TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dark Mod: Unofficial FM by LordSavage for use with Thiefs Den Alpha

The Dark Mod: Unofficial FM by LordSavage for use with Thiefs Den Alpha

First Unofficial FM From non team member.

The team was surprised when a poster by the name of Lord Savage came out of the shadows on the Dark Mod forums to say he had used the Thiefs Den Alpha Assets to build a small Fan Mission. This was something we had hoped would happen, but after so much time passing...I think we lost that hope. Well, it has been renewed.

LordSavage built this map without any assistance from us. He dug in, read our wiki and produced his very first TDM map.

This is the first unofficial TDM map. It's short, and since it's built on the Alpha it is still glitchy. Regardless of length or glitches, it's fun...so do enjoy it.

I should also add, that since this is built on the alpha...and is not an official mission, we can't really provide any major support for it. If you need help, drop by our forums http://modetwo.net/darkmod and have a chat with Lord Savage and feel free to give him some feedback to help him make his next mission even better.

Approximate download size is well under a meg...try 53 kb.

To Play This Map:

You must have Doom 3 and Thiefs Den installed.

Extract the zip file. Place the map in the maps folder, inside the thiefs Den directory and the xd file in the xdata folder.

Start Thiefs Den, and bring down the console by hitting 'ctrl alt ~'. Type dmap closemouthed_shadows.

The map will compile. If the console disappears, bring it down again and type map closemouthed_shadows.

Play the map.

Here is the map:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/145873791/clos...hadows.zip.html

Screen shots

Last edited by New Horizon; 20th Sep 2008 at 10:57.

Clearinghouse
    Cool. THANK YOU!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Awesome! Now I have to install Doom3 and Thiefs Den on my new PC...

Keep in mind that it's short, and not an official TDM supported map. That said, Enjoy!

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Sure, but anything is better than nothing.

I'll see if I will work with GarrettLoader as well.

I'm flattered that someone has moved us to the Thief Fan Missions forum, but this isn't a Thief Fan Mission, it's a Dark Mod Fan Mission.

Oh well, as long as there is no confusion.

.... I think I'm going to need a bigger hard drive ......

Heh, no kidding

That's one of the little beauties of Dark Mod map files - they really just boil down to glorified txt files at the core, and since txt files can easily compress around 95%, the download sizes for just the maps alone can end up being extremely tiny.

In the future for normal FM releases though there are some essential other larger files that will make the downloads more "normal" sized
    "For the Love of the Game"

The Architect
    Why should you be flattered?
    Why should there be a distinction? Thief DS FMs go here. If someone made a Thief map for Team Fortress II, it would go here.
    I do not understand why anyone would be confused.
    I do not understand why this would have been put in Thief Gen in the first place.

Southquarter.com/fms
    I think I see what NH is saying. There are Thief mods for Oblivion, and they go in the Oblivion forum, right? However, in this case, TDM was always meant to emulate the original Thief games in way that TDS couldn't, so in the end, it does belong here. At least that's how I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Nightfall View Post
    Why should you be flattered?
    Why should there be a distinction? Thief DS FMs go here. If someone made a Thief map for Team Fortress II, it would go here.
    I do not understand why anyone would be confused.
    I do not understand why this would have been put in Thief Gen in the first place.
    Whoa, hold on. It was a compliment. All I meant was that for us it's an honour to be considered a part of the Thief FM community. We love this place. We're not quite used to being part of the fold quite yet and I didn't want to presume that a TDM FM should automatically be listed amongst official Thief FM's. Didn't want to come off all cocky. We're also not used to announcing FM's, this is the first one from an outside source. I'll know better for next time.

As for confusion...well, I'm sure you know better than I how a lot of people fail to 'read' on the internet. How often is the FAQ pointed out?

Wow, neato. Well that's cool Hopefully this will become normal (that is, unofficial FMS will become mainstream once TDM is in a more stable and polished state.)

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by potterr View Post
    I'll see if I will work with GarrettLoader as well.
    Hi Potter

Il be using the version that we are beta testing atm

biker

I can't get this to work...

I'm starting Thief's Den, bringing up the console and type "dmap closemouthed_shadows", but then the console says:
    "WARNING:Couldn't read map file: 'maps/closemouthed_shadows'"
    I've tried to write "map closemouthed_shadows" instead, but then it
    tells me that it can't find the map.

EDIT: I found the error myself, I had extracted the map to the root of the Doom3 directory.

Maybe you could tell in the main post that the files must be in the "Thief's Den" directory.

Nice mission BTW!

What I enjoyed the most was the rope arrow!!

Quote Originally Posted by seventyfour View Post
    Maybe you could tell in the main post that the files must be in the "Thief's Den" directory.
    That's a given, considering that there isn't a 'maps' folder in the root doom 3 directory and that the map is Thiefs Den dependent.

I'll add that to the instructions though.

Quote Originally Posted by seventyfour View Post
    Nice mission BTW!
    I don't think LordSavage posts here, but I'll pass that along. We're currently interviewing him for Beta Mapper Status.

Keeper of FMs

Congrats on the surprise TDM FM!! And, yes, it defintely belongs in this forum. That's really great. I can't wait to give it a try once I'm back at home. This is very exciting.

Cheers to LordSavage...hopefully this will be the first of many.

bikerdude
    Ok am I being stupid... because I cant find a way into any of the rooms

biker

Biker: check your shoes before you come in

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by vexd View Post
    Biker: check your shoes before you come in
    Straight after I posted I figured out how lol doh!

biker

Cool little mission, i really enjoyed it
    Good work Lord Savage

Anyone knows how much loot you can find in this cool little mission?

Got doom 3 and Thiefs den but cannot find maps folder or xdata folders in thiefs den got a maps folder in doom3 any other names for the folders in thiefs den?

^
    me neither.. i don't know why both explained it like that, but i just copied the 2 folders into the thief's den main folder and it worked