TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Old Games (gog.com)

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Quote Originally Posted by NMA Forums troubleshooting thread
    There's no music in the game
    ------------------------------
    Open your config file and make sure the music path entry points to the right folder. It should look something like this (for Fallout 2):

music_path1=C:\Program Files\BlackIsle\Fallout2\data\sound\music\
    See if that helps- not having bought a game over GOG, I don't know where the shit gets placed, but I imagine it's the same deal.

Quote Originally Posted by EvaUnit02 View Post
    Obviously any random person on the internet wasn't in mind when that was written. Also notice that the EULA had been changed when they released Freespace 2 on Gametap?
    It wasn't just Gametap; the EULA minus the sharing clause was installed from the retail CDs.

More here

i got myself Fallout and Fallout2 for free. installers do not contact the mothership (i have some sniffers runnning) and installation is as easy as they come (choose path + click on OK). after that it seems to follow normal installation routines, the extra-stuff is nice as well.
    for both Fallout games there is:

Manual
    ReferenceCard
    High-Rez Wallpaper
    Wallpaper Series
    Soundtrack (mp3s)

so far I just bought both for Fun, I already own the Fallout Collection DVD, I just wanted to have a game I arleady own to compare gog-installation to.
    I will get myself a few others, moreso to support gog than to play them right away since I'm occupied with Stalker and soon TheWitcher and FarCry2.

Yes, I can say I'm fairly confident that the installers don't contact the mothership as well. This steams from the fact that my software firewall is extremely fickle when it comes to programs launching other programs or trying to access the Internet. During most installation routines, I normally have to make exceptions for the installer, otherwise it makes Vista's UAC look completely nonintrusive by comparison. My software firewall didn't even make a peep when I installed the games from GOG.com. You do have to run the installer as an administrator, which is annoying.

Neat. Incidentally, I have Fallouts 1 and 2 on CD; 1 came with a simple screensaver, similar to that built into the PipBoy in the game. It's a bunch of green-scanline bombs falling out of the sky at an angle, interspersed with game art. (If you'd like to see an example, fire up Fallout, have your character view his PipBoy and let it sit there for a few minutes.) If that isn't included in the extras, and you're interested, I can provide, or just search the web for it.

Owners of the original Fallouts can also extract the soundtracks from the original ACM files using ACM2WAV. This includes the Inkspots' "Maybe" and Louis Armstrong's "A Kiss to Build a Dream On."

I've been using that screensaver for 8 years. Never saw a need to change it.

Though I turned off the background. It's not so much "artwork" as it's dark clouds.

Just to clarify, what I meant was that the bombs-fallin' animation is periodically interspersed with actual game art, such as a close-up of Bob's Iguana, or a shot of a soldier in power armor against an AMERICA!!!! flag in the background. Ain't just clouds, but you can turn these and the clouds off in the screensaver.

Are you sure about that? Because there's no option for such a thing in the menu, and I've never seen it in 8 years of using this screensaver.

The option is "Bombs Only," which turns off the art, whereas "Bomb backdrop" turns off just the clouds.

Ah there it goes.

is Best Pony
    Now you can keep that setting for the next 8 years!

I'll pass!

So, has anyone had any issues with logging back in?

The frontpage kicks me back to the the intro page for me.

Did you keep your cookies? Otherwise, the front and beta pages will bump you back to the teaser page. If your access key is still valid, use that; otherwise, you'll probably have to contact their support staff. As you can tell, this happened to me; not exactly my finest hour.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

Fallout 1 is confirmed to be the censored UK version. Grab the the appropriate patches from NMA.

PayPal

Just a heads-up for those waiting for this: GOG now supports PayPal.

Neat.

Nice, I may actually get it now.

For those who are interested, the most recent news post unveils plans for a completely optional downloader for the service. I guess this is mostly to address all the comments about how people wished GOG.com had its own background app like Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Destro, GOG.com Team
    As some really big games are just around the corner, in the next few weeks we'll be releasing a nice handy little tool: the GOG.com Downloader (beta . Just before the weekend we wanted to give you a small sneak-peek, so you'll know what to expect:

* First and foremost, the Downloader app (application) will be totally optional. Downloading games via browser will remain the default download method.
    * It's NOT an installer, it's NOT a launcher and it's definitely NOT a background service or some other annoying malware . Our app serves only as an alternative download method for bigger games or people having problems with their transfers.
    * The app will be seamlessly integrated with your GOG.com user account. So when the Downloader is released, you will see a new option on your My Account page that lets you add a game to your downloader queue. The queue will then be automatically pushed to the Downloader app and transfers will begin automatically.
    * So many people asked for this, and yes, it lets you pause and resume transfers. You can also rearrange the queue by a simple drag & drop.
    * It's built using the new Adobe AIR technology (yes, it requires Adobe AIR but the added bonus is platform independence: Downoader works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux)
    * Our goal was to make it simple and pleasant to use. I believe our design team really nailed it. Check out the attached image for a small teaser.

So stay tuned and expect a release soon. In the meantime, post your thoughts and ideas.

--
    Piotr K.
    Design & Dev Team ]

Quote Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
    I guess this is mostly to address all the comments about how people wished GOG.com had its own background app like Steam. :rolleyes:
    It's because so many people wished there was a way to reliably download and/or resume downloads of the rather massive files that GOG offers.

is Best Pony
    Oh cool, that should be pretty helpful.

MDK for $5.99, and here I come!

(I only ever played the demo but loved it to bits.)

First Impressions: Slick feel to the website. Pretty impressed that you can opt to download the soundtrack as part of your purchase, too.

Every GOG.com user currently in the beta now has one invite code to let someone else try the service.

While all of us TTLGers are probably in it already, there's probably other people we know who aren't. This is a perfect opportunity to let them in, buy some great games at low prices, and waste them at the game of your choice if it's multiplayer (I'm personally itching for some Die By The Sword multiplayer).

Hmmm, I don't seem to be able to log into my account. Going to gog.com/myaccount just shoots me back to the front promo page, same with the link to contact the support. anyone else experiencing this?

That's happened to me a couple times before. Just go to gog.com/beta and put your beta code in again.

Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst 12345678910152025303540455055 ... LastLast