TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Good & Evil 2 announced!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaBeast
    The average gamer seems to want tits, blood and explosions in roughly that order.
    I guess from now on, any game I make has to have bloody, exploding breasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    The graphics and art direction were superb. Anyone put off by them is deranged, IMHO.
    Anyone who is put off by people having different tastes is not getting great mileage out of their brain, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    I guess from now on, any game I make has to have bloody, exploding breasts.
    Actually, I was thinking a game which is somehow PMS related would satisfy all three of those criteria.

PMS isn't bleeding you idiot...

On the topic of Beyond Good and Evil, I though it was good, but not for the reasons that everyone harped on about. The supposedly mindblowing storyline simply wasn't, and the characters were okay, if a little bit on the shallow side. That said, the game oozed character, and the photography mechanism was very nice. The level design was what really impressed me in this game, all the "dungeons" of the game (for want of a better word) were thoroughly polished in this respect.

That said, I do look forward to a sequel.

Now it's announced, and here's some pics and a trailer.

Hehe what's a pig cop doing there?

It looks lovely.

I'm worried. It doesn't look cartooney. I mean, it is a cartoon, but it's drawn in a "realistic" way. It looks like an intro for a Japanese RPG. Pey'J is all sweaty and hairy, and so on. The hovercar is shiny. Ever noticed how traditional cartoons are always matte with sharp contours? This teaser is shiny with photographic detail.

The first part looked cartooney. I have a theory it sold worse because of that. It looked like a fairy tale, which it wasn't, so all the almost adult boys who normally buy the bulk of a game's copies were too afraid of being called childish to try this one.

So if the second part isn't going to look cartooney, then it could mean they're going to ditch everything that "didn't sell". Which probably means everything I actually liked in that game.

Not that this is of much importance to me. It says "X360", and it does say "PS3". But it doesn't say "PC". I'm not going to spend five hundred bucks on a piece of hardware I only need for a single game. Even if it's BGnE2.

Quote Originally Posted by Zillameth View Post
    Not that this is of much importance to me. It says "X360", and it does say "PS3". But it doesn't say "PC". I'm not going to spend five hundred bucks on a piece of hardware I only need for a single game. Even if it's BGnE2.
    Methinks this is the real reason behind your bitching.

Yes, going for a next-gen look is smart in that it turn more heads than not. Unless it's developed by Naughty Dog or Insomniac Games these days, games with a cartoonish look don't sell so well (Psychonauts, BG&E). If the worst case scenario that you're already predicting does come true, and they essentially turn it into GTA with the BG&E license (a-la Jak II), yeah, I'll be miffed, but it's way too fucking early to tell right now. God, there's no way this game can be worse than Jak II....

Anyhow, great news, and I did enjoy the look of the trailer. Almost reminded me of Full Throttle.

trailer is very tease, has a good atmosphere and the artstyle is top notch.
    just seeing jade meditating on the hood under the umbrella gives me goosebumps ! I hope for a timely PC port or even a paralell release !!!

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...10709&Itemid=2

Ubisoft plans to make the sequel to Beyond Good & Evil more "accessible" than its predecessor, in order to avoid the commercial shortcomings endured by the original.

2003's Beyond Good & Evil garnered strong critical reception and found a loyal fanbase made up of core gamers, but it didn't exactly light up the sales charts.

Ubisoft chief exec Yves Guillemot told Next-Gen at its Ubidays event in Paris that this time around, the company will try to leave little to chance.

“We saw with Beyond Good & Evil that so many customers were extremely happy with the game,” said Guillemot. “We had a different audience at that time. We had more core gamers than casual gamers than we have today.

"We think the game was probably a little too difficult for the general gamers at that time. We’re going to make it more accessible and make sure that it’s really done for the new generation that’s come into videogames.”

Ubisoft announced the sequel to Beyond Good & Evil this week by offering up a trailer. No solid game details have been revealed, although we know it's being designed by Michel Ancel, the brains behind the original.

A release date has yet to be determined.

The original revolved around a photographer named Jade who finds herself knee-deep in conspiracy on planet Hillys.

