TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: DDFix and Enhanced Resolution Patch (including widescreen support)

I hope I post in the right thread.
    I got widescreen monitor (3047 sm) and also got the problem with T1. I use latest DDFix 1.5.11, T1 runs in 1280 1024, the view is stretched, but WideScreen patch doesn't help, after patching T1 doesn't run at all. T2 runs without WideScreen in 1680 1050 and looks quite well just as it should. But in DromEd's game mode everything looks terrible, it says that this resolution can be set. Why? Doesn't WideScreen work for DromEd? What am I doing wrong?

If I'm not mistaken, you must edit this:

;Field of view (FOV) in percent. Integer.
    ;FovModification=100

That is if you're using 1.5.8 and above, then the above'd work. In fact, it's a command that's already in there, just tweak it as neccesary. 110 is the highest I know b4 things become fisheye. 90 is the lowest, methinks, but I honestly am not 100% certain if what problem you are discussing is really just the conflicts between newer ddfix and older darkwidescreen.

So maybe just uninstall the Darkwidescreen patch, and use the res. of your monitor in the ddfix 1.5.x series starting with 8, along with the FOVMod variable settings in ddfix too.

Because I believe the 1.5.x series can handle custom resolutions now.

Be sure to use the executables from the sticky thread.

The widescreen patch should not be used with the game executables and ddfix 1.5.7 or later.

In all other cases, including Dromed, the widescreen patch should be used.

Ah yes, that too. BTW, has custom resolution actually been reimplemented into DDFIX? I kind of lost track of the updates.

Quote Originally Posted by jermi View Post
    Be sure to use the executables from the sticky thread.

The widescreen patch should not be used with the game executables and ddfix 1.5.7 or later.

In all other cases, including Dromed, the widescreen patch should be used.
    But how can I make widescreen patch work only for Dromed, and not for regular game? As far as I noticed widescreen isn't applied to Dromed, is it? I use latest ddfix 1.5.11 (without widescreen) and it's not applied to DromEd's game mode, which says that resolution can't be set, but through Thief2.exe everything works fine.

The widescreen patch should apply to Dromed, ddfix widescreen doesn't. Just apply the widescreen patch first, then replace the game executable with the one from the sticky thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    has custom resolution actually been reimplemented into DDFIX?
    Yes, but only for the game executables.

The widescreen patch should apply to Dromed, ddfix widescreen doesn't. Just apply the widescreen patch first, then replace the game executable with the one from the sticky thread.
    Well, maybe you could make ddfix widescreen also apply to DromEd, in order to do without separate widescreen patch. That would be more convenient.

Exactly. If only Zeus would make my days a couple of hours longer, it would benefit everyone.

You told not to use latest ddfix with widescreen patch, but T2 Demo runs this way with no problems. So ddfix widescreen is also not applied to T2 Demo?

Probably. I've never checked.

I can't run Thief 1. I used widescreen patch for DromEd 2 without patching Thief2.exe. It worked. When I do the same to Thief 1, it hangs in the menu(sound is still heard though), while DromEd 1works fine, just like T2 Demo. I use 1680 1050 resolution. What's wrong with Thief 1?

If you used the exe from the sticky thread, I don't know. But try MenuUpdateDelay=25.

That doesn't help.

By the Builder...

Holy crap.

I've been in and out of Thief since The Dark Project took away my days and nights in the late nineties. I keep coming back to it and its successor, because to this day, the remain the best games ever created.

And every time I come back, I find the community still vibrant and producing. It's amazing really, and a testament to just how good these games are.

But to return this time with Windows 7 x64 on my back and find even *fewer* problems getting them to run than previously, and with the added deliciousness of ddfix is just beyond comprehension.

This piece of works is insane. I cannot thank you enough! It even runs under Linux with WINE (at least up to v1.5.8)!!! I am dumbfounded at seeing how much you've achieved with this strategy. You install something that basically looks like crap, fire up a hex editor and download your beautiful library, and it just looks - well not beautiful - but close to it!

