TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Full interview and exclusive screens in the new issue of Edge

ZylonBane

Full interview and exclusive screens in the new issue of Edge

http://www.edge-online.com/news/deus...-deus-ex-3-dev
    In an interview with Edge magazine, published tomorrow, [Deus Ex 3 lead game designer] Jean-Francois Dugas says the original Deus Ex was “kind of slow”. He added, “There weren’t enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience.”
    I think I want to hurt this man.

The Architect
    You need to think about it? You definitely want to hurt that man.

Seriously, what's wrong with people these days? They have a perfect example of a game that worked and is loved by the fans to this day. What do they do? Put their hands over their ears and go "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA". And the use a third hand to stick a finger.

I can't believe it. What hapenned to the people's brain in the last 6 years?.

Funny, I came here to link to the same article and make the same comment.

My hopes for this game are suddenly not what they used to be.

You gotta love what follows immediately after

But he said developer Eidos Montreal would not attempt to dumb down the much-loved RPG-shooter franchise.

With a mindset like that? Yeah right

It really doesn't make sense. They already know that Deus Ex was very popular, there is a large amount of interest in the 3rd game precisely because of that, it was game of the year and is constantly on everyone's top games ever, why do they feel the need to intentionally fuck it up?

Is it ego? Does everyone think they can do better so nobody is capable of making an accurate successor to a game? Do the people who make games actually like games or do they hate them and want to ruin them for everyone? It really feels like the latter and I'm not sure why.

I also like the concept that a game that takes TIME is somehow a bad thing.

"yeah, DX took too long: we want to make a game you finish in an afternoon, so you can get back to buying even more 'gears of war' clones."

"But he said developer Eidos Montreal would not attempt to dumb down the much-loved RPG-shooter franchise."

This is very misleading in my opinion. All that is meant by what he said is that the PC version and any console version will be very simular. This has nothing to do with the "gameplay" being changed. So he is free to change the original flow of the game.

"In an interview with Edge magazine, published tomorrow, [Deus Ex 3 lead game designer] Jean-Francois Dugas says the original Deus Ex was “kind of slow”. He added, “There weren’t enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience.”

If this is his experience of DX then the game is in trouble. I feel as if he does not like DX and that will have a profound negative affect on DX3. For that he should be canned. We need someone with passion for the game. We do not need someone who was not pleased with the game experience or most likely with his comment "a simulation rather than a game experience" does not understand the game play. That particular comment does strike me as him wanting to make it even more shooter such as half life (more shooting than story) and making it a shorter game like gears of war.

I feel very angered by his comments and I wish he knew how much it pisses people off. I doubt he would even care.

I'm not surprised they see a few things they can change to make it "better" from their POV. This is what happens when a franchise is turned over to a completely different team. It would be nice if the DX3 developers were die hard fans of the original, but it's unrealistic to expect them to be.

I'm very pessimistic because the PC centric "old guard" of the games industry is gradually being replaced by younger console oriented developers. It's going to get harder and harder to find people in the industry who like the same kind of games we do.

Plus it seems that game designers are starting to fancy themselves like movie directors, crafting a tightly controlled, almost cinematic game experience for the player.

Christ, there goes my last hope for this game down the drain.

Being a slow and deliberate "simulation" was the whole fucking point of DX1. It was almost like playing a 3-D adventure game, with some decent FPS action sequences along the way. Any attempt to remove the simulation elements in favor of more action, will destroy in DX3 what made the original such a landmark title.

They keep saying they don't want to repeat the mistakes of Invisible War. Yet, they keep doing just that.

And I'm not buying the "we were quoted out of context" argument.

JF said: “There weren’t enough exciting, memorable moments. It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience.”
    Edge headline: “the first Deus Ex was "kinda slow".”
    To me, both statements do equate to the same thing. It's just that the first one was worded much more carefully.
    Last edited by redrain85; 22nd Oct 2008 at 15:32. Reason: clarification

ZylonBane

Eidos Montreal
    Hi all,

I'll probably get ripped for posting here but I'll go ahead.

JF isn't bashing Deus Ex. Everyone knows DX is an awesome game and most people here are real fans of it. Heck, JF has personally met with Warren, Harvey, Sheldon, etc to talk about Deus Ex! When he's referring to memorable moments, he just wants more of the significant ones, not less of the subtle ones, which DX3 like DX1 has. As good as DX1 was/is, it is very "even" with its narrative. In DX3, we are keeping those low-level revelations but also trying to deliver on bigger ones too. The "kinda slow" comment takes things out of perspective since DX3, like the originals, can be played differently depending on your style. The pace of the game is largely determined by your play style.

I dunno. I know there's not much I can say since my words are hollow without evidence to back it up. Evidence which we can't release yet due to the magazine exclusivity period. I just hope people wait to read things in depth rather than sound bites before making up their mind, and wait to see the game in action.

