TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emil's Journal: Final Scans

Emil's Journal: Final Scans

Hello! So I've scanned the remaining 86 pages of Emil's journal. It's available from rapidshare right now. My apologies for that; the captcha system they use is...painful.

But it's up! Here's the link. Sorry for the long, long wait. Everything is explained at the end of this thread.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, the journal is explained in this thread. I hope you all enjoy it! Thanks for putting up with me

Thanks for doing this service to the community, we appreciate it!

Hey, not to be dramatic, but this is a great day for the TTLG community. Huge thanks to Qckbeam, he da man (mainly for putting up with me)... And here are some mirrors for the journals (old and new):

Original

New

Edit: I obviously need to dig in to the journal a bit more in-depth, but I noticed in my initial quick browse, interviews notes for both Sledge and null. You know that has to be interesting...
    Last edited by Brethren; 9th May 2008 at 14:57.

Happy!

Downloading right now.
    Thank you very much.

Great, thank you very much, qckbeam!

edit: There are some very interesting parts in it, enjoyed the reading, thanks again!
    Last edited by snowcap21; 10th May 2008 at 15:11.

Well done, qckbeam!

Thanks Qckbeam! The community can finally sleep soundly!

It's a bit like a spider crawled across a page - really hard to read. Job interviews or similar I think - writing about somebody - he says, 'I think he's wrong about some stuff - right about some stuff. Definitely right about the ****** up economy'. Love it!!

Thank you qckbeam - fascinating read.

Many thanks!

Bravo and many thanks, qckbeam!

.j.

Qckbeam, thanks so much mate!

Keeper of FMs

A fascinating read Qckbeam. Thanks!!

Downloading now. Thanks!

Haven't read it all yet, but very interesting. It's a glimpse inside the minds of those who created TDS. I'm sure they were very different people after their 4 to 5 years at Ion Storm.

Man it's too bad that I haven't been able to read much of any of the portions of the journal you have released over the years qckbeam. Can anybody out here seriously comprehend this?

If the journal is interesting enough, then I think a rewrite project would be cool.

Yeah, reading the journal can be tough. I tried to keep the scans high-res without creating a massive .pdf file; I did have to downsize them a little.

I'll help out with any rewrite project, if that's something you guys are interested in. Sometimes it's easier to read directly from the page, and I have the high-res scans on a CD; I can zoom in close on Emil's handwriting without the image going blurry on me. I'm not sure how helpful that would be, but it's there.

Yes, maybe a rewrite project would be nice and helpful for those with problems reading Emil's handwriting. Didn't someone start one years ago, I remember some discussion?

I'd try to help, although I'm afraid I wont have the time to do much of the transcription work myself. But I can read most of it without problems.

If you have problems try and make a list of letters for reference (like his "G" for example, there I had to look for an easily to guess word "Guards" to decipher it).

Edumacated
    wow! thanks for finally coming through qckbeam...was of the assumption that the entire journal was a scam and that reading it was a waste of time...thanks for proving me wrong!

Not sure how possible it would be...but, is there any way the journal could be shipped from ttlg user to ttlg user so that everyone would get a first hand glimpse? I know it's a lot to ask, and there's always the possibility of someone keeping it, but it would be cool as hell. Cheers

Tim
    ThiefFm Editor, Producer, and Designer of The Bluecoat's Training Facility. Sequal Fm, -> The Eye's Betrayal. 36% complete ==> CANCELLED.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief13x View Post
    I know it's a lot to ask, and there's always the possibility of someone keeping it, but it would be cool as hell. Cheers

Tim
    lol I wouldn't count on that happening.

I've had a lot of fun skimming through the journal now, and I didn't really find the resolution a problem. Some transcribers might find a little bit of zooming helpful, but that's it IMO.

So let's try and get some transcription done. What was the status of the previous project? Completed?

Quote Originally Posted by Thief13x View Post
    I know it's a lot to ask, and there's always the possibility of someone keeping it, but it would be cool as hell. Cheers
    Let the atoms lie where qckbeam would decide. We're interested in the bits. As such, the CD with the high-res files may be uploaded, shared, duplicated, torrented or whatnot.

Keeping the high-res scan files in a safe place (not necessarily on only one physical medium) seems like a good idea.

Besides, remember the TTLGnome Project. It should be tactile enough for a "first hand glimpse".

--
    Larris

Edumacated
    hey what ever happened to the knome project? from the look of the map it didn't make it to most of ttlg

Transcribed journal (part two):

ftp://djriff.homeftp.net/library/dev...l_final_en.pdf

Check it for errors and then I'll combine it with the first part.
    Last edited by DJ Riff; 10th Jan 2009 at 02:26.

That's excellent, DJ Riff. I had no idea you could embed notes in a .pdf like that. It's much cleaner than what I was doing.

I haven't checked everything, but most of your notes were right on. It's probably safe to go ahead and merge the two.

Hey qckbeam,

Thanks for coming back and posting the remainder. It's super-cool of you to do that!

Quote Originally Posted by qckbeam View Post
    That's excellent, DJ Riff. I had no idea you could embed notes in a .pdf like that. It's much cleaner than what I was doing.
    Yes, and you can mark-up pdf's with inline text and simple drawings (including existing pdf's) - for free with:

PDF-XCHANGE VIEWER

I use it to "form fill" and other stuff on PDF's from my scanner.

Martek