TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 12345678131823283338434853 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Old Games (gog.com)

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Quote Originally Posted by Hemebond View Post
    If only game developers weren't such shit coders. We'd have far fewer problems with their games and probably wouldn't need this kind of service.
    Don't forget that a good proportion of these games were long OOP and previously only available legally via the likes of Ebay.

If only game developers weren't such shit coders. We'd have far fewer problems with their games and probably wouldn't need this kind of service.
    You really have no idea how computers work, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by dethtoll View Post
    It's not so much a coding problem, it's a general failing to prepare for future technology.
    More like failing to prepare for god knows what Microsoft will pull out in 10 years.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in here or in the bargains thread, but it seems related to the general topic of interest here - you can now get the whole X-COM series on Steam for US$13.49.

Quote Originally Posted by Yakoob View Post
    You really have no idea how computers work, do you?
    Hmm. I was pretty sure I had at least a general understanding. But your comment seems to suggest I don't, so now I'm not so sure.

What is it about my comment that betrayed my ignorance?

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    More like failing to prepare for god knows what Microsoft will pull out in 10 years.
    Yes well, it's the same thing. Technology and the way that technology is run changes over time, and all too often an older game designed for older equipment and older coding is left in the dust.

We all lament it but there's no escaping it. Obsolesence is one of the inherent hallmarks of technology, and that goes back to when we figured out that Large Bone 2.0 was inherently less likely to shatter against someone's skull than Large Chunk of Wood 1.4.

Hmm. I was pretty sure I had at least a general understanding. But your comment seems to suggest I don't, so now I'm not so sure.

What is it about my comment that betrayed my ignorance?

The fact that you expect games made in the Dos era where more than 1 MB of memory was effectively achieved through clever hacks, different processor architectures actually meant completely different code and a GUI was still a dream to come true to run flawlessly on Windows Vista.

The fact that you expect games made in the Dos era where more than 1 MB of memory was effectively achieved through clever hacks, different processor architectures actually meant completely different code and a GUI was still a dream to come true to run flawlessly on Windows Vista.
    I see. I seem to have misunderstood the original topic of this thread. I took most of my information from the discussion that followed. The talk about DRM, CDs and DVDs made me think the service took old Windows games and helped run them on newer versions of Windows. Which is also what the website suggests.

Would it not be easier to just run these DOS games in an emulator, Yakoob?

Yes, it probably would, and for all we know maybe that's exactly what the GoG guys are doing. IIRC, when Valve started selling some old games, they actually ran through customized DosBox.

When it comes to old games, they were simply designed to run on a tech that is no longer used, and replaced with something different. For instance, to get a program to work today on windows you have to use Win32 API. But in the Dos days, the win32 API simply didn't exist - so how could have the devs prepared for that? They couldn't.

But the OS can (and, with win95 and 98 it did). It's really the burden of the OS to allow older products to run on it, not the other way around. You can't really be forward-compatible since you don't know what future entails, but you can be backwards compatible!

Yes, but true backwards compatibility usually means severe compromises in your design. Sometimes it is best to leave these things behind in order to properly implement your initial goals.

Yup, I totally agree Raven, hence why I am trying to take the blame away from devs for their software not running ten years later.

Just FYI, I received my key for the GoG.com beta today. I have stuff to do right now, so I'm afraid I won't be able to check it out until tonight.

I received mine and had a quick poke around, quite impressed with it.

Current games list:

1NSANE $9.99
    COLIN MCRAE RALLY 2005 SOON
    CONQUEST OF THE NEW WORLD $5.99
    DESCENT + DESCENT 2 $5.99
    DESCENT 3 + EXPANSION $5.99
    DIE BY THE SWORD + EXPANSION $5.99
    EARTHWORM JIM 3D $5.99
    EVOLVA $5.99
    F/A-18E SUPER HORNET $5.99
    FALLOUT $5.99
    FALLOUT 2 $5.99
    FALLOUT TACTICS $5.99
    FREESPACE + EXPANSION $5.99
    FREESPACE 2 $5.99
    GIANTS: CITIZEN KABUTO $5.99
    HOSTILE WATERS: ANTAEUS RISING $5.99
    INVICTUS: IN THE SHADOW OF OLYMPUS $5.99
    JAGGED ALLIANCE 2: UNFINISHED BUSINESS $5.99
    KINGPIN: LIFE OF CRIME $5.99
    LIONHEART: LEGACY OF THE CRUSADER $5.99
    M.A.X. + M.A.X. 2 $5.99
    MDK $5.99
    MDK 2 $5.99
    MESSIAH $5.99
    OPERATION FLASHPOINT GOTY SOON
    ORIGINAL WAR $5.99
    PERIMETER $9.99
    REDNECK RAMPAGE COLLECTION SOON
    SACRIFICE $5.99
    SHATTERED STEEL $5.99
    SHOGO: MOBILE ARMOR DIVISION $5.99
    SOLDIERS: HEROES OF WORLD WAR II SOON
    STONEKEEP SOON
    TOCA RACE DRIVER 3 SOON