René

while I'm not surprised one single bit and totally expected this, I still feel the urge to strangle these kniggits everytime I read something like this. The smell of elderberris is excruciating.

as for him not bashing DX, I'll just quote his "It was aimed more towards a simulation rather than a game experience", as if it was a bad thing. An epic fail of understanding an important core element of games like system shock, thief, dx.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by René View Post
    Hi all,

Don't be silly. We only devour the dev reps after the game is released.

When he's referring to memorable moments, he just wants more of the significant ones, not less of the subtle ones, which DX3 like DX1 has. As good as DX1 was/is, it is very "even" with its narrative.
    Don't suppose you'd care to enlighten us as to what you consider a 'significant' memorable moment? I mean, I can think of a metric ton of memorable moments in DX, almost all of which were either dramatic or thought-provoking enough to be considered significant, but that's me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZylonBane View Post
    Don't be silly. We only devour the dev reps after the game is released.
    Until then, we will love you, and respect you, and sing your praises to the heavens.

ZylonBane
    Quote Originally Posted by DDL View Post
    Don't suppose you'd care to enlighten us as to what you consider a 'significant' memorable moment? I mean, I can think of a metric ton of memorable moments in DX, almost all of which were either dramatic or thought-provoking enough to be considered significant, but that's me.
    DX3 will have so many memorable moments, you won't even be able to remember them all! Extreme to the max!!!

That is the kind of thing it seems to suggest, though i don't know. I just hope they don't make it over the top like that. You have to realise, it's the little choices that make deus ex, the small subplots of everyday folk's lives and such. If the plot becomes as silly and exaggerated as what I remember from watching series 4 of 24 in one day (I haven't seen any other of them so can't compare).

Mind you wasn't invisible war meant to be silly but in a different way - I still haven't got round to playing the full game yet (just demo) but some people mentioned coffee wars or something? :S

Quote Originally Posted by heywood View Post
    It would be nice if the DX3 developers were die hard fans of the original, but it's unrealistic to expect them to be.
    Excuse me? It should be a fucking requirement.

Sorry Rene, but I don't believe you. Most people here are tired of great franchises dumbed down for the f*** consolisation. I think that editors and developers hate the words "inmersive, clever, deep, story, cooperative multiplay" in modern videogames, and it seems that game media also is contaminated with those thoughts.
    Gamers are not brainless people, not all the gamers are teenagers looking for super graphics and superb explosions and destruction, there is many gamers in his 30's who looks for videogames which does not treaten him as stupids. Deus Ex was a masterpiece and now your lead designer says that is was slow. What the hell means slow?. It has a great story with amazing characters. It was a great game for the atmosphere, deep story, characters, inmersion and rythm. And many other things.
    And now, the DX3 lead designer says that it was kinda slow. What do you think that DX fans could expect?. Another retard FPS?.
    You have the DXIW example, it was a failure. It sold bad, it was not good for casual games, it was not good for DX fans... why don't you create a game better than DX1?, Why don't explore and improve the good things in DX1 and create a deeper game?.
    DX3 will have auto-health, it will not be so "slow" like DX1, stealth system does not take account the lights, only LOS and sound... What could we expect?.

No one care to even notice that based on this snippet, the PC seems to be the main platform? I mean, console versions are not even confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by van HellSing View Post
    the PC seems to be the main platform?
    He's not saying he's not sure if there will be a console version, he's just saying he's not sure on which console it will be available. Will it be only for the 360 or both for the 360 and PS3?

Edit: BTW, ZylonBane, sadly, your Monty Python reference is worth a thousand words.

"if we're to go console"

Now, of course I'm sure there will be a console version, but the article really gives the vibe that the PC is primary.

Hi all,

JF isn't bashing Deus Ex. Everyone knows DX is an awesome game and most people here are real fans of it. Heck, JF has personally met with Warren, Harvey, Sheldon, etc to talk about Deus Ex! When he's referring to memorable moments, he just wants more of the significant ones, not less of the subtle ones, which DX3 like DX1 has. As good as DX1 was/is, it is very "even" with its narrative. In DX3, we are keeping those low-level revelations but also trying to deliver on bigger ones too. The "kinda slow" comment takes things out of perspective since DX3, like the originals, can be played differently depending on your style. The pace of the game is largely determined by your play style.

I dunno. I know there's not much I can say since my words are hollow without evidence to back it up. Evidence which we can't release yet due to the magazine exclusivity period. I just hope people wait to read things in depth rather than sound bites before making up their mind, and wait to see the game in action.

René
    Until you double cross us and we feel totally disenfranchised (again) we will greatly appreciate any inside information. I'm slightly saddened that perhaps dev's do think that they will get flamed here for trying to offer up perspective, because most of us honestly appreciate it. Needless flaming will be frowned upon by the moderate majority, so thanks for the info!

It would be nice to have some concrete examples of what were slow moments and what were significant moments. The last game that we got ourselves excited about (and was a significant letdown) was Bioshock, and there were parts that felt like it was trying a little too hard to be dramatic. I think a game has to be able to rely on the world that its based in rather than just a bunch of strung together "holy shit" moments, so I hope that it isn't like Bioshock in that respect.