TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10th Anniversary Contest!

Southquarter.com/fms

10th Anniversary Contest!

Thief 10th Anniversary Contest

In honor of the upcoming 10th anniversary of the release of Thief: The Dark Project,

The Keep of Metal and Gold

and

Southquarter

are teaming up to present the “Thief Anniversary Contest” to the community.

The rules of the contest are as follows:

1. Dimensions: “64 Cube” - each entry must be completely contained within an area in Dromed no larger than 64 x 64 x 64 (or 262,144 total units), including all blue room content. This is a nod to The Keep's first Dromed contest held back in the fall of 2001.

2. Time: You will have two months to build your missions. Entries are due by November 23rd, and all missions will be released on November 30th, the 10th anniversary of Thief.

3. Theme: This is somewhat open, but we'd like all contestants to emphasize classic thief gameplay. Entrants should be inspired by the origins of the game - nothing too wacky or abstract. This is not the Crap Contest.

4. Restrictions: Besides size and theme, none. We are now allowing both T1 and T2 FMs. Also, any and all kinds of custom content are allowed.

5. Entries: Submit to Brethren, Redface or Shadak by the due date. Either email the mission to us, or send us a link where we can get it. Additional methods for submitting missions are listed on the contest page. More than one entry per contestant is allowed, but each one much be standalone (no campaigns, acts, chapters, etc).

6. Voting: After all the missions are released, voting will commence. Players will have one month to play the missions and vote, based on three categories: game play, design/technical, and plot/story. Details on how to vote will be announced after the submission deadline.

7. Prizes: Details on specifically what the prizes will be (we're working on getting some cool stuff) will follow soon. Prizes will be awarded for first, second, and third place overall.

There is a contest page up over at The Keep, click HERE.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
    Last edited by Brethren; 24th Sep 2008 at 23:58.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    WOOT! Thanks Komag and Brethren!

Hm. Now I need to try do decide between continuing to work on Shadowed Mayfield, or doing this competition.

Hmmmmmm. Decision, decisions.
    Between Dreams and Shadows - missions, objects, textures and more
    Missions: Shadowed Mayfield · Xavier's Library

I'm game! Hmmm...now I just need to figure out what my mission will be about....
    Last edited by Iceblade; 23rd Sep 2008 at 18:55.

Although at first glance this contest is somewhat similar to the recent/current Classic Thief Experience contest, there are some key differences:

- You need not emulate any particular OM, you can make something totally new. Of course if you would like to emulate an OM that's perfectly fine too (and maybe some of the original CTEC authors who had to drop out might try again with this contest).

- We have a small size limit to help you stoke your creativity, limit your scope and help you finish your mission without it growing beyond your control! I think the CTEC missions are great, very nice batch of FMs, but some of the authors weren't able to finish because they "bit off more than they could chew" so to speak.

- You can (and are encouraged to) use custom content, such as new textures and objects and AI and stuff. We feel it's still possible to capture that good Thief game play feel while making a mission with all new settings and ideas, and with the improved look of new content.

Also, just to be more clear, we fully encourage innovation and creativity when making your contest missions! If you want to you can make cool new inventions, machines, techniques, tricks, etc. The rules about avoiding weird stuff are meant to dissuade you from making your WHOLE MISSION only about the weird stuff. But if your mission has a lot of good game play, it can certainly include some crazy stuff in it as well to spice things up! Hope that helps!
    "For the Love of the Game"

What about the default box at 0,0,0? Can my 64^3 area be away from there, or do i have to incorporate those coordinates so that all the stuff that gets stored there stays within the game world?

That is surely a footnote. No rules are going to force you to build over 0,0,0 because you just shouldn't do that. ... Not to put words in the mouths of the powers-that-be; but I would be surprised if they didn't allow for that.

Would have never thought of that question! No, you certainly don't have to build at 0,0,0, build far away from it, maybe like from 500,500,500 to 564,564,564
    "For the Love of the Game"

Uh...actually I'm surprised that wasn't in the FAQ, but I know that question has been asked and maybe even covered in the rules of previous contests. No, whatever is at 0,0,0 will not be counted (as long it is just the usual things that dromed loves to put there like apparition shots and such).

Southquarter.com/fms
    Woah, I'm very confused as to why this is such an issue. No mention was ever made of having to build at 0,0,0. You can of course build there if you like, but you do so at your own risk. This would apply to any contest that's ever been held (as well as any FM ever created since the beginning of dromed!)

Clearinghouse
    Brethren, maybe on the main page Southquarter add something look like this:

Last edited by clearing; 25th Sep 2008 at 05:11.

I'm always glad to see a new contest as we always get interesting missions from them. I stickied this so everyone would see it but could you open a thread at the Editor's Guild for the technical stuff, please?

Clearinghouse
    There's a thread at the Editor's Guild: http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123076

Excellent!

The deadline works great as it is right before Thanksgiving...my busiest time what with all the papers and exams.

Quote Originally Posted by Brethren View Post
    Woah, I'm very confused as to why this is such an issue. No mention was ever made of having to build at 0,0,0. You can of course build there if you like, but you do so at your own risk.
    I think the question is if people are allowed to put a roombrushed blue room at 0, 0, 0 to contain all the junk that DromEd loves to dump there.

Clearinghouse
    all missions will be released on November 30th, the 10th anniversary of Thief.
    TDP release November 30?
    http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project US release 3 December 1998.

Finally a contest I have real chances to participate in. I already have an idea for the mission .

Quote Originally Posted by clearing View Post
    TDP release November 30?
    http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Thief:_The_Dark_Project US release 3 December 1998.
    Do people who are not living in the US have until the release date in their country to get their entries in?

According to Wikipedia and Gamespot, the US release date was 30 November.

According to ign.com it's 3rd December...
    Last edited by Dussander; 24th Sep 2008 at 08:09.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Interesting. Remember, the wikia guys are just fans, so they have no official ties to the game. I was going by the wikipedia date,which granted, isn't always the best idea either. Looking back at a calendar, 11/30 was on a Monday and 12/3 was a Thursday - seems that Monday is the more likely date, but you never know. I think we'll stick with the 11/30 date unless someone can come up with some overwhelmingly solid evidence to the contrary.

Desperately dodgy geezer
    Gamespot's date should be pretty reliable.

1. Dimensions: “64 Cube” - each entry must be completely contained within an area in Dromed no larger than 64 x 64 x 64 (or 262,144 total units), including all blue room content. This is a nod to The Keep's first Dromed contest held back in the fall of 2001.
    It occurs to me that this is slightly vague. You imply (but do not explicitly state) that the dimensions must be 64x64x64. There might be some confusion as to whether this means 64x64x64 or any combination of the same size (e.g. 128x64x32), so you should make sure to clarify that.

For Thief 2? WTF? It's disrespect to Thief 1 with tons of T2 FMs and very few of T1 ones. It's Thief 1 anniversary and the missions should be for only Thief 1.

Southquarter.com/fms
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Cat View Post
    For Thief 2? WTF? It's disrespect to Thief 1 with tons of T2 FMs and very few of T1 ones. It's Thief 1 anniversary and the missions should be for only Thief 1.
    I disagree. We're celebrating the Thief games as a whole. Yes, TDP started it all but the greater majority of people create (and play) missions for T2 these days. If you limit the contest to only T1 FMs, I'm guessing you wouldn't get many entries. Take a look at how many T1 FMs have been released in the past year or two and you'll see what I mean.