TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Good & Evil 2 announced!!!

As Fragony said, it wasn't so much a question of story but of charm. The characters and writing are all pretty one-dimensional (two dimensions at best), but they pull it off with style. I'd also prefer Anachronox 2, but that's very unlikely to happen. More so, I'd say, than BG&E2.

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    this game features an pig-sidekick character that gets abducted in the middle of the game. when this moment happened I jumped up from my seat and cried out loud : "THEY STOLE MY PIG !!!!" only to feverishly complete the next levels to RESCUE MY PIG FRIEND. Additionaly I can whack foes with my kendo stick, my friends are multiethnic and a photo camera is the most awesome piece of equipment you've ever gotten. that was enough for me.
    ah, and jade has green lips...........now that's cool
    Yes I actually have played the games thanks.

Sorry it seems like I mistakenly went into this game thinking the story would be grounbreaking, which it wasn't. I completely agree on the charm front, it reminded me a lot of games made by Rare in this respect, the conviction with which this game was pulled off was very impressive

Yes, I think that most of the people who praised the 'story' were really praising the characters and the level of emotional involvement that the game evoked from them, in connection with some kind of story that wasn't (in the context of all game stories) completely rubbish.

If you take all of that charm and attribute it to 'story', then obviously the story was great!

If you separate them out, then the story was shallow and predictable (albeit still no worse than the average game, and most probably a few shades better), but the game is still a joy to play.

Here's hoping that they can polish the sequel to the same degree as the original, because the original was quite masterfully constructed, IMHO.

edit: it's also worth stating that the only people who stood to be seriously disappointed by the game's story were those who were specifically expecting it to be something much more than it was, and I think that expectation would be solely attributable to reviewers, rather than the developers or publisher. So while the story is shallow, that's just a fact, and not really a criticism.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 6th Jun 2008 at 07:22.

now and then comes a movie or game that uses the same old, same old but wraps it up in such a superior and orginal way that it feels fresh again. while the overall plot was predictable and nothing THAT new the characters, voice work, art and pacing/structure of the game was amazing. it was just...right.
    like a good genre movie where you already know all the parts by heart from previous movies but still this one does make the sum of them seem better than the rest.

If that's actual gameplay footage it looks absolutely awful. Like a long series of QTE. It seems more like a cutscene to me, or a trailer or whatever. And as such it looks pretty damn good however.

Am I missing something, or is there nothing in that footage that looks like a QTE?

Well it's obviously not a sequence where you actually have direct control over the character. It just moves way too fast, the camera movements would make it impossible to control and the animations are just way too detailed. It's clearly entirely scripted. So it's either a simple in-game cutscene or it's a QTE sequence and they just hid the interface. My bet is it's just a teaser to give us an idea of what the gameplay might be like.

It could be completely pre-rendered too, perhaps some kind of vertical slice or target render. I think the key thing regardless is that there's something missing - apart from the main character herself there isn't really anything at all that identifies the footage as something that could be BG&E, be it the surrounding characters or the environment or general style.

That doesn't seem to me to be BG&E2, and by god I hope it's not.

The sound effects of the heroine's voice were definitely taken directly from the first game though.

Quote Originally Posted by Manwe View Post
    Well it's obviously not a sequence where you actually have direct control over the character.
    Its looks pretty much like an exact cross between Mirror's Edge, Assassin's Creed, and Prince of Persia. I personally don't think it's gameplay footage, but I wouldn't be overly surprised if it were either. There's definitely nothing there that would make me believe it's a QTE, and if it's pre-rendered, I'd assume it's meant to be an estimation of what gameplay would be like.

Chakat sex pillow
    It looks more like a target render or cutscene. The graphics are a little too clean and smoothly executed to be actual gameplay.

What I'm more intrigued about is that it looks like that town is in India/Nepal or at least somewhere nearby. There was a flash of a woman in a red saree, and that helicopter's rotors sported the tricolour.

Which is extremely bizarre given that BG&E was a fantasy game set on a completely different planet. With talking animal men. This looks more like Call of Gritty: Jade Infiltrator, or something. (Yes, I know how that can be read, and no, don't go there.)

