TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 387 123456111621263136414651101251 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you playing?

What are you playing?

Had an idea to start a thread where you tell us what game(s) you are playing currently, and an opinion about how it is so far. Maybe a quick story about something funny or cool.

Anyway, I just bought 2 games for my original XBOX. Both of which I have been anxious to try for years...Prisoner of War and the DooM 3 exp. called Resurection of Evil.

It is really a bit too soon to form an opinion about P.O.W., but I am optimistic. I am a SUCKER for stealth games, and this is about the only one I am aware of that I hadn't at least tried out.

The Doom 3 expansion is cool as shit so far. Honestly, it is more fun than the original game!!! I like the gravity gun. It is a bit overpowered, though, so I recommend upping the difficulty a tick if you are going to use it a lot. It allows you to snag the fireballs that the demons throw at you, and launch it right back in their faces. It is a one-shot kill, BTW. The graphics (this is the XBOX version)are actually a bit 'better' than the original game. The textures seem sharper and a bit higher resolution. I haven't seen any of those blurry ones like the first game yet. Can't wait to get the double barrel shotty!!! Oh, and I honestly have put more time into DooM and DooM II than RoE It is a real trip playing them on a console. They survived the porting rather well. Since the aiming in them is just Horizontal, the controller doesn't really cripple the gunplay. You can even kill the H.U.D.

So, who's next?
    Last edited by gunsmoke; 14th Aug 2008 at 09:53.

I've been going through my shelves and discs and playing all the games I own that I've never really given the thorough playthrough. I've had theif DS for years and I never got past the 2nd mission. So i fired it up and beat it. So at the moment Im playing Project Snowblind and Alpha Prime. Alpha Prime looks nice. Impressive for something developed completely independantly but the story turned extreme cheese somewhere around the translation from czech to english.

Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. Yes, it's not as charming as the original, but in terms of gameplay it is even better - and once you accept that the tone is different (and somewhat silly), it's still a very enjoyable instalment of the series IMO. Next in line: The Two Thrones.

I should also get back to Oblivion at some point - still haven't played Shivering Isle.

(I'm also replaying Shadow of the Colossus, if consoles also count.)

Currently Playing:

XBox 360

Bomberman Live - Played over XBox Live, 8 player on screen action at it's best. Can be particularly cruel when you're being thraped and you're on with a vocal crowd!

Geometry Wars Evolved 2 - See my other thread for details, but know that this is a damn fine arcade experience.

GTA IV - Still ploughing Nico through the single player missions, and taking my time with it to soak up all this game has to offer. "Cause that's just how I roll"

PC

Scrabulous - Now that's a sad state of affairs, isn't it?

Xbox - currently about to finish NFS: Underground.
    PS3 - I'm enjoying Blazing Angels a lot. Also on my second playthrough of Resistance: Fall of Man
    PC - just restarted a good ole Half Life.

Not finished but unplayed for a while: I still have to complete Metroid and Red Steel on the Wii, I also started Halo 2 and Far Cry a while ago on Xbox but didn't get to finish.

PC Gamering Smartey Man
    I <3 consoles and gamepads

PC:-

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and expansions.
    I completed MoH:AA last night for the first time and found it to be great overall. It was pretty tepid until the Omaha Beach landing level though. It was brutally hard at times, eg one level where you're in a town full of snipers with bionic vision.

Currently I'm about halfway through Spearhead - my God, these are some exciting levels. The Bastogne mission where you're in foxholes whilst being shelled upon feels straight out of Band of Brothers.

Michael Giacchino's score for this game is fantastic.

Replaying:-
    Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Fun, solidly made shooter.

This game also has a terrific score.

Tried:-
    Fallout. I've progressed as for as Sandy Springs (or whatever the town between Vaults 13-15 is called) and there's bugger all equipment there. The starting peashooter is rubbish. I've got no cash obviously, need to venture to the the nearby Merchant towns to see if I can score some decent gear - like a rifle and armour at least.

Also need to read the PDF manual on the CD and find out how stats are distributed when one levels up.

