TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891419242934 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    No you don't, in-game text does work. (hit the letter t on your keyboard when in-game.) But yeah, voice would be easier.
    oh, how cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    This problem has me stumped at the moment. It can be worked around in fan missions by not linking objects to the starting point and instead allowing players to pick them up in game, but that won't solve it in the original missions and is a pretty clumsy fix. Hopefully I'll find some way to fix it eventually.
    i tested a little today, and got a bugfix for that

you have to create more than one starting point marker, one for each player.
    i tested that with 2 and created a playerfactory link from each of them to "garrett".
    then i set the link data on the first point to 1, on the second to 2

now the host starts at the marker with data 1, and the client on 2.
    and both markers can have their own starting inventory

Quote Originally Posted by TypeRED View Post
    i tested a little today, and got a bugfix for that

i tested that with 2 and created a playerfactory link from each of them to "garrett".

now the host starts at the marker with data 1, and the client on 2.
    and both markers can have their own starting inventory
    That sounds excellent!

Another question: Is the host the only person, who can finish the mission?

About "Equilibrium": We had almost no problems playing it. Only at the end the elevator did not function to me (I was the client). The Hot could use it and finish the map...

Let me explain the chat menu bug: When you start Thief 2, you get another application where you can connect to the host. There you can also chat with the other players if they are connected (The window where you find the message "Dainem connected" or "connection timed out".) In this chat menu, every other player has the same Nick as you. This looks like that:

Gecko connected.
    Dainem connected.
    Dainem: Hello Gecko.
    Dainem: Hello Dainem.
    Dainem: Hey, stop using my Nick name!
    Dainem: What, YOU are using my nickname!
    Master_ED connected.
    Dainem: Hello everybody!
    Dainem: Oh no, not another one!
    Dainem: Hey, who said this?
    Dainem: Me.
    Dainem Which "Me"?
    Dainem: Me, Gecko...
    and so on... (Its quite funny to have multiple personalities but it would be helpful to see the real other names.)
    When you use the in-game-chat-menu the names are shown correctly... This Bug appears always.

Dainem

I apologise in advance if the question has already been asked or if it's too early to talk about it, but did you think about a multiplayer where one player would play the thief, and another could toggle between guards and control them, the aim of course being to catch the thief ? Or even lots of players playing guards, plus one or two thieves...I just can't figure out the delightful mess it would be on TeamSpeak !

Ok, I admit I figured it out. I'm waiting with the eagerness of the new-born child waking to the mysteries of life ! *Hrem* That is all.

jtr7
    That's not available with this, because it's strictly linked to Garrett, but Thievery allows you to choose to play as a thief or a guard. It's been thought of, yes, many times, but it's still a dream yet to be realised.

With this, everybody is a copy of the same Garrett, all starting at the same point.

Nothing to stop people "just playing like a guard", though ...

Figuring out whether a particular Garrett avatar is a thief or a guard, is, of course, part of the fun.

(Especially considering the fact that everyone has the same Nick in the chat menu. And there are, I presume, no private messages.)

jtr7
    How traitorous! Yes, 'tis true. It'll work best if everyone splits up, or someone creates the multiple starting points, or sets up teleporters to other locations.

Amazing! That does indeed work. This should fix the inventory problems on new missions designed specifically for multiplayer, though it will still be a problem in existing ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    Another question: Is the host the only person, who can finish the mission?
    Anyone should be able to complete the mission. The host is responsible for actually notifying the clients that the mission has ended, but since objectives are shared between all players, any player completing the last objective should trigger the end of the mission for everyone.

In this chat menu, every other player has the same Nick as you...
    You're right, I hadn't noticed that. It should only happen when you're chatting before the game starts, though. The Dark engine links player names to player objects, and you obviously don't have one until the mission has started. Regardless, I now have T2 MP maintaining its own database of player names separately from player objects, so the problem will be fixed in the next release.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightstroll View Post
    I apologise in advance if the question has already been asked or if it's too early to talk about it, but did you think about a multiplayer where one player would play the thief, and another could toggle between guards and control them, the aim of course being to catch the thief ? Or even lots of players playing guards, plus one or two thieves...I just can't figure out the delightful mess it would be on TeamSpeak !
    That may indeed be possible eventually, as long as it's possible to put players on the same team as the AI guards (which I'm almost certain it is).

As far as progress on the next release goes, I've just added an option to allow players to change their avatar. The selection's a bit limited though since I can only add ones that don't have some sort of weapon as part of their model for obvious reasons (which excludes all of the guard models); you can choose to play as Garrett, a Keeper, a servant, or a thief right now.

There are a few unarmed female models I could throw in as avatars as well, if I can figure out how to change the player's voice. Anyone know how this would be done ordinarily through DromEd? I assume it's not hardcoded...

Permanently Enlarged
    Something involving voice schemas, methinks.

Maybe you could ask the taffers over at T2X to borrow their protagonist's voice assets for such things.

Amazing! That does indeed work. This should fix the inventory problems on new missions designed specifically for multiplayer, though it will still be a problem in existing ones.
    It would be easy to make a MP-compliant version of existing FMs, though, at least as far as that's concerned ... You could ask for permission from the authors, and I'm sure a lot of them would be willing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    I've just added an option to allow players to change their avatar.
    AWESOME. tdbonko created some AI without swords, so it could be possible to have guards. Of course, it would require you to have his pack though.

Tos, with your permission, I could upload the beta patch to moddb if you want. Could be used as a mirror.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 1st Dec 2008 at 23:10.

Congratulations!

Well!

I go away for a few days, and THIS is what happens!
    Tos and vort, my hat comes off to both of you. Extremely well done, those taffers.

Now, time to run home and get patching!

(By the way: this project really feels like it needs a website - where people can post their address details, and latest releases, and log bugs. Just so you don't have to wade through these threads to find everything. Happy to help with that if needed.)

As far as progress on the next release goes, I've just added an option to allow players to change their avatar. The selection's a bit limited though since I can only add ones that don't have some sort of weapon as part of their model for obvious reasons (which excludes all of the guard models); you can choose to play as Garrett, a Keeper, a servant, or a thief right now.
    Some Mechanist and Hammerite unharmed models already exist, most of them created by players. And there's also all the priests, who don't wield any weapon.

and you could add Basso the Boxman.

bikerdude
    Hi TOS

Can I ask when the next update will be...?

thanks

biker

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    and you could add Basso the Boxman.
    And what about Viktoria ?!?

Ok, shes not stealthy but it would be fun to play with your girlfriend.

i've encountered another problem, sometimes there is like an invisible wall on clientside where arrows get stuck in air and players cant get through

please do some research to fix that, thanks

Just tested the different starting positions for two players. Works fine!

A question: If you hide in the shadows your avatar becomes transparent for the other players. Can you modify this in a way that the avatar becomes totally invinsible?

