TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beyond Good & Evil 2 announced!!!

Wow Jade sure aged since the last game

Level 10,000 achieved
    It has been announced that Beyond Good & Evil 2 is now in pre-production, which I guess is industry-talk for "Michel Ancel is thinking about maybe making a Beyond Good & Evil 2 at some point".

Chakat sex pillow
    Cools. So the last 8 years of on and off prototyping, design, and leaked gameplay videos were just an extended preview for the next 8 years of prototyping, design, and leaked gameplay videos.

Also, tangentially, good luck with that Vivendi takeover bid, Ubi!

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Also, tangentially, good luck with that Vivendi takeover bid, Ubi!
    Nah, it looks fine:

Chakat sex pillow
    Yanno, despite that glitchiness being the most popular screenshot of Unity, I'm always impressed with the fact that the modellers created those gums and eyes and teeth correctly, down to the veins on the eyeballs, while you'd never actually be able to see those details most of the time in the game proper.

verbose douchebag
    That is very much the face when you realise an hour after you forget to take the cash from the ATM.

Level 10,000 achieved
    If, for some reason, you do not own the original Beyond Good & Evil, you can get it for free on uPlay, if you hurry up. Dunno how long it'll be up for grabs.

Though I'm guessing that's the mouse + keyboard-only original PC release? If you have a PS3/360, you'd probably be better off grabbing the HD version.

I don't actually like BG&E all that much as a game, but it's got tons of charm, and for me that makes up for everything else. It's also a kind of charm that's pretty rare in games, which is why I'm looking forward to the sequel, whenever that will happen. (Many of my favourite games aren't actually among the big hitters in terms of gameplay, but they have great personality or atmosphere.)

Tririth, me neither but does have charm and awesome boss battles. I should replay it sometime, maybe I can appreciate more nowadays.

You've reminded me of http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105351 and a bunch of games that I still need to try to play sometime...

Level 10,000 achieved

Beyond Good & Evil 2 announced!!! Again!!!

Amazing visuals alright but I'm having difficulty reconciling the feel of this sequel with that of the first game. Totally different vibe, far too many fbombs (they didn't add anything to the scenes; felt more like a desperate attempt to sound cool) and no real insight yet on how it will play.

Yeah, the swearing was really jarring, and the shift towards realistic visuals over the previous game's cartoon aesthetic doesn't sit well with me either. Apart from the name, I'm not really seeing any connection with BG&E at all.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I really don't get the swearing thing, they did that with Thief 2014 too. It's like, they want the brand name recognition to gain all the old school fans, but then they turn right around and alienate those same fans by doing things out of character for the existing IP.

Plus, I don't get all the effort put into making these detailed cinematics - do people really buy games based on these early trailers that have nothing to do with actually playing the game? Give me some game footage already.

Level 10,000 achieved
    Well, often it's also about establishing a vision of what the game should look like, for the development team, just like concept art.

But yeah, I agree, I'm gonna need to see some actual gameplay footage before I get excited about this. All we've seen of a supposed sequel since 2008 is concept art and pre-rendered trailers. We haven't heard much recently about "Wild", Ancel's other in-development game, either. I'm kinda wondering if the dude is ever gonna finish another game.

Had mixed feelings after watching the trailer. The world looks great, but the characters are odd, and the tone is so different. Jade worked so well in the original as the level headed protagonist - you've got someone to relate to with all this weird, cartoony stuff happening (hybrid creatures, alien invasions, etc). In the new teaser, the characters are zany, thrill-seeking, pirates.

Hopefully the full game is a bit less obnoxious. I'm really looking forward to checking it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Plus, I don't get all the effort put into making these detailed cinematics - do people really buy games based on these early trailers that have nothing to do with actually playing the game? Give me some game footage already.
    Buy? No. Build hype? Yes. I'd wager they're still some ways from releasing, so getting people's appetite wet.

That being said, I agree it looks little like the old BG&E... and I'm quite ok with that.

I'm surprised to find myself in a minority in that this is one of the (very few) E3 trailers this year that I enjoyed best. Yes, it's cheesy, and the particular way it's cheesy is different from BG&E in some respects, but at the same time I can see this as a different take on the same world.

I hope it won't just be a prequel, because after the first game's cliffhanger that's a bit of an insult (I'd be okay with a sort of Tales Beyond Good & Evil thing), though at the same time it's been such a long time, I've kinda stopped caring about that cliffhanger the same as I've stopped caring about the Half-Life 2 cliffhanger.

Chakat sex pillow
    The trailer's okay, really. It's a good bit of fun, with a very nicely realised city, but it's odd how it's trying to be edgy without earning it; if you remove the swearing, you'll find that it added nothing of value to the overall presentation. In fact, I'd say that the trailer would be much better served without it, and I'm the sort of person who's generally enthusiastic about cussing the everliving shit out of things when required.

There's also the fact that BG&E was a gentle, PG sort of game dealing with darker topics in an understated fashion, and it's pretty jarring seeing the little callbacks to BG&E (green eyes, Pey'j figurine, possibly Rasta rhinos, hints about Shauni via the name Shani) contrasted next to a monkey going 'mothafuckaaaaa'.

That's the thing: the swearing didn't strike me as edgy in any way, and it seemed to be mostly specific to the monkey, who has this gleefully innocent foulmouthedness. I wouldn't need it, but neither did it bother me all that much. (I'm bothered much, much more by US TV shows and the way they try to get around using swearing. It's very striking when you then watch a German TV show that's shown at 8pm and that has no compunctions about showing nudity and having people use the German equivalent of "Fuck". It doesn't come across as forced or wannabe edgy; it just comes across as people talking like people.)

Chakat sex pillow
    Different strokes, I guess. It was distracting because I wasn't expecting it. I think the larger issue is, really, the trailer didn't make me care much for the character: the monkey's obviously meant to be a roguish joker, which is something you can portray without making it that ham-fisted. I suppose in the context of the game proper it'll slot in properly, but as the first sign of a return to that universe in years, that element sticks out as tonally out of place.

Having said that, my view is it's a fine trailer that does the job of setting the table for what's to come. Of course, the fact that what's to come is a Ubisoft persistent multiplayer experience is another can of worms altogether.

That's a silly thing to be anxious about. You can't climb towers in space...

... can you?

Chakat sex pillow
    Of course you can. The gate is down, man!

Here's Eurogamer's fresh article on its scale. Yet more procgen. It sounds... well, I dunno. Like something!

I didn't mind the trailer, but the multiplayer aspect was a splash of cold water. Of course, what I'd really want is a Zelda-like adventure game that would pick up where the first one left off, though apparently that's too much to ask.