Xbox 360:- Finished Gears of War the other day with a buddy over the net. Good co-op game. Glad that I didn't pay for it, it's way too short (borrowing it from another mate). Chainsawing people never gets old!

The sluggish, inaccurate gamepad controls whilst trying to snipe made me long for mouse look, just like every other console FPS (and all the GTA's since 3) that I've played. Gamepads are fine for spammy machine gun type weapons, but that's about it really.

Still halfway through Mass Effect.
    Last edited by EvaUnit02; 14th Aug 2008 at 09:45.

I'm playing through Baldur's Gate 2 again (which I've played several times), this time with the intention of continuing to Throne of Bhaal (which I've never played).

Also, when I need a shooting fix, I'm going through Crysis for the first time. It's alright. Better than the second half of Far Cry, anyway. Definitely not worth the +90% reviews it was getting. It's fun in segments of less than an hour at a time, which is pretty much all of my gaming anyway.

Just completed Fallout 2 again for the dozenth time. I am now playing Medieval 2: Total War. I actually got this almost as soon as it got out, but for some reason couldn't get into it as I did with the first Medieval and Rome. This time, however, I've already completed a short English campaign and is now about halfway through a long French campaign. I've gotten Jerusalem and 20+ provinces, and is currently dreading the arrival of the Golden Horde, which I fear will slaughter all my generals in the Middle East area, including my 9 star crown prince.

Been renting games for my new 360.

Recently rented Mass Effect. I actually really enjoyed it, despite the fact that I have pretty much never enjoyed an RPG in my life. I just don't like the idea that you have to put up with poor gameplay for the stats or the atmosphere, but Mass Effect showed that you can have an RPG where the combat doesn't suck monkey balls. Not to say that the game didn't have problems (I loved the concept of the dialogue wheel but the fact that you can go through a conversation again and again negates the purpose and every choice leads to the same outcome anyways) but the combination of enjoyable gameplay and RPG-style stats interested me enough to keep playing.

Also rented Condemned 2. I was surprised how much fun I had playing this one. I was wary after having seen Zero Punctuation's review of it, and what he said was true. The doll factory level in particular made it perfectly clear that the game wanted to throw away suspense and subtlety and it all began to feel like it was just for show (although the bear encounter certainly won back my trust). The storyline was ridiculous but actually somewhat decent, and the gameplay was good enough for a single playthrough, although I can't see myself wanting to play through the game several times over.

PC:
    Just picked up Evil Genius and BloodRayne 2 really cheap this week. Have only installed Evil Genius so far, but so far I'm having fun.

I have been playing Stranglehold as well, nice cinematic game with unfortunate random crashing. Bullet Time, special powers, acrobatic stunts and the ability to shoot apart much of the scenery (but not the levels themselves) help this game feel like a Hong Kong action movie. There are some interesting boss fights and a decent plot. Oh, and killing enemies by blowing up the scenery gives bonus points.

Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance has seen some play time as well. I prefer that over DoW for my RTS needs.

WII:
    LEGO Indiana Jones. If you've played the LEGO Star Wars games you know what to expect here, only with a different setting. Due to price difference between PC and console versions, with little actual game difference, I'll be getting the PC version of LEGO Batman when that hits shelves.

Defend Your Castle (WiiWare version). Fun for a few rounds at a time, a prolonged session would likely leave me with severely hurting wrists.

Flash games:
    Mostly Tower Defense games, with Onslaught and Gemcraft providing the most fun experiences.

All PC:
    Frets on Fire
    Star Trek: Elite Force II
    Medal of Honor Airborne
    Doom 3
    STALKER
    I-War 2

I would be playing Wing Commander IV and Starlancer, but my joystick is busted.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirith View Post

(I'm also replaying Shadow of the Colossus, if consoles also count.)
    Of course, silly! Actually, both of my own examples were console games! Doesn't matter what kind of system boots up your game, as long as you're playing one.

PC - Temple Of Elemental Evil with the final C08 mod pack.
    I'd been toying around with Planescape Torment and Fallout with hi-res and restoration mods, but I'd played through both not too long ago and lost interest.

