TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile

Thread: GIMP Tutorial On Custom Textures

GIMP Tutorial On Custom Textures

This tutorial is a step by step instructional tut on how to do everything to get your custom texture ready and imported into DromEd using the freeware program GIMP. After spending the last 3 hours dinking around just to get my texture into DromEd I thought I would take the time to write this little diddy considering I couldn't find a suitable tut anywhere that wasn't for Photoshop which I don't have and didn't want to download.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Before You Get Started:

In this tutorial I will be using gimp, gimp is free to download and can be found here www.gimp.org.

Its the closest thing to Photoshop that I've found that's freeware based and has the tools that you would want to use to deal with images.

Next your going to need to get a hold of a pre-existing texture I won't be taking you through making your own textures from scratch
    you can find other resources for that.

You can get some textures from here if you don't already have something in mind http://www.yourdailytexture.com/ that's where I got my texture from.

Now that you have all that lets get started.

Getting Started With Gimp:

First lets open up Gimp.

Now for this tutorial we are just going to convert an existing texture into the size we need and mess around with it so we can import it into DromEd.

At the end of the tutorial I'll go over some basics about using layers to change other peoples textures and make them look different for your level.

Now that you have Gimp open lets take a look around.

First thing you'll notice is that the program starts you off in windowed mode, this might be weird at first but trust me it will help out later on
    when you've got the different tool windows (referred to as dialog boxes for gimp) open.

You'll notice in your task bar there are two windows open. One is the toolbox and the other is the GNU Image Manipulation Program, you should
    also see these two windows clearly displayed and labeled.

Opening Your Texture File:

Go ahead and go to the GNU and go to File < Open and find the downloaded texture and open it up.

Ok first lets take a look at what kind of image we have.

Go to Image < Image Properties which is at the very bottom of this menu.

This will bring a description of your image it will tell you how big it is what resolution its at etc etc.

Now one thing to note is color space, this is essentially telling you whether it has a specific palette assigned to it or not.

If this says anything other than indexed than the answer to that is no.

Basically a palette for images is just like a color palette for artists it tells the program what colors can be used to modify the image and is also a list of colors that the image uses.

Make a note of the size of your image, if its 64x64 pixels than your good to go (your texture can be anywhere from 64 to 256 pixels I believe no doubt someone will correct me on this but for most textures 64 x 64 will be fine). For this tutorial we will assume that your image is not the correct size however.

From here you have a couple options you can simply resize your image or you can cut and paste, resizing can sometimes make images look like crap depending on what it is but lets assume that your picture won't suffer from being resized.

Resizing Your Image:

To resize your image go to Image < Scale Image, now you have a new window "Scale Image" from here you should see 5 things width and height in pixels and resolution for x and y in pixels/in and interpolation don't mess with interpolation.

Now you will notice what looks like a chain to the right of your width and height numbers this tells the program whether it should keep the number in proportion or not. So if you have a 64 x 64 image that image is setup as a 1 to 1 ratio so if you change one number to be 32 then the other auto changes to 32 as well to keep in proportion with the other.

So you may need to turn this off or on depending on what size your image is to get it to the desired size by default it is always on, rezise your image so that it is 64 x 64 pixels and we'll move on.

When your done resizing don't exit yet, lets move on to resolution from here lets change resolution to 128 by 128 pixels per inch.

Now hit scale and your image has changed to the size you told it to, if your not sure whether scaling worked or not you can do what we did in the beginning and go to Image < Image Properties and check on the size of your image.

Cutting and Pasting Larger Textures That Won't Stand Up To Resizing:

Lets say that the image you have is large and resizing it just wouldn't do as its a large image of bricks. Well if you go to the toolbox window and pull out the rectangle tool which is the first tool on the top left hand corner of the toolbox window you can cut out a swatch of texture.

When you have the Rectangle Tool selected and you move your cursor onto the image and you click and drag you will notice at the bottom of the GNU window that it will tell you how big of an area you are cutting. So you can cut it to whatever size you want.

Once you have your area selected just right click and go down to Edit and then to Cut. Now go up to File < Create and there will be an option to create from the Clipboard this is what you want to do.

VOILA! A new image from what you selected.

Changing Image Modes In Gimp:

Now that your image is the right size and resolution lets move on to setting up the image in Indexed mode. Go to Image < Mode < Indexed.

This brings up yet another new window go ahead and click on the option that says generate optimum pallette, max colors should be set at 256.

Make sure dithering is set to "Floyd - Steinberg (normal)" (this is basically just "diffusion" and I'm not sure why they call it that) and then hit convert.

Creating A Palette In Gimp:

Now we need to make a palette for your image. Now I'm going to go onto a rabbit trail here and give a short explanation so you don't get confused, if you are simply dealing with one new texture just keep following these steps. If you are dealing with more than one texture I will go over that after I talk about single textures.

To create a palette from your image that you have go up to Windows < Dockable Dialogs < Palettes. Yet another new window "Palettes".

Listed are all the default palettes that come with gimp. Now lets make a new one LEFT CLICK in the list and it will give you a pull down menu.

Choose Import Palette and yet ANOTHER new window comes up now choose the option to import from an image and you should see your image right there in a small preview window. Now click on the Import button.

Now there is a new Palette in the list with your images name on it. If you really care you can change the palette name but honestly who cares its the same name as the image and you should be able to recognize it.

Applying Your Palette To Your Image:

Now you can get out of the palette window and we have to mess around with the image mode again. Go back up to Image < Mode < and choose RGB then go back and change it back to indexed. Now in the window that comes up choose to use custom palette and choose your new palette from the list. Now your image is using your new
    palette.

Now if you have multiple textures you will have to do that same process for all of them. Assigning that one Palette to each texture in the family. Be forewarned though if you have a texture that uses greens and you assign a palette to it that doesn't have any greens in it than the resulting image will have all of its greens replaced with other colors. So make sure your textures and palettes match up.

Saving:

Now you will want to save. In order to get your textures into dromed to use you will need to set up a new folder in your thief 2 directory. In the Main Thief 2 directory create a folder if you don't already have one called fam and then within that folder create another folder with the name of your new family. Now that thats done you can save your new texture. When you save your new texture you will want to save it as a .pcx you can simply type in the file type at the end of the name of your texture and gimp will save it as that format. Save your texture with its unique name IF this is the only texture you wanted to import with this fam you will want to resave your image and then call the second one full.pcx.

IF you wanted to import multiple textures with that family than you will need to create an image that uses your entire palette for that family. with gimp that shouldn't be hard as you can draw a single pixel for each color. It might be a bit tedious though. From what I understand there is a program called Bright 183 that you can get that will help you with large groups of textures and paletting them all. However I haven't gotten that far into this whole thing to know whats going on with it yet. When and if I do I'll certainly make amendments to this.

Importing Into DromEd:

Now open up dromed, open your level and type add_family and then the name of your family in the command console and it will import your new texture/family. ie "add_family sewer" (without quotes of course and sewer being the name of my family that I wanted to import)

Thats it! I want to thank all those who came before me and gave their expertise on this subject. Hope this helps.
    ------------------------------------------
    Leave questions comments and any errors you find with this tutorial here and I'll make amendments.
    Last edited by Hatching-a-plan; 12th Oct 2008 at 03:07.