TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 1234567121722273237424752 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Old Games (gog.com)

That's a bit of a bummer about the source code; however, that also probably means that the games will be more compatible with fan made enhancements and non-XP/Vista machines, excluding the custom installer.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by mothra View Post
    I'm interested into how much time they'll spend for their installer and/or patches made for the games. will they make all my SS2 problems go away on XP ? will they include fan-patches as an option as well ? multiplayer map packs ?
    With SS2 you won't have to worry, since EA will probably tell them to get stuffed.

A SS2 that works great on modern systems would be fantastic, unfortunately it's too good to be true I think.

I would be willing to shelf out extra cash for a solid an reliable emulator or VM like scumm and be done with those stupid graphic errors/cd checks and XP hassles about graphic-driver versions and dual core.

@The_Raven:

Please, please tell me how you got WC: Privateer working in DOSBox.

I spent many of my formative years blasting Kilrathi into dust. I would love to play it again.

As far as I'm aware, Wing Commander Privateer should work fine with the latest version of DOSBox without any tweaking. After mounting the CD drive and my classic games folder, it installs and runs without any error messages whatsoever. Without knowing what kind of problems you're running into, the best I can do is point you to WCNews' Tech Support page.

My problem is that I'm a poor university student who is still making due with a 950Mhz PC that's far too slow to run the game at full speed with sound in DOSBox. That's why I ended up fixing up an old hand-me-down Pentium 133Mhz that was stored away in the basement with parts from the local computer shop's "bone yard." After dual-booting with two flavors of DOS, fixing my virus problem, and replacing the ALSound 100 ISA with a SoundBlaster 16 WavEffects ISA; I was good to go.

EDIT: I'm still missing Wing Commander IV and V from my collection.

When I try to run it in DOSbox it gives me the same kind of JEMM errors that it gave me when I tried to run it on my 486 fourteen years ago.

I'll try again though. =p

Quote Originally Posted by ignatios View Post
    I think he's talking about selling the rights to grant a license, or whatever the equivalent legalese is.
    Which is also obviously not what the GOG-[Publisher] relationship is going to be. The publisher's are still going to be the primary license holders, they're just allowing GOG to sub-license and distribute the games, in exchange for a percentage of the income (and probably some larger initial investment on GOG's part, so in the event the whole thing goes tits up the publisher's are still making SOME money). That's just common business sense, of which Koki obviously has none.
    Of couse, when you enter Parliament, you will all also be ripped to the teats on fine cocaine...

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Not his first time. I remember when he blasted CD Projekt for the Witcher Special Edition. His logic was that coming out with an improved version of your previous product was a bad marketing move because you were saying, effectively, that your previous version was not worth buying.

Quote Originally Posted by a flower in hell
    When I try to run it in DOSbox it gives me the same kind of JEMM errors that it gave me when I tried to run it on my 486 fourteen years ago.
    If that doesn't work out for you, you can PM me and I'll see what I can think of.

Anyone else sign up for the beta?

Hi! Thanks for signing up to the GOG.com beta!

We just want to give you a quick update about GOG.com and the upcoming closed beta which will give you early access to the GOG.com experience.

The announcement of GOG.com surprised everybody - gaming media, gamers and the competition. But it was your reaction to our initiative that exceeded our wildest expectations. We would like to thank you very much for showing such incredible interest in GOG.com. We were originally planning to launch the closed beta on August 1 for a small set of people, but our plans have changed and we're delaying the beta a bit. We've decided to reward all of you for your great interest in GOG.com and we'll give early access to everyone who signed up!

At this stage we are adding the finishing touches to the site and testing the new payment system to provide you with the best GOG.com experience. During the next few weeks, we will send out access keys, which will allow you to enter GOG.com and get you on your way to gaming like it's 1995 .

Thanks for your support and see you soon on GOG.com!

Cheers,
    GOG.com Team

The Architect
    I just got that email too.

i didn't think that was post-worthy.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

The scientists that live on Scots Base over in Antarctica likely got that email as well.

Ah yes, I should have realised that everybody following this thread signed up for the beta and nobody else could possibly give a shit and I've wasted everybody's valuable time!

No worries, it just goes to show that we're all still excited

I want mah Freespace 2!

The Architect
    I bet the antarctic scientists are ready for some Citizen Kabuto!

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02
    The scientists that live on Scots Base over in Antarctica likely got that email as well.
    Scots Taffer has a base in Antarctica? I always wanted to go penguin hunting.

Classical Master 2008
    I, for one, received no such mail, although I got an offer for, and I quote, "a monster cock". What I would do with an overgrown rooster is still not entirely clear to me; more as things develop.

That joke is so old Dave Letterman's stopped using it.

is Best Pony
    Oh, don't be a stick in the mud.

The site has this thing, where they say all games are Vista and (importantly, because c'mon now, what self respecting gamer has vista) XP compatible. I'll gladly pay $8 or whatever to have the damn things work (hell I own games I can't get to work. If this place can get me a running version of MW2 I will fucking shit myself, I haven't played that game in years.)

They also open in Sept. Sept is when I go back to school. Oh karma why do you taunt me?

Site update!

From the main page:

Early Access Beta is Coming! Beware.

On Monday, September 8, anyone who signed up for the GOG.com beta will start receiving access keys to the site.

We're saying goodbye to the press beta and gearing up for the next phase: Early Access Beta. Everyone who signs up at www.gog.com before Sunday September 7 at midnight (EDT), during the next week will receive an access key, which will allow them to dive into the GOG.com site. If you don't receive your access key on Monday, don't worry as we're sending them out in stages.

The Early Access Beta will offer all the main features of the site, including buying DRM-free games, joining the community and writing reviews. Apart from just getting access, everyone buys a game from GOG.com during the Early Access Beta will receive a bonus code to get one game from GOG.com’s Interplay catalogue for free! So what are you waiting for? If you haven’t signed up yet, be sure to enter your email address and get in on the action.
    If you haven't signed up yet, now is the time!

If only game developers weren't such shit coders. We'd have far fewer problems with their games and probably wouldn't need this kind of service.

It's not so much a coding problem, it's a general failing to prepare for future technology.

Which unfortunately is not something easily guarded against. Such is the nature of PC gaming.

Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 1234567121722273237424752 ... LastLast