Where the fuck's the FANTASYYYYYY

guess we'll have to wait and see if this is for real

I concur, the style of that video is not in keeping with that of BG&E and it would be disappointing to see it lose the cartoony fantasy style of the original. Not that there's anything wrong with the style of that video; quite the contrary in fact. It's just that it seems like a completely different game, albeit featuring what looks unmistakably like Jade.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Youtube video (if your comp, like mine, is too crappy to run the Joystiq vid at anything more than 2 frames per second)

Maaayyybeee, OK MAYBE on the way back from Hilly's moon after the ending of BG&E1 their spaceship gets sucked into a black hole and they come out in the Sol system. Running out of fuel they have to crashland on the nearest possible planet which just happens to be... dun dun dun... EARTH.

You see how freak out Jade gets when she sees the cow? Everything is wierd and alien to her here. Makes total sense.

Actually I don't really care how they explain it as long as they get the actual gameplay to be as much fun as that video looks.

bge1 had numerous chase scenes, this looks more like a cutscene or qte with hidden hud. but I think it is jade, she has a stick, the same baggy pants with pouch for her pda and some kind of helicopter for her to travel (since there is no sea in this location) makes sense, too. as long as the story/characters and setpieces are as memorable as the first game, I don't care that much how they will handle the controls.

the BGAE's "fantasy talking animal style" was shallow as fuck, I'd gladly trade it for something that's actually meaningful.

Also, who said you can't have fantasy and talking animals in a desert? Honestly, stop being so reactionary guys.

Chakat sex pillow
    I dunno Yakoob, as one would say, ça dépend.

The style may have been shallow, but I liked the original game for its warmth and charm, if not overall narrative complexity. Taking it to Earth - and that almost certainly looks like Earth - just seems a pretty strange direction to go in at first glance.

I'm not saying the idea wouldn't work, and of course we know fuck-all about the story, so I'm not judging it. It's just that that video's a very strange entry point into the sequel for people who played the first game, because it bears almost no resemblance to the original BG&E whatsoever apart from Jade.
    Last edited by Sulphur; 9th May 2009 at 14:19.

The Architect
    It's been a long time since I played the original, but I don't see why this looks like it has to be on Earth. I get a pretty strong Hillus vibe (or whatever that planet was called) from that sequence. It looks like they just tried to flesh it out and detail it up, and instead of making it more alien, they made it more familiar. Sometimes it comes down to budget... you don't need to pay a concept artist to design stuff you can just take photos of in the real world.

Chakat sex pillow
    It could be Hillys, but the entire setting just smacks of 'old Indian town' - from the artists' take on a three-wheeled taxi (effectively an auto rickshaw) to the cow in the street to the general architecture. And then there's the Indian flag colours on the 'copter for some reason.

If that is, in actual fact, a town in Hillys, it's a pretty good portrayal of something you'd actually find on Earth.

The Indian flag colours don't necessarily imply Earth. In the first game the Rhinos clearly had Rastafarian colours.

Chakat sex pillow
    Fair enough, then. I shall exercise my powers of speculative restraint!

or in other words, I'm going to shut up, right about now-ish. I still want to kill Michel Ancel for keeping mum about what's been happening with the game for so long, however.

I am pretty disappointed. This is taking a charming, Zelda-GTA hybrid and turn it into a Mirror's Edge/ Assassins Creed hybrid.

So far, fuck this direction.

I just want to know the way the cliffhanger ending plays out. Poor Pig.

Yea, as I said, just because it's a desert doesn't mean it's Earth. I am pretty sure they would not arbitrarily move the whole game into our reality, that wouldn't make sense.

Maybe it is Hyllis (SP?) after something really, really bad happened...
    Or maybe a whole different part of the original world we never saw.

Or a different planet (It's not like we didn't go into space last game)

Sorry but it's simply not BG&E if it doesn't have rasta rhinos and walrus men

I loved that part...nevermind I loved the whole freaking game. My step-dad used to beg me to play it, he was enthralled by it. He just loved watching all of the neat stuff you could do, and was as hooked on the story as I was.