360 - Braid and the Fable 2 Pub Games. Once I finish Braid I'll try the revamped Bionic Commando.

Cuddly little misanthropic hate machine
    Currently I'm playing through Fallout, the original. I'm running it with the 1.3.3 fanpatch plus the NPC mod (makes them a bit more useful, I gotta say!)

This is like, my 10th runthrough of the game, but I'm taking my time. I just finished the Glow last night and am trying to unload all my shit in the Hub before I head back to the Brotherhood. I hope to clear out at least the Military base today, but I also want to stop by Necropolis and crush the invasion.

When I'm not trudging the wasteland I'm yukking it up on Day of Defeat Source (which is fun again) or TF2- though I'm going to be avoiding TF2 for a while once the Heavy update comes out.

I just finished my third playthrough of Dead Rising. Good lord, the game is difficult the first time round! But once you build up your character a bit, the game becomes less about tension and survival and more about tooling around the mall trying out new weapons (favourites so far: melting faces with a hot frying pan, jamming a showerhead into a zombie and watching the blood stream out, and the excavator, which, well, excavates things). I also bought Assassin's Creed on sale, so I might try getting into that later.

But what I really miss are the old platformers -- Mario Sunshine had some great, difficult platforming, but Galaxy's a cakewalk and there hasn't really been much else lately. I'm probably gonna buy N+ on the xbla and relive the days when winning came down to split second timing. Also, Braid looks interesting, though the supposed five-hour length is a sticking point considering the $17 price tag.

heretic: Is the Co8 patch good? I loved toEE but bugs killed the game so bad for me.

Games I'm playing:

Dark messiah. Never actually finished it the first time(Mostly due to the difficulty spiking up for my thief character). This time I'm doing the magic bit.

Trackmania: NF. The editor is really fun. I made a track where you have to skip you car off of the water like a stone and crazy half pipes. I'd buy it if it looked like it had lasting appeal. The 'hot wheels' physics engine gets a bit predictable.

Fallout 2. I never actually played the game as an evil character so I've been giving it a run. You miss out on a lot of experience... but I suppose you make up for it once you reach new reno. Playing that with Killapp's rest. patch, and it makes random encounters really scary. I think I might actually have to put points into outdoorsman.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffer36 View Post
    Been renting games for my new 360.

Recently rented Mass Effect. I actually really enjoyed it, despite the fact that I have pretty much never enjoyed an RPG in my life. I just don't like the idea that you have to put up with poor gameplay for the stats or the atmosphere, but Mass Effect showed that you can have an RPG where the combat doesn't suck monkey balls. Not to say that the game didn't have problems (I loved the concept of the dialogue wheel but the fact that you can go through a conversation again and again negates the purpose and every choice leads to the same outcome anyways) but the combination of enjoyable gameplay and RPG-style stats interested me enough to keep playing.

Also rented Condemned 2. I was surprised how much fun I had playing this one. I was wary after having seen Zero Punctuation's review of it, and what he said was true. The doll factory level in particular made it perfectly clear that the game wanted to throw away suspense and subtlety and it all began to feel like it was just for show (although the bear encounter certainly won back my trust). The storyline was ridiculous but actually somewhat decent, and the gameplay was good enough for a single playthrough, although I can't see myself wanting to play through the game several times over.
    I'm playing exactly the same games, although I have Mass Effect for the PC. I'm enjoying both so far, Condemned is good bloody fun and Mass Effect is starting to get very good indeed. I am glad that Bioware have finally learned the value of decent facial animation which means the dialog sections are now much more compelling and the Gears of War-esque combat, while not as refined as that game, is a welcome addition. It almost doesn't feel like an RPG, The only thing that really gives me that RPG feeling are the filler quests, which I am surprised to say is a good thing in this case.

Morrowind: I beat this game a while ago, but I feel like I really missed out on all the side exploration and such.

