TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CLASSIC THIEF EXPERIENCE CONTEST

CLASSIC THIEF EXPERIENCE CONTEST

There is a new contest starting. This is notice to everyone who has signed up for the contest and all who wish to participate. There has been plenty of discussion on both the Editors' Guild forum and on this forum about it for the last little while.

A small zip file will become available sometime tomorrow morning (March 17) after 8:00 a.m. but before noon, my time (check the post time of this against your time to check your time difference). I'll come back here and make a link to it tomorrow.

The zip will contain a small note from me to participants, a list of simple rules, and a .mis starter file with the available building area.

DIGI, could you post a link to this thread at The Circle?

RULES HERE

AND READ THIS THREAD FOR SURE
    Last edited by uncadonego; 6th May 2008 at 16:54.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Great to see this happening, Don. And in case you missed it, as luck would have it, the French Thief community announced their own contest today too. Hopefully running two at the same time won't make either or both of the contests fail for lack of contestants.

I'm trying to convince my teenage son to enter one or the other, but he's afraid to try.

I'm getting nervous now

Gloria Creep
    There're angels who playThief and angels who don't ........ both go to heaven ............
    Dare to join .............

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Oh Gloria, don't be! I can't wait to play your mission!

The banned user, not the game
    good luck to all the people making missions

i am glad dewdrop is part of classic thief :P
    User was banned by Digital Nightfall on 8-4-2008

so what entails the CLASSIC THIEF EXPERIENCE CONTEST?

Isn't this area a bit too small?I've been thinking for some days about what mission I should make,but there is no way that I could fit it into this
    space...
    Last edited by Cavalorn; 17th Mar 2008 at 13:30.

Back up a bit. You're probably looking at a room I put at 0,0,0 . You don't use that. There are three touching area brushes. One is 116 X 72 X 80, another is 120 X 90 X 70, and the third is 90 X 80 X 80. That's pretty big by contest standards. I wanted to make it bigger, but everyone at the Editors' Guild warned me not to make it too big.

Remember, the first contest was 64 X 64 X 64, so this is mega times that.

Nope,I am looking at the 3 touching areas.Wouldn't it be better to have only 1 area brush?

are we allowed to move the area brushes around?

oh and btw, shouldn't this thread be stickied so that it doesn't keep on falling down?
    Last edited by thief0; 17th Mar 2008 at 14:24.

Hi,
    I've just downloaded the zip file, is to late to enter this contest. Haven't got a clue what i am going to do, sure something will come to me. Not very experienced with dromed, but i am up for a laugh. Do i have to contact you uncadonego, or can i go ahead and start.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by thief0 View Post
    are we allowed to move the area brushes around?
    I hope so (althought I doubt it)

I think you may be seriously underestimating what you can create in these spaces. Before I quit Dromed, I was working on making something look gritty like T1 but in T2. It all fits in an area brush 145 X 120 X 85, but without a few "vistas", the playing area fits into an area brush 105 X 125 X 45, which is only 590,625 cubes. Just one of those cubes has about this much space, and then you have two more with much more than that.

I can't even show you the whole thing, it would take too many screenshots, but just imagine, you have almost three and a half times this much space.
    Keep in mind these look bare because I never fleshed them out.

You aren't expected to completely re-create an FM, they are just too big.
    You can't move the brushes around. Everyone works around the same restriction to test aptitude and flexibility.
    Anyone can download it and start right away, but get around to letting me know so I can add you to the master list.

bikerdude

Classic ....

Classic thief lol, sorry maybe Im the only one that found that amusing..

On a serious note, I hope that the rules allow for contemporary yet classic-like textures....

biker

Southquarter.com/fms
    It might be smart to put the rules and the link to the mis zip in the original post of this thread so people can find it easier. If someone hasn't been involved in the discussion over in the Editor's Guild, they'd have no idea what's going on - sorta like "biker."

Desperately dodgy geezer
    It might not even be overkill to post the "official" rules in this thread too, since this is the official announcement thread.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    they'd have no idea what's going on - sorta like "biker."
    Er I understand, but I assume by your tone that only classic original textures are allowed not contemporary textures... And I see no one got my sense of humour either.. bah

B.

All the "techie" stuff belongs on the Editor's Guild, please so post those questions there. This thread was only intended to catch the attention of the newbies, I'm sure. It won't be stickied but they may want to stickie the one on the Editor's Guild as that's where most of the discussion will take place.

It's great to see another contest on the go. Can't wait to see what comes out of it. The other contests have produced some really interesting FMs.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    It's great to see another contest on the go. Can't wait to see what comes out of it. The other contests have produced some really interesting FMs.
    Hi Nw, I love "classic" thief missions, it really get the saliva flowing :-P

Quote Originally Posted by redleaf
    Either Redleaf got my sense of humor or he/she is laughing at me

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 18th Mar 2008 at 09:55.

The banned user, not the game
    i love classic thief alot so i look forward to these missions

and this board should be stickyed to top of page,as someone else posted
    User was banned by Digital Nightfall on 8-4-2008

Well, I've been asked by someone on here to come back and whip one up for the contest. What do ya think??

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by ganac View Post
    so what entails the CLASSIC THIEF EXPERIENCE CONTEST?
    Having a jammed Caps Lock key appears to be one of the requirements.

William the Taffer, come back and whip one up for the contest....