TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: Material Museum - a texture demo

Material Museum - a texture demo

Well, this is a kind of example, application of all those theories you saw in here and here. Some of those materials may look a bit weird, as cubemaps rotate with the objects, but I used rotation to make the effect more apparent. I guess this is still a work in progress, this method should be improved, as all surfaces tend to look a bit "metallic", which looks wrong sometimes.

Unfortunately, high-res textures and normalmaps mean big .ibt file size - I couldn't compress it below 100 mb

Links:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/14905627..._demo.zip.html
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/oxf10g

Clearinghouse
    Interesting. Judith, it would be good to see some screenies or video

It's a GarrettLoader-ready FM, so you can even make them yourself. However, the quality won't be good enough to show the little effects.

@Judith: Looks great, thank you. At first I had expected something like a Roman pool reflecting the columns around, but maybe I'm still not sensitive enough for these things. One question although you might have answered it already in your tutorials: Since the reflections are mostly very blurry, would you need photos from the room this surface/object was placed in or would some simpler texture with a certain structure suffice (i.e. something standard everyone could use?

Thanks. As it goes for the type of the texture - it's your choice really, it depends on what you want to achieve. If you really need to reflect the surroundings in detail, you'd have to capture all the views for the cubemap. Personally, I think it's not necessary. It would be better to use something more simple, like "rendered clouds" in photoshop or gimp (or any other grayscale, tiling image), or some abstract image, just to give the feeling that something is being reflected.

It's also size-wise, because if you really want to have a nice detailed cubemap image, you should keep it 1024x (this mountain landscape is exactly this size). Additionally, to achieve best results you would keep it uncompressed, which is a disaster, really: six uncompressed 1024x images in a cubemap = over 18 mb. Let's say you'll have 2-3 cubemaps like this and your mission won't fit on a CD .
    Last edited by Judith; 29th Sep 2008 at 07:19.

Clearinghouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg Cúthalion View Post
    It's a GarrettLoader-ready FM, so you can even make them yourself.
    Okay.
    Thanks, Judith!

And I thank you for the info on your site

Clearinghouse
    Last edited by clearing; 2nd Oct 2008 at 12:00. Reason: link

Keeper of FMs

Mirrors:
    http://www.thief-thecircle.com/download.asp?fid=1386

Judith,
    Hiatus brought this to my attention as it didn't appear on my Third Quarter FM Review. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I don't visit the Editors' Guilds much, or I'd have had a news post up already. Look for one later today with some screenshots. Unfortunately, most of these need to be seen live to be fully appreciated. Nice work!

Thanks, Pavlovscat I didn't advertise this one too much as it's quite bulky, and I just thought that Thief fans wouldn't have much use from it

Keeper of FMs

All that work shouldn't go unnoticed by the rest of the community. Those textures are amazing! Hopefully, we'll see some in a mission soon.

Thanks again for your detailed entry at The Circle, it's very kind of you

Clearinghouse
    Keep up the good work, Judith

Keeper of FMs

Heh! I checked the download count and there have been 32 downloads already! I guess more people were interested than you realized!

Looks very good! Nice work, Judith!

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovscat View Post
    Heh! I checked the download count and there have been 32 downloads already! I guess more people were interested than you realized!
    That's really nice, looks like people weren't discouraged by the size of this demo . Fortunately it's size doesn't mean that e.g. mission twice or 4 times the size of the museum would be 200 or 400 mb. I actually have a first part of my mission, a city section which is much, much larger than this and it's below 200 mb. So it surely depends on the variety and size of new textures used, but the rest (bsp, static meshes, scripts, navmesh, etc.) doesn't increase the mission size to such extent .

Size doesn't matter. I am looking for quality and realistic graphics. The glass window really impressed me! Transparent windows in thief - that's amazing. The brick wall - that's what I call a very realistic look. The mountain is cool. The others are impressive, too. But that window... Oh man, I cannot wait to play missions with such graphics. Thanks for your efforts! You keep Thief alive.

P.S.:Of course, the gameplay is very important, not only the graphics. That's why Thief is my favorite game, not Assassin's Creed.
    Last edited by pwyll; 14th Oct 2008 at 10:13.

Sometimes I want to bleed to death while on mapping crapstatic pieces of worthless scenarios I make, sometimes I like what I see and do.