TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New FM, The Minstrel, sort of released

New FM, The Minstrel, sort of released

The Minstrel
    A System Shock 2 fan mission by The Pixie

http://www.box.net/shared/01rae3qoma

Actually, it is an abandoned fan mission; it is nearly a year since I did anything to it, and I have finally admitted that I am not going to finish it. However, it does, by-and-large work, and I think will give people some enjoyment if they play it through. As far as I know everything works okay, you should be able to complete the mission and it hopefully will not crash. In theory, it should be pretty robust if you try to do things out of order, but it has not well tested at all (though Nameless_Voice and Zygoptera have looked at it and some of their comments have been acted on).

The most significant issues are:

1. System Shock does not work properly on my PC
    2. The water is pink (it was frustration with this issue that finished the project)
    3. No custom voices. You will have to watch carefully for incoming e-mails and read them to know what is going on. This would be fairly easy to fix if anyone was interested.
    4. I had the bright idea of trying to get AIs to patrol through doors, so I had to portalise with the doors open, then build the AI database, then close the doors and portalise again. It kind of worked, but was might tedious when editing.

Installation

I have packaged this as I would a Thief mission. Are there programs equivalent to DarkLoader for System Shock? If not, you will need to copy across the files, carefully noting the directory structure. Note that this WILL overwrite files, so you must back up your existing files (unless your DarkLoader equivalent does that for you).

Just on the off-chance that someone should want to pick up the baton and have a go at finishing this mission, I have included a file minstrel.rtf which documents some of the trap systems. You have my blessing.

WARNING: This mission does include flicking lights.

This mission does not support multi-player (it barely supports single player).

Known issue:

There are two elevators to E deck. Some have reported they are missing, but they work fine on my Win98 and WinXP PCs. There is an alternative route. Also most of the voices have yet to be done.

I have attempted to silence the usual System Shock voices; if you hear Shodan, et al, ignore them, and read the logs and emails instead,

Credits

Custom Model: Nameless_Voice, Christine, IceNine

Custom Scripts: Telliamed, Nameless_Voice

I was wondering what happened to this.

What do you mean by "System Shock does not work properly on [your] PC"?
    There shouldn't be any major issues that can't be solved with a few user patches these days.

I had a lot of fun with this, and it's good that it's seen the light of day as it was 99% finished and the only major bug I encountered may well have been the fault of my computer.

ZylonBane
    Why would patrolling through doors be a problem? I thought this was standard behavior in Thief and SS2.

And you could explain away pink water, in a log or something.

For example:
    "God damn that Leroy keeps dropping candy into the damn water which results in the entire water going pink after an hour or two. I`m going to frag that guy something but good, some day".

Creative debugging ITT.

Great, I was waiting for this mission

Quote Originally Posted by The Pixie View Post

Installation

I have packaged this as I would a Thief mission. Are there programs equivalent to DarkLoader for System Shock?
    It runs fine with the latest version of Darkloader (v4.3).

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Why would patrolling through doors be a problem? I thought this was standard behavior in Thief and SS2.
    I thought this too. But I have the same problem with the AI's in my new mission for Ponterbee Station. All friendly AI's refuses to use doors...

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post

Creative debugging ITT.
    Take the retard talk back to CommChat, kid.

I was enjoying this new FM, but then suddenly I developed a problem where the framerate slowed to a crawl. At first, I thought it might be because of the fact that ATI Radeon 2000+ series cards are apparently infamous for having slowdowns while using the latest DDFix. (Though, oddly enough, I've rarely if ever noticed any significant slowdowns in Thief 1/2 or SS2. I seem to be lucky.)

I tried quitting and reloading, to no avail. The game also would eventually crash. Which is something I'd never experienced before, either. The more I thought about it, the more I suspected it might be some kind of memory leak occurring, or similar. Slowdowns in games, followed by crashing, are a classic sign of that.

Although I was now crawling along at a snail's pace, and the game would ultimately crash - I kept trying to continue anyway. As I made my way to a certain area . . . lo and behold, there was my answer as to what was causing the problem.

Sorry, but I thought it was funny. I'm not sure what triggered that to happen. (It seemed as if it started around the time I went into the reactor core, probably too early.) But, unfortunately, it's made the mission unplayable. I guess I'll have to start over and hope that it doesn't happen again.
    Last edited by redrain85; 16th Aug 2008 at 09:47.

Be a spawning problem. Maybe the spawn points in that particular room were set too high. I`m no expert on those though.

I have a lot of fun with this mission
    Unfortunately I have the same problem like redrain 85. I made a screenshot before they killed me

I visited the garden, but never entered the reactor core. I'll guess, it's better to start over...

Pink water - sounds like you based your FM on an older version of ADaoB that had this bug.

Edit: Here Straylight describes how he fixed it.
    Last edited by Kolya; 17th Aug 2008 at 04:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I thought this too. But I have the same problem with the AI's in my new mission for Ponterbee Station.
    A new FM on the way? I thought the holiday one was your final one? Not that I`m complaining btw .

Just working on an Update for PonterbeeStation (with a new earth-level for the start)

Thanks for the fan mission Pixie.
    I had a great time playing but the hybrid respawn bug is also crashing my game.
    Has anyone been able to turn off the hybrid respawn so the mission can be finished?
    Or can anyone tell me how to do it?
    I would really like to finish the mission.

Just open the FM in dromed and delete the troublesome spawn points for an easy fix.

Hi all !

I am just discovering the small world of SS2 FM's. And for sure they are fun.
    But like many players before I can't play this one because the game slows down and freezes long before I have a chance to figure out what I need to do.

Is there a chance that the spawn-problem will be fixed ?
    For sure I will never be able to figure out how to do that myself via DromED.

Would someone be willing to upload the fixed mis-file or send it to me, PLEASE ?
    If the latter, please send a PM and I will respond with my email-address.

Thanks !
    Last edited by gnartsch; 7th Jun 2011 at 06:57.

Anyone who could provide the fixed mission-file, please ?

A fixed version is availlable !

gaspalorz was so kind to fix the respawning of AI that would crash the mission after a while.
    It can be downloaded here.
    Not an easy mission and it has some flaws, but it is worth playing anyway.

Zombified
    quite a lot of objects are missing from the currently available archive - any chance someone has the very first release backed up? maybe they will be there.

It doesn't look like the obj-folder has been changed in the newer version.

Zombified
    found most of the missing stuff elsewhere, the fixed up FM is now live: https://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=2850

Zombified
    almost can't believe this took another year, but anyway, the FM is now fixed up (meaning that all the really bad, really broken stuff should now either work properly, or not be in the game anymore. the FM has also received a small visual/functional tuneup, and it has been made compatible with the latest batch of mods), and fully voiced.

special thanks to the (TTLG) voice actors.
    Last edited by voodoo47; 13th Mar 2017 at 08:14.

Awesome stuff. Good work guys.

Zombified
    to anyone who might care - v1.03 full has just been posted, and I now consider the FM pretty much finished.