TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Thief 2: Stuck with DDfix

Thief 2: Stuck with DDfix

I've scoured everything and find myself stuck trying to get Thief 2 to run (I've got an Nvidia 7950 x 2).

I've managed to install and get everything working until I start a game and then a get a black screeen after viewing my objectives. Then, I tried the Fix-Thief 2.zip download and I have replaced the original Thief 2.exe with the DDFix Thief 2.exe. Now, when I try to start the game I get a message about not having Directx 7 or higher and to please install it.

I have seen some info about hex editing (with Hex Editor Neo) with DDFixM.7z but can't seem to find anything remotely resembling what some of the posts are suggesting. I am pretty clueless when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by darrk View Post
    Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
    Hi Darrk

Its sounds like you have both the gfx driver and DirectX installation issue.

You need to download and install the forceware 169.21 driver from nvidia, then download and reinstall DirectX(the latest version is March 2008)

but keep using the ddfix version of thief as it fixes a a few other known bugs

biker

I've managed to install and get everything working until I start a game and then a get a black screeen after viewing my objectives. Then, I tried the Fix-Thief 2.zip download and I have replaced the original Thief 2.exe with the DDFix Thief 2.exe. Now, when I try to start the game I get a message about not having Directx 7 or higher and to please install it.
    It sounds like you're trying to use ddfix without actually using ddfix.

ddfix is a dll that sits in the thief directory, not a modified version of the thief exe. The only modification to the exe is to load ddfix instead of directx. If you use the modified exe without ddfix, the exe ends up looking for a dll that isn't there, hence the missing directx error.

Did that, reinstalled. I finally got movies to play without the DDFIX, but once I replaced the thief2.exe with the thief2.exe in DDFIX, I get the same error message about installing directx 7? Any advice? Is there anything I am missing.

Did that, reinstalled. I finally got movies to play without the DDFIX, but once I replaced the thief2.exe with the thief2.exe in DDFIX, I get the same error message about installing directx 7? Any advice? Is there anything I am missing.
    umm... I just answered that...

You get that error if you use a modified exe without actually having ddfix installed.

Sorry, Iposted before I saw you latest message, but I am totally lost with how exactly to use DDFIX. I've looked through all the posts and nothing seems to click for me. Can you provide a step by step process from exactly what do download from frm the site (GUI, Manual, Source)here seem to be threeand how to use the fix? I have replaced one .exe with another, and that is obviously wrong. Unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean by a dll that sits in the directory.

Update

When I downloaded the GUI file from the website and tried to open it, I get a message that says "this is the first disk in a backup set, please insert the last disk of this set." I have been trying to open it with Camunzip if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, Iposted before I saw you latest message, but I am totally lost with how exactly to use DDFIX. I've looked through all the posts and nothing seems to click for me. Can you provide a step by step process from exactly what do download from frm the site (GUI, Manual, Source)here seem to be threeand how to use the fix? I have replaced one .exe with another, and that is obviously wrong. Unfortunately, I don't understand what you mean by a dll that sits in the directory.
    Download the GUI version, extract it to your thief directory, run ddfixGUI.exe and pick your resolution. That's all you need to do. (Normally you'd click 'apply patch' too, but since you already downloaded a modified exe you don't nee to.)

When I downloaded the GUI file from the website and tried to open it, I get a message that says "this is the first disk in a backup set, please insert the last disk of this set." I have been trying to open it with Camunzip if that makes a difference.
    Never heard of camunzip before, but looking at its webpage it looks like it can only handle zip files, which is a bit pointless because windows can read/write zip files natively these days. If you're going to be downloading anything from the internet, get something that can at least handle .rar and .7z too, or you'll find you can't open half the files you download.

winzip/winrar/7-zip are the most common decompression programs. I use izarc personally, which can be a bit quirky at times but has better shell integraion than the common ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeslip View Post
    Download the GUI version, extract it to your thief directory, run ddfixGUI.exe and pick your resolution. That's all you need to do. (Normally you'd click 'apply patch' too, but since you already downloaded a modified exe you don't nee to.)
    I've always used the manual version, but for darrk's sake, does the ddfixGUI change the resolution in both the cam.cfg and ddfix.ini? I would guess so, but I'm just making sure as this seems to throw people off sometimes.

darrk: Just to be clear, after you've unzipped the files to your Thief directory, you should have the following files present:

ddfix.ini
    ddfix.dll
    ddfixGUI.exe

If all those files aren't sitting in the same directory as your Thief2.exe, then ddfix won't work.

OK thanks. I sucessfully patched, picked a resolution (changed to that resolution in the game), and have all the files in my thief 2 directory. I have movies, but when I get to the point when I start mission 1, the compass turns and then the screen freezes. It is not the black screen I had before, but I still am stuck. I guess this is progress? Is there any tweaking I can do from this point that might help?

Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your time.
    Dark drop me a Pm, I will send you a fixed thief.exe with the need files, just unzip them to your thief folder and youll be good to go.

did you reinstall the gfx driver and directx..?

biker

Just sent you a pm.

Just a thought,does having sli enabled affect anything?

Just a thought,does having sli enabled affect anything?
    Hmm i know from personal experince that Thief dosent benefit from SLi and in fact it slows it down, so for now disable it.

biker