I'm sorry but to say that the origional was too difficult is ridiculous, I thought it was fun, but it was quite an easy game...

omg. well, i say he's a suit and doesn't know shit. It was accessible and easy. i mean there were no button-sequences to remember apart from the LAST bossfight, everything else was like in any other 3rd person game with a little "action". well, maybe they are gonna remove the "Jump" button, next generations don't understand what jumping is.....

i don't care, I only played it because a friend showed it to me. If I would have seen it on a shelf I would have never bought it because it screamed kids game lacking any brains. which it was (but only the first part). everything else was lovable, intelligent and entertaining.

well as long as the story is as good as the old one I can live with "casual" gameplay.

is Best Pony
    The airboat racing was fucking impossible.

i fail at controller and did it in 3 tries.....

wait, so you mean the first part, apart from somewhat childish graphics, wasn't casual enough???

holy...

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    well, maybe they are gonna remove the "Jump" button, next generations don't understand what jumping is.....
    There was no jump button it was automated like in zelda, like pretty much every other action in the game. I really don't see how they could make it more easy and accessible than the first one. Anyway let's hope this one lasts more than 7 hours...

is Best Pony
    Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    i fail at controller and did it in 3 tries.....
    Good for you. I didn't.

maybe that's a compensation for you:
    Psychonauts: Meat Circus: 2 days of constant head-butting my desktop in rage

BG&E had some tricky parts but somehow it always worked out for me without much learning and retrying. not so in psychonauts.....

Quote Originally Posted by foldy View Post
    Methinks this is the real reason behind your bitching.
    Actually, I only added that remark at the last minute, because I noticed platform tags when I accessed the trailer second time to see if there were actual reflections on the car or just some specular. But I don't suppose you're going to believe me. I can afford a console, I just don't see the point.

Oh, and I said "I'm worried", not "I know it's going to suck". But that was probably too much of a subtlety.
    Last edited by Zillameth; 30th May 2008 at 17:42.

I actually think that when it's done well, like in Ocarina of time, the automated jumping thing is quite good.

Can someone please tell me what was so good about the story in the origional game, cause I'm just not seeing it.

Mister Science
    Pretty standard story, but well presented with truly adorable characters, Jade is so cute and expressive. BG&E is the gameplay of Zelda with the charm of Grim Fandango.

BG&E had some intangible quality that brought back how I used to feel playing the NES as a kid.

IMO no single component was really that extraordinary, but the sum was somehow much greater than the parts.

Here's to another bit of good news on the gaming front.

This is good news. The original game was very good looking and ran well enough on my modest system... then a few years later when I wanted to play it again, it wouldn't run. That aside, this was a very well made and (at the time) fiscally unappreciated game. Now it is a massively over-appreciated game seen through the lens of modern-day game boredom and nostalgia.

Still, looking forward to this very much..

As far as the cliffhanger ending goes, there have been far steeper ones. IIRC, resolution and happiness abounds until literally the last two seconds, then POP! The tease felt very tacked on and the game could have done fine without it. If anything, it should have included some tie-in as to Jade's origins and her relationship with the evil end boss if they wanted the tease to be more substantial. It felt more like a last-ditch effort to drum up demand for a sequel than anything else.

The ending to Anachronox was far more maddening, and I'd pass up ten BGnE's to get an AnoxII. They're jumping directly into another universe, for chrissakes. I see Anox and BGnE as somewhat parallel since I played them around the same time, had the same affection for their characters, and they are both unsung gems that leave the player wanting more, far more, at the end.

Still, looking very much forward to this game, more than the next Far Cry-ish eye candy tech demo or Mario game.

Quote Originally Posted by ercles View Post
    I actually think that when it's done well, like in Ocarina of time, the automated jumping thing is quite good.

Can someone please tell me what was so good about the story in the origional game, cause I'm just not seeing it.
    this game features an pig-sidekick character that gets abducted in the middle of the game. when this moment happened I jumped up from my seat and cried out loud : "THEY STOLE MY PIG !!!!" only to feverishly complete the next levels to RESCUE MY PIG FRIEND. Additionaly I can whack foes with my kendo stick, my friends are multiethnic and a photo camera is the most awesome piece of equipment you've ever gotten. that was enough for me.
    ah, and jade has green lips...........now that's cool