TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Francesco's or Oscuro's - what's your opinion?

Francesco's or Oscuro's - what's your opinion?

For those of you playing with Francesco's or Oscuro's (or both) - which do you prefer and why? I'm asking because I'm about to restart Oblivion; I was in the middle of a game until last Summer, but then something screwed up my textures, so I'm now reinstalling it, and rather than trying to catch up with where I was I thought I'd start from scratch at the same time.

10 note
    I can't say I've tried Francesco's but I've found OOO makes the game bearable.

The main reasons would be getting rid of all the auto-levelling crap and worthwhile loot.
    Last edited by steo; 14th Apr 2008 at 21:32.

You never found it too hard? One of the things that many people say is that Oscuro's is very unforgiving at the beginning - prohibitively so for some. Fran also disables the auto-levelling, or at least caps it, giving minimal and maximal levels (and, accordingly, equipment) for creatures. No more bandits in glass armour.

10 note
    True, OOO can be very hard at the start and can involve a lot of running away but that's only realistic, right? I guess it depends on your personal preference. Though I suppose they did overdo it with excessively powerful wildlife which can be a right pain sometimes. Probably best to be aware of the 'kill' console command. You could always cheat so as you start at level 8 or something if you're finding it too frustrating. It probably depends on the character you play; certainly the slow, heavy armour clad warrior is going to be stuffed by lack of speed early on.

Smart people make a fast warrior

I'd go with OOO too. I actually haven't heard much about Francesco's, so I'm only going by name. OOO has been out since nearly Oblivion's release--it has had a lot of time to get debugged and balanced.

Not using any such mods at the moment, but if you want to make Oblivion more interesting I guess you might also consider using the FCOM
    that's Francesco + WarCry + Oscuro + Martigen (aka FranOOOMMM)

FCOM provides complete unification of Mart's Monster Mod and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. It brings all of the numerous new creatures, NPCs, and items added by MMM and OOO into a consistent and balanced structure. In addition, it integrates Francesco's vast collection of new items and named NPC bosses along with new creatures and items from Oblivion WarCry.
    http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/convergence

Should spice things up a notch.
    It does however if I'm not wrong, require you to download each of the mentioned mods first.

Thanks for the suggestions. Based on more reading, I've decided to go for Fran and MMM. Yes, OOO is probably more realistic, but I find the difficulty at the beginning prohibitive, and cheating myself to level 8 or using the "kill" command mean that it'll take me longer to get back into the game - to become immersed, if you wish. It'll feel more like a game, and once I've started using cheats, I usually use them a lot more quickly afterwards as well.

I myself use Francesco. Very modular, includes level capping (which is virtually the main annoyance of the game), has slow leveling and time stretching modules. Oscuro adds too much to the game to the point where it feels like another game which is not really better than the original Oblivion. Plus Oscuro's is ostensibly more hardware-intensive than Francesco's.