TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Old Games (gog.com)

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Moyer View Post
    Unless emancipated means the exact opposite of what I've known it to mean for the past 30 years, that makes no sense whatsoever.
    The ones that haven't been emancipated didn't get permission from their moms to move to the basement. They still live in their childhood room...

And that's how an attempt at humor fails completely.

Recent, and upcoming

Painkiller Black Edition
    Gothic 2 Gold Edition
    Stronghold
    Stronghold Crusader
    In Cold Blood
    Panzer Elite Special Edition
    Spellforce Platinum
    Alien Nations
    Waxworks

edit: missed one from the Upcoming list:
    The Guild: Gold Edition
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 31st Jan 2009 at 07:40.

Gief Mechwarrior 2: Mercs!

Promo interview for GOG.com

Mainly about piracy and GOG's sales model. Nothing too revealing or revolutionary.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/...e-about-piracy

still nice to hear it's working out for them

is Best Pony
    Ooh, Rise of the Triad! Also Duke Nukem (3D Atomic Edition and Manhattan Project) and two Blake Stone games.

and everybody that buys Duke atomic now will participate in an Apogee Contest where one lucky buyer gets ALL the apogee titles at gog.com

and the gog.com merch shop is open.
    gonna get me a cool t-shirt or mousepad

Atomic Edition? Awesome! Mine got destroyed a long time ago so maybe this will be the first game to hook me into GoG.

Definitely cool to see the Apogee catalogue on GOG. And big name games like Duke3D can do nothing but good things for the service.

My Atomic Edition CD is as good as new, but the Manhattan Project might be worth a look.

Rise of the Triad
    \m/ \m/

GOG is having another of their many contests, this one might be more suited to TTLG members, since it involves the original Gothic (which I am tempted to buy if I had the time to play it and reasonable assurance that it actually runs on my system).

Gothic exploration contest

Determine where the screenshot they provide was taken, and you are entered into a drawing to win a free game code worth a whopping $9.99!!!

Normally, I'm not the contest-entering type, but I actually won a contest for writing a review for Stronghold as to how it plays on a netbook. Now, I have a coupon code for any game they carry. They seem to have a similar contest every week they have a release, so they can drum up content for their review sections for their games. I suggest picking one of the obscure titles they have, so you have less competition, since winning is based as much on chance as it is on the quality of the review you give.
    Last edited by doctorfrog; 4th Mar 2009 at 14:12. Reason: added exclamation points to indicate excitement

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    Definitely cool to see the Apogee catalogue on GOG.
    Agreed, although I'd like to see a compilation of their older 2D stuff. I know we can already get Keen on Steam but some people prefer the GoG approach - plus there's Raptor, Cosmo, Biomenace etc.

Biomenace is freeware now.

Just bought DN3D last weekend. Definitely waaaay worth the money if you play with the mods, if not for nostalgic reasons. In fact, even if it were to be priced at $15, I'd still buy it. I'm lukewarm to the DukePlus mod which everyone seems to be raving about (not huge on some of the features), but you guys have GOT to try the Weapons of Mass Destruction mod. It's made by the same guy who did DukePlus - sure it has issues too, but the game is so damn fun and unique with the WMD mod, it's hard to fault any of the issues

Can you use the WMD mod with the polygonal Duke Nukem mod? I just replayed DN3D a few years back, but looking at those screens makes me want to play again. I can hear the groaning wails of the flying tiger-striped aliens and the pew pew of their irritating little lasers.

Secret Level: I played the demo for Duke Nukem on the sly at my call center job in 1996. It was the first PC game demo I ever played and the first full PC game I ever played on my first PC: a 100mhz Pentium, with a whopping 32 MB of RAM. Duke was gaming on a level entirely unlike I had ever experienced on consoles. Those were the days where playing a shareware demo (not a pre-release alpha version of a game) took hours of time.

In Spelunky, I just got enough money for the tunnel man to dig to level nine. I'm progressing relatively slowly, with over 500 deaths and no wins yet, but still having a lot of fun with it. Arx Fatalis has also floated up to the top of my queue, and I'll be playing that next.

