TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368737883889398 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,325 of 2524

Thread: Current song you are listening to(or the Last song you listened to)

IRON MAIDEN PIECE OF FUCKING MIND BITCHES!

The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Forest Overworld

The new Zelda may have a few problems -most blatant of those being a voluntary lack of anything else than evolutionary innovation- but the soundtrack sure isn't one. Haven't been so in love with a Nintendo soundtrack for a long time

SYLVIA, GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE OVEN

Quote Originally Posted by ercles View Post
    What? A pop album? How on earth did you draw that conclusion, iTunes lists it as alternative, and I would have labeled it as indie.
    "Indie" and "alternative" are not genres. Hospice isn't pop in the literal sense, but in the one of which a lot of indie music has come to be known. It's not rocky enough to be rock, it's not experimental enough to be experimental. It takes the verse-chorus-verse style and changes it slightly—but still in distinctly pop vein.

As far as song construction goes, I really don't take your point,
    Musically I just don't find very much about this record that's striking, and part of the reason I think is that it's very lyric-centric, as in, the melody or rhythm tend to take a backseat if certain words need to be said. The melody of "Kettering," for example, doesn't sound so much composed as just improvised to fit the lines. Musically, it's entirely predictable, and without the lyrics sheet nearby, practically meaningless. And I think this trend follows through on many of the songs on the record.

If this album was just a big pile of poorly written emo junk, then it'd be a lot easier to dismiss
    Jackablade and I were talking about the album before I had heard it. He said he'd describe it as "well-written emo" and I tend to agree with him. I doubt I could write it, but that's partly because lines like "remind me again how everyone betrayed you" would never make it to the printer.

I will give it a few more listens, because I've found that a few of the songs have grown on me, but I keep coming to parts and thinking "no, if this was my album, I wouldn't have done it that way."

The difference between Antlers and emo, other than it having better writing, is that the topic of Hospice could believably devastate a person unlike a teenage breakup. That said, I agree with your points and I too would be unable to write or sing this stuff with a straight face but I can enjoy it when it's done well. Not for everybody though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aja View Post
    "Indie" and "alternative" are not genres. Hospice isn't pop in the literal sense, but in the one of which a lot of indie music has come to be known. It's not rocky enough to be rock, it's not experimental enough to be experimental. It takes the verse-chorus-verse style and changes it slightly—but still in distinctly pop vein.
    Although I'm personally not huge on labels, beyond their use to describe music in a fairly general way, I really just don't get this. Are you saying that if it isn't rock, and it isn't experimental, and it uses a verse-chorus system, then it's pop? Surely you can't argue that pop music has some kind of lease on a verse-chorus structure, The Mars Volta have often joked that all their songs boil down to verse chorus and they sure as hell aren't pop music. As far as indie/alternative goes, they're both subgenres of rock music, but I'd certainly argue that you can make enough distinctions to label certain music as either.

Musically I just don't find very much about this record that's striking, and part of the reason I think is that it's very lyric-centric, as in, the melody or rhythm tend to take a backseat if certain words need to be said. The melody of "Kettering," for example, doesn't sound so much composed as just improvised to fit the lines. Musically, it's entirely predictable, and without the lyrics sheet nearby, practically meaningless. And I think this trend follows through on many of the songs on the record.
    I guess this just boils down to a personal taste issue (and I do argue that certain elements of music extend beyond taste). Plenty of people use this sort of meandering style of lyricism where strict melody and rhythm take a back seat to the words, spoken word poetry, and bjork's fairly individual (but hugely influential) style both spring to mind.

Jackablade and I were talking about the album before I had heard it. He said he'd describe it as "well-written emo" and I tend to agree with him. I doubt I could write it, but that's partly because lines like "remind me again how everyone betrayed you" would never make it to the printer.

I will give it a few more listens, because I've found that a few of the songs have grown on me, but I keep coming to parts and thinking "no, if this was my album, I wouldn't have done it that way."
    You do realise that just because you wouldn't do something like the antlers doesn't by definition devalue their stylistic decisions, right?

I never said it did. Only that it wasn't working for me.

As for the genre, I do think that pop has something of a lease on verse-chorus-verse structure, provided it's not as loud or distorted as rock generally is. But is the genre really relevant to the discussion? Whether or not Hospice is indie pop or rock or alternative, my argument remains the same.