Linux: I spent a lot of time getting my debian install all nice and pretty, so I dumped some time into Savage 2 and UT2004 to make me feel like it was worth it, but I think I exhausted the entertainment value of that. I have my eyes on OpenMW now.

Counter Strike Source: Been playing 1v1 with an old friend of mine for nostalgia. I played this game very seriously for a good 5 years, so now I'm handicapping myself by only using the tmp/mac01, grenades, and a non-deagle pistol. It actually suits my playstyle better, at least in 1v1.

Picked up Mega Man Anniversary Collection for the Xbox, and I'm playing through all of the NES Mega Man games in anticipation of Mega Man 9. Beat 1- 4 already, and I'm about a third of the way through 5.

Downloaded Bionic Commando Re-Armed and loving it

Ditto for Braid

Just purchased the full season of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People and intend to play through it in short order.

Also, playing a healthy amount of Team Fortress 2.

Picked up a PS3 recently, and finished Metal Gear Solid 4, which was great (but not *quite* as good as 3). Started Uncharted, but I was reminded that I still need to finish Jak 3, so I resumed that for a bit. Then I remembered that I really wanted to finish my game of Dragon Warrior 3 (on NES no less, and for the first time), so that's what I'm playing now. I just got the ship and final key, for anyone who's familiar with the game.

On PC, I started Oblivion again, after having totally misinterpreting the upgrade stat system and crippling my first character (it had been so long since I played Morrowind that I forgot you only got the +3 stat boost if you ACTUALLY CHOSE THAT STAT!). I'm not really getting into it, though, so I may just not bother with PC games until STALKER: Clear Sky comes out. I did want to play more project Snowblind, but the last time I tried it crashed when I was 80% through a mission, and the game didn't let me save midway. Blah.

Oh, and I finished Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance last weekend, which was cool, and started Radiant Dawn a little bit.

On my DS, I'm working through Final Fantasy 4 DS (third version I've played after the SNES and GBA ones), and playing Apollo Justice off-and-on. I'm also done the first week of The World Ends with You, which I'll probably pick back up after FF4 (unless Dragon Quest 4 comes first).

Pathologic is towing my brain into a flimsy abyss. Seriously, wahhhhhhh.

Permanently Enlarged
    PC:
    • Guild Wars: (All 3 Campaigns) Working on elite armors and grabbing cash for all of my characters.
    • GTA: Vice City: My first playthrough on the PC, much easier experience than on the Xbox, I gotta say.
    • The Witcher: On my second playthrough; this time trying to play a neutral character.
    • Sonic and Knuckles Collection: Found my old CD yesterday, gotta say I missed this game.
    • Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines: Recently got this, fairly entertaining.

x360:
    • Call of Duty 4: Playing on LIVE; lovin' the MP44!

Finished GTA:SA. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Vice City, though that may just be because I played VC first, but I certainly enjoyed it a lot.

Currently (re)playing I-War 2, which I never quite got around to finishing before my old computer went belly up. It's a very good game, but what I wouldn't give for a genuine Elite/ Privateer...

Occasional plays: Crusader Kings/ Deus Vult where my project to return England to its true, original and noble Saxon inhabitants from the oppressive grip of those vile pseudo froggy Normans has been suspended by three way battling Moroccan Arabs and the Mongol Horde on the coast of France. Buying this was the best $34.57 I've spent in ages. And:

Civ IV BTS. Much as I enjoy everything except the war aspects, this mainly reminds my how truly excellent SMAC was.

All PC, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    x360:
    • Call of Duty 4: Playing on LIVE; lovin' the MP44!
    Call of Duty 4 is modern. The MP44 was made in 1944, hence the designation. What are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Call of Duty 4 is modern. The MP44 was made in 1944, hence the designation. What are you talking about?
    He's talking about the MP44 that he's using in Call of Duty 4.

http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/314...4256726_rs.jpg

I'm currently giving the HL2 single-player mod MINERVA a whirl. Except for an absence of voice acting (which is to be expected), it's pretty solid and hasn't strayed from the HL2 look yet.

Page 1 of 387 123456111621263136414651101251 ... LastLast