Affiliate programmes

I just noticed this:

http://www.scummvm.org/?shownews=20090122.xml

We are pleased to announce the start of an affiliate program with the excellent Good Old Games service, also known as GOG.com. Just click on their button on the sidebar and you will be brought to the site. Register there and buy some games. You will get your game, cheap, fast and legally, and the ScummVM project will get a share of the proceeds.
    Look for the GOG logo underneath the right-hand menus.

So I wondered if DOS Box had the same thing happening, and although I'm not seeing anything explicit in their news item, they do feature a link with a similar URL, so I suspect you can donate to the DOSBox project in the same manner:

http://www.dosbox.com/

edit: Or, of course, you could just donate to ScummVM and/or DOS Box development directly. They both have facilities for doing this.
    Last edited by Shadowcat; 7th Mar 2009 at 18:43.

Oh you bastard, for a second I thought that meant Lucasarts classics were being released on Gog.

Instead we just get the other odd bits that run on ScummVM - I mean ok the adventures of George Stobart are entertaining enough, but it's a sore disappointment when I want Day of the Tentacle.

Pro Pinball

Empire has jumped on board with the Pro Pinball series (minus The Web, though?), which means that "Timeshock" (quite simply the best computer pinball table ever, IMHO) can be had for just US$6.

Big Race USA is on the way as well! Fantastic Journey too, although that got uncharacteristically poor reviews for a Pro Pinball game (never played it myself), so I kinda wish they had The Web instead; but they got the two I really wanted to see there :)

Apache vs Havoc too, for the helicopter sim fans. I don't know if Commanche vs Hokum will eventuate on GOG, given the recent Enemy Engaged 2, but that's also very cool to see.

http://www.gog.com/en/search/sort/pu...%20Interactive

is Best Pony
    I picked up The Web and Timeshock for 99p each many many years ago, but never got round to playing them. Are they accessible to people who are hopeless at pinball?

That's an awesome deal! I'm unsure what you mean by 'accessible'. If pinball does little for you, then these games most likely won't change your opinion. If you like it but simply aren't that good at it... well, I'm certainly no wizard and I've always enjoyed Timeshock, so I figure there's a good chance you'll like 'em enough to try to improve your skills a bit :)

In any case, you needn't repurchase them if you still have the CDs. I've found that I can get Timeshock working perfectly on my dual-core WinXP/SP2 machine simply by setting the game's compatibility mode to Windows 95; and I can run it without the CD in the drive, but still with the redbook audio, by using Daemon Tools.

At present, the GOG version is a DOS version of the game, running though DOSBox, and as well as the performance hit (at least on older machines), it restricts resolution and colour-depth, which is a shame given that the Windows version goes up to 1600x1200 and 24-bit colour, and consequently still looks gorgeous today.

So although my PC seemed to run it very smoothly in DOSBox (amazing what modern hardware can do!), I'd definitely recommend using your existing CD versions to get the better graphics, and using Daemon Tools (or similar) if you're having issues with the redbook music (and/or simply want to keep the CDs safe).

is Best Pony
    Thanks for the advice! My situation is definitely the latter, I love pinball but I'm just useless at it.

Looks like GOG is debuting a new publisher, Topware Interactive. How is the Earth 21X0 series as RTS games?

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfrog View Post
    Looks like GOG is debuting a new publisher, Topware Interactive. How is the Earth 21X0 series as RTS games?
    I found them very enjoyable with a lot of very handy features (building queues, unit customization, auto-hotkeying, grouping units into companies, etc). The research tree can be a little overwhelming at first, but it's not too bad once you get used to it. You can even set the AI to take over tasks that you don't necessarily want to handle (upgrading weaponry on buildings, research choices, etc). I'd say you should give it a try.

Mind you, I've only played Earth 2150 and the Moon Project. I have no familiarity with Earth 2140, Lost Souls, or Earth 2160.

Page 8 of 81 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213182328333843485358 ... LastLast