Aja is focusing on the specifics and losing sight of the big picture, which is naturally going to diminish his enjoyment of something like Hospice that unapologetically paints with massive strokes. It's not overtly clever so much as nakedly honest, both musically and lyrically (although the latter do burrow deeper, layer by layer, as pieces fall into place with multiple listens). For the most part there is nothing here you haven't heard before, and yet it is the sum total that is a triumph, an emotional wallop to the gut.

Yeah, "Ketterling" is fairly straightforward from a music standpoint, and so what? The gentle frailty of the music combines with the detail-specific lyrics (morphine alarms, tubes in her arms) to create a tense, queasy atmosphere that builds into an explosive and sad release that introduces the blueprint for the album as a whole.

It's an album that itches a familiar scratch and tears a hole in your back in the process.

"Rock Bottom"-UFO

Chakat sex pillow
    So I'm listening to the new Devin Townsend Project album. I can't think of just one word for it. It's fast and raucous and optimistic. It has a female Dutch co-lead on the vocals.

It's... pop metal?

So yeah, lots o' folks going to be hating on it. Tends to suffer from some amount of repetition, and almost each song has the same distorted rhythm guitar track laying the foundation in the background. But it's like popping pixie sticks - sugary and fun and you don't want to stop. Hope the comedown isn't too bad.

Currently listening to Numbered!, which summarises the album's musical direction in a nutshell.

Uneven Structure - 8

Pretty good prog/math metal.

Chakat sex pillow
    Office, over the PA: Last Christmas
    Office, in the elevator: Last Christmas
    Home, TV: Last Christmas
    Home, Asshole Room-mate's stereo: Last Christmas
    Home, Asshole Room-mate's stereo ten minutes later: Last Christmas, Ashley Tisdale Techno Remix
    Home, Asshole Room-mate's stereo fifteen minutes later: Last Christmas, Trance rave version
    Home, Asshole Room-mate's stereo while my brain asplodes: Last Christmas, the Hiphop Remix

Bonus Track: Asshole Room-mate's stereo through my door while I try to stuff two pillows into my head via my ears: It's Christmas Time, Alvin and the Chipmunks HIPHOP REMIX VERSION

SOMEBODY FUCKING HELP ME AAAAAAAAAAGHHH

Nine Inch Nails - Right where it belongs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZn95...eature=related

I really like the live version of that song off their DVD. Although I don't really like the song any more, the sheer spectacle of the live version still impresses me.

Bill's Xmas Megamix

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine

this delightful album

Fever Ray-If I Had a Heart (Fuck Buttons Remix) has really sunk its claws into me deep right now, there is something deeply satisfying about such a simple hook being worked through to its inevitable conclusion.

Dub Fx - Sooth Your Pain

If you don't like it, watch him making it, just voice, effects and loop peddles.

Hans Zimmer - Journey to the line (- of madness)
    Masterpiece of music from the movie ''The thin red line'', WWII movie of battle for Guadalcanal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG9-j3eevL4
    Last edited by Molock; 1st Jan 2010 at 10:22.

Actually have 3 songs on the go right now:

Gackt - The Decade Trilogy.
    Last edited by DarkForge; 1st Jan 2010 at 11:39.

In the mood for some Front Line Assembly. - FLA - Fragmented - Also, never heard about this Armored Core game before, but now I know that it has quality CG animation.

Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    So I'm listening to the new Devin Townsend Project album. I can't think of just one word for it. It's fast and raucous and optimistic. It has a female Dutch co-lead on the vocals.

It's... pop metal?

So yeah, lots o' folks going to be hating on it. Tends to suffer from some amount of repetition, and almost each song has the same distorted rhythm guitar track laying the foundation in the background. But it's like popping pixie sticks - sugary and fun and you don't want to stop. Hope the comedown isn't too bad.

Currently listening to Numbered!, which summarises the album's musical direction in a nutshell.
    I'm going to go see him play in a couple of weeks. Looking forward to it.

Vai's "Sex and Religion" was the best album he's ever worked on, and it's pop-metal. Added to SYL and his production work on Soilwork's excellent "Natural Born Chaos" and "Stabbing the Drama," he's won enough respect from me over the years to follow him through most anything for a bit.

Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 381318232833384348495051525354555657586368737883889398 ... LastLast