Does anyone know if I can transfer my Fallout savegames from Mac to PC? If so I'll definitely be buying Fallout.

is Best Pony
    Ha, I've actually got most of those. It's nice to see Hostile Waters and SHOGO getting some love, though.

Q & A with Good Old Games here.

is Best Pony
    I note that a lot of commentators to that Q&A are going on about 'won't everybody who downloads a game just give it to their friends without DRM'. It amuses me that they think that, given the age of these games, anyone who was going to pirate them hadn't done so about three years ago.

Has anyone bought any games with this yet? I'm tempted to take the plunge, but my current computer is a little long in the tooth and running Win2k. While that normally wouldn't be a problem with these types of the games, I'm not entirely sure what modifications have been made to them and their installers.

I'm also particularly happy to see Hostile Waters in there. That game is awesome. Best surprise of the list, for me.

It's a good line-up. I was worried that it would be smaller than that, and that I'd already have everything I was keen on, but I'm quite pleasantly surprised. I think most people should be able to see something they don't already have that they'd like to have in that list :)

(not to mention those who can buy things they already have but never paid for, which I hope will happen.)

I just bought Fallout 2 and planning on getting Giants with my free coupon. Also looking at Kingpin and Sacrifice...

Currently, F2 is downloading at 2 MB/s w00t !

EDIT: ooh, they have their own custom installer. Pretty straightforward there, though.

EDIT: I don't have time to play right now, but just started a quick game and everything seems to be working great!

First Impression of GoG: Awesomesauce.
    Last edited by Yakoob; 9th Sep 2008 at 18:20.

Ironically, one of the big enemies of forwards-compatibility is optimization. API's and such are easy to make backwards compatible, but when somebody has written code to use its own procedures' run-times as its fundamental timing mechanism, getting its sound to work properly in a multi-tasking environment (just for example) is a true nightmare even for an emulator.

I just got done with the trail of F2 and everything's running perfectly well on my dual-core XP machine I also got Giants but haven't downloaded it yet.

Definitely getting Fallout Tactics, but what to get with the coupon?

I don't know what GoG did to Fallout, but it runs like molasses now. I was afraid of this, but at least I'm not the only one who seems to be having this problem. In my case, however, the age of my computer is making the performance hit drag the game down to unplayable frame rates. Part of me wishes I had waited for a reply to my earlier query, at least it was only 5.99 USD.

EDIT: Never mind, I found a solution. After realizing that it wasn't a modified exe, because the same thing happens if you import the "original" version of the executable and run it, it became apparent that the .dll file that is included in the installation must be modifying the program at run-time. All you need to do is rename that file and things are back the way they were; however, this also brings back the black screen issue that is common on NT systems. It feels really good to finally have a legit copy of this game. The only hard part now is deciding on which game to redeem with my coupon: Descent 3 or Freespace 2?
    Last edited by The_Raven; 10th Sep 2008 at 02:12.

is Best Pony
    I'd heard Descent 3 wasn't quite as well-received as number 2, but Freespace 2 is awesome.

Probably preaching to the converted, but Giants is a must-have. Great gameplay (save for the annoying jet-ski races, but they don't last too long), and frequently laugh-out-loud funny. If you don't own it, then you should definitely look into it.

Descent 3 is an odd one. Everything about it seems bigger and better than its predecessors, but I've just never gotten very far when playing it. Maybe the relative simplicity of the earlier games was part of the appeal? I've never quite been able to explain why I don't like it a bit more than I actually do.

I've actually played both before, I guess I'm in the minority in that I actually preferred the above ground landscapes to the constant mines of the previous games. On that note, I actually prefer Freespace 1 as a game to its sequel; however, Freespace 2's large community support and the FSSCP make it a must have.

Page 3 of 81 FirstFirst 12345678131823283338434853 ... LastLast