs of years gone by, it's the contest missions that really stir the Dromed pot. Speaking of which, who knows what the latest version of the venerable beast is? My own attempts always sputter out before completion, but I love tinkering anyway.

I've only been using Dromed for a few months but what the heck. Sign me up.

Sign me up!

Link? I know I want to join!

FW:FW:FW: SO TRUE!!!
    I have wanted to do some FM's for years, but too many things get in the way. And at the moment, I'm up to my ass in alligators with the Nashville Star contest, performing and hosting Open Mike music nights.

Words can't describe my frustration. But I'll just read through KOMAG's tutorials, and the various Editor assistance info at the Guild... AGAIN!

And hope I finally get a chance to start. I've a couple of halfway decent scripts written that I might get a chance to DROM.

But thanks for asking.

I wrote a post reply on the Editors Guild link.
    This was it:

I like the idea a lot, but I'm just starting off with Komags tutorial.
    Nightshifter has taught me the basic of how to start ... but I'm not sure I can do it. What if I sign up and am nt able to finish?

I would have to make this a T2 mission, since I can't play the T1 or TG ones. Nightshifter also couldn't get it going on my computer. We both don't know the real problem.

I'd prefer a 10 months building time, as was suggested at first. I guess I'll need my time here ...
    It would make a nice Christmas present for all Taffers
    Is Dewdrop a original OM item ??? I forgot. I really would like to use her

These are my questions so far.
    I'm a bit excited now, but also afraid I'm going to screw up things.
    Well, better tried once than never

This will be my first time here on the Editors forum. Who knows how much more I get to linger here ... hahaha

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

C'Mon Blackman, C'mon Gloria -- I'd love to see you two at least give it a go! I'm working on 2 missions myself, but I might sign up for it and put my own mission on hold for a bit. Going to check it out now ...

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Given the very nice prizes, I'm tempted to enter, but I swore off contest participation after WLB, and I just can't afford to lose any more time on my other missions, some of which have been delayed for years now.

The special prize for newbies sounds great, Don.

Uncadonego, I sent you two e-mails. The first one bounced... Maybe you didn't get the other one?

I'm at (ttlg name) at yahoo

Quote Originally Posted by redleaf View Post
    C'Mon Blackman, C'mon Gloria -- I'd love to see you two at least give it a go! I'm working on 2 missions myself, but I might sign up for it and put my own mission on hold for a bit. Going to check it out now ...
    hey redleaf...do I have to remind you that one of the missions you ae working on is in fact a very belated entry of a previous contest...

Hoi Nightshifter!

I'm well aware of all my weaknesses and faults and intend to fully enjoy life to the fullest in spite of them (or perhaps because of them?)! AND, it seems to me the biggest hangup to completing that little Hammer mission is due to spending oodles of hours creating custom textures for a certain taffer's sequel fm ...

Now, get back to your job, you shiftless taffer!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Make sure you didn't miss what may be nine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavexgoem View Post
    Uncadonego, I sent you two e-mails. The first one bounced... Maybe you didn't get the other one?

I'm at (ttlg name) at yahoo

Hopefully my email has gone through

Jeezum Beezum -- how did I miss that? Prizes? Wow. I only entered in the spirit of "joining in" and having some fun. If I win, I triple-red-hosey the "Bragging Rights!"

C'mon in Gloria -- the water's fine! And there's a special prize for first-timers!

I thought I already ws in?!

OK. I'm IN!
    I hope I can do this. I've got a very good teacher, so I guess it's just a matter of making time and the right choices.

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............

That's the spirit, Gloria!

You gave it to me, Redleaf!
    See you this summer, I hope

Gloria Creep

Ill treat the winner with some craft dinner! If they want to take a trip to Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    I may make a couple of home made iron-on transfer t-shirts with Dromed grids on it, and underneath it will say "I BUILD WORLDS....DO YOU?" or something like that (in your language of course).
    That's realy good idea. I think winning such a t-shirt will be valuable prize for many of contestants. No sarcasm or something here, I realy think that having something like that can be fun
    But if I decide to participate in the contest and somehow my entry prove to be worth a t-shirt I can say that I prefere the text in English rather than my own language

Prizes in this contest are very encouraging, I think there won't be a problem of finding enough contestants to start it now, after you wrote so much about goodies
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Southquarter.com/fms
    For the crap contest, we used the Evil Dromed shirt available through the TTLGear store. Always loved the "Assertion Error" dialog box on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by uncadonego View Post
    Do you think Eidos would get on my butt (personally, I don't think they would) if the certificates had an image of Garrett on them?
    Well, I guess they can, but why should they? You're not selling the stuff and doing a free public relation campaign for them.

To avoid this issue, how about using a fanart instead?

Great Idea

Hey Don:

Nice prises. Can I get in? I have only done 4 missions. Besides that, I am a newbie!

Seriously, I applaud you for this terrific idea. I love FM's from newbie contests. THey are usually fun, not that big so you can finish them in one sitting and it invites new authors. We can never have too many authors.

For anyone who is considering doing a first mission, I will tell you I did not think I could do it originally (an old accountant with no technical skills). I got so much encouragement and help from people on this forum that I am now working on my fifth mission. On my last mission I was terribly stuck on a conversation and Yandros took a look at it for me. You will get all the help you need.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing these mission. Good luck to all.

BBB

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Just to clarify, the contest is open to anyone, not just newbies. Don's just trying to encourage newbies to enter, and it looks like he has quite a few, which is awesome!