TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Announcing a new Thief 2 contest : The Historical Contest

Announcing a new Thief 2 contest : The Historical Contest

Hello fellow Taffers !

The French Thief forum members are hosting a new Thief 2 Contest : The Historical Contest.

Every one can join the party, it's friendly, it's open to everybody. The contest is somewhat challenging though but we think it's a way to have fun one more time with new kinds of FMs.

We are waiting for you to participate !

Basically, you have 5 and a half months to create and send your FM from... now.

Specific Rules and details are here : http://ariane.contest.free.fr/(English)
    http://ariane.contest.free.fr/index-fr.html (French)

Voting form will be available when the FMs will be ready, so stay tuned !

Hope to see you and play your FM !

Good Luck !

Nice timing...

People should be able to enter both contests with the same mission then

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    this came out of the french thief forums, so was developed independent of the other contest being discussed here. i'm a bit unsure about the "style" requirements, it wants you to build either a modern or old mission without anachronisms. but thief is a steam punk game built around anachronism.

Vertical Contest Winner 2009
    i think the ancient would be easier, avoid the entire gizmo archetype, and avoid all electric lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavalorn View Post
    Nice timing...
    Yes, we know it, and we are sorry for that. In fact, we gave the first idea about this contest and began to speak about the rules at the beginning of january. And we have heard about yours only some days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    this came out of the french thief forums, so was developed independent of the other contest being discussed here.
    Yes it is true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottoj55 View Post
    i'm a bit unsure about the "style" requirements, it wants you to build either a modern or old mission without anachronisms. but thief is a steam punk game built around anachronism.
    This is the main challenge of this contest. Making a "non steampunk" mission. One of the names which were proposed for the contest was : "The non steampunk contest".

Quote Originally Posted by louve View Post
    This is the main challenge of this contest. Making a "non steampunk" mission. One of the names which were proposed for the contest was : "The non steampunk contest".
    Quote Originally Posted by ariane.contest.free.fr
    If you choose The Modern Style, you cannot use :
    (...)
    Torches and candles
    In non steampunk modern world there are still churches and some other places which uses not so modern candles
    Magic objects and characters are allowed but not candles...

Anyway: I think this contest have very high requirements in architectural matter, and also the non-steampunk requirement may attract different authors than the "classic thief experience contest". But off course the timing isn't perfect for authors who would participate in both contests...
    "Reliance upon others is weakness for the strong, but strength for the weak. Wisdom and balance lie in knowing your own nature over time"
    The Box, WL

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_in_the_shell View Post
    In non steampunk modern world there are still churches and some other places which uses not so modern candles
    Magic objects and characters are allowed but not candles... :rolleyes
    I guess putting only one candle in a modern mission isn't forbidden. Don't take the objects limitation too literally. The objective is to make a mission about the Period of your choice (and not only a "modern" or "ancient" mission) such as middle age, antiquity, industrial revolution, etc..., so just think rationnaly whenever you want to add a new object/textures .
    Quote Originally Posted by ariane.contest.free.fr
    You can use magic objects and characters in both styles as long as it fits the style atmosphere.
    This doesn't allow the "Garrett the fairy in wonderland" type of mission. We said on the french forum that magic should not be a part of the main plot, but it's just an advice.

Does the lack of answers here means nobody is interested in this contest ????
    I hope not...

Well,I don't know...the announcement came in a very bad time I fear

Actually, this is a very interesting premise for a contest -- I even have a story and environment that would suit it perfectly ... but, alas, like many other builders, I already committed to the Classic Thief Experience contest which was announced just previous to this one. That contest has been under discussion in this forum for a while. Your announcement came out of the blue for us, I'm afraid. And I'm working on 2 other mission besides! Still, it is a tempting morsel ...

Do you have enough entrants from the French quarter to go ahead with the contest even without any from the U.S.? I hope so .. this idea holds much promise for interesting missions to come out of it!

would it be actually allowed for a person to submit the same mission for both contests? it should be possible to create a mission that satisfies both criteria.

is it? Seems to me the contests are almost polar opposite in theme - one trying to stick as close to original Thief as possible, the other set in the real world. You'd surely have to make some adjustments to any mission submitted to both.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    is it? Seems to me the contests are almost polar opposite in theme - one trying to stick as close to original Thief as possible, the other set in the real world. You'd surely have to make some adjustments to any mission submitted to both.
    It doesn't seem impossible though. Any OM without trickster/zombies can be adapted into a realistic environment (changing the hammerites and mechanist into some sort of sects or extremists religious groups ). For example, Bafford and Assassins are rather simple to adapt into a medieval style. The same goes for Running interference.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I'm guessing without access to custom materials, you wouldn't stand much of a chance of winning though.

Do you have enough entrants from the French quarter to go ahead with the contest even without any from the U.S.?
    Well, we have 3 (french) contestants, a few more would be welcome.

would it be actually allowed for a person to submit the same mission for both contests?
    I guess nobody is against that, so if you manage to satisfy both criteria it's OK.

If someone makes a mission to submit by the deadline, can he just submit it? Or must the contestant state his intention before doing so?

If someone makes a mission to submit by the deadline, can he just submit it? Or must the contestant state his intention before doing so?
    You don't have to say it, the rules are simple:
    Write an e-mail including :
    - the download link to your FM
    - Its title
    - Your name or usual nickname
    Send this e-mail to this address ariane.contest@free.fr before September, 1st 2008.
    But if you want to know how many people are in before the deadline, it would be nice that the contestants send an e-mail to say they'll make a mission (but you can also make a surprise if you wish ).

Hey, one can only try -- you never know. I think surprises are nice to get once in a while ... There might be a few taffers out there who'd like to try and do this by the deadline, but don't want to make an announcement about it. If you announce it, then you feel all let down if you can't make it in time. Anyway, I'll be tracking this contest because I think it's

Sorry to bring up a dead topic - but I did some searching and couldnt find anything.. were the missions for this contest ever released? And if so, where can they be downloaded to play?

Pretty sure this got cancelled I'm afraid.

The Architect
    Whenever I see Historical Contest mentioned I always imagine that it was about setting an FM in a real-world location that the FM author researched and reproduced as accurately as possible. But that's not what this was about. Ah, well.

Quote Originally Posted by nicked View Post
    Pretty sure this got cancelled I'm afraid.
    Fair enough, thanks for the quick response.

And I agree Digital Nightfall, thats kinda what I was hoping for with this contest - I may have gotten the wrong idea.