The DynamicGamma/Threshold/Decay settings are nothing short of genius! It's so much like real life - you stare into a bright lamp and turn around, and you can't see anything until your eyes re-focus. Similarly, when jumping into a deep shadow, after a little while your eyes get used to it and you can see more details. It's genius! Should've been in the game from day one! Added bonus is that it makes the game more playable on cheap TN panel monitors such as mine where details in dark areas usually get washed out by that annoying white fog from the panel's backlight

If it weren't for the extremely low polygon count and the low-colour and low-detail textures, this game - when ddfixed - could've been released today. Man, it would be awesome if you could somehow "dither" those textures dynamically to generate more colours

I'm off to find out if there are still texture enhancements for Thief 1 & 2 to download somewhere and then I'm about to loose some serious sleep replaying all the original levels (still haven't finished TDS, btw ). I played Lord Bafford's Manor yesterday and actually got goosebumps. I played Crysis 2 last week and was bored stiff. What does that tell us about the gaming industry these days?

I don't know how many people are still playing these half-forgotten gems, but this happy camper is so grateful that you're still in the game and giving so much to the community. If I were a praying man, I'd be praying for you every night Not being one, I'll just make sure to toast for you when drinking beer

XOXO

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    @NV

The opening post doesn't have a link to a pre-patched T1:TDP v1.33 EXE.

Here's one for you to mirror.

Essentially it's the "Thief - patch TDP v1.33 Direct3D texture error fix" EXE from Thecircle, that I've manually edited to utilise DDFix and have also applied the affinity fix upon. I've been using it for about 3 years now without any problems.

I have downloaded this (several times now!!!) and it crashes immediately on opening.

I've downloaded the ddfix and followed countless threads on this forum I just can't get this game to run.

My original problem is the 3d texture error

Thief 2 & 3 work fine it's just TDP

Please help

Yippee I've done it

This worked for me

http://www.johnanthonycurran.com/thief.html

I went here and basically started again - I uninstalled everything as I couldn't remember what I'd done and then I re-installed TDP (full install) and followed these directions and links.

The only extra thing I had to do was alter my screen resolution.

I'm so happy

I tried the latest version of DDFix with Wine and both Tgold and T2. Whilst the older 1.2.x version of DDFix works, the new one just gives me a bright white picture when the 3d world initializes. The menus look fine, but as soon as the mission loads, I'm blasted with a bright white picture. The game does NOT crash though. I can escape to the menu which still looks fine and quit as normal.

Any idea why this would happen? I think I tried tinkering with all of the settings in ddfix.ini and I just renamed ddfix.dll to ddraw.dll (which was what I've always done). None of this solved the problem and I had to downgrade DDFix.
    Last edited by lost_soul; 28th Apr 2011 at 15:04.

Try OverlayColourKey=0, and if that doesn't work, then UseSysMemOverlay=2.

Thanks. I used both of the options and it works now.

@jermi:

any news on ddfix (updates etc whatever)? is it totally dead (mean, its development) - hope not (but no updates in so much time is worrying)? What about its "successor" - any updates/progress/whatever (guess I'm a little bored )?

Zombified
    you should know the reply to that yourself-he is working as hard as he can,and will release it as soon as it's ready.

Good things come to those who wait.

I think it's always safe to say: things are probably progressing. Unless they aren't.

I've made no updates to ddfix since the last published version. It's dead, and I'm pretty sure there will be no need to resurrect it.

True that, but I'm hoping updates of wine for non-windows systems will allow the last version of DDFIX to work. I'm now on the latest beta of it, and I'm getting that limb bug that 1.5.8 was supposed to fix but didn't fully work.

Meanwhile, any attempts at running Thief 2 with the latest DDFIX causes me to have to reset the system.

I've made no updates to ddfix since the last published version. It's dead, and I'm pretty sure there will be no need to resurrect it.
    But built-in widescreen isn't applied to DromEd. So it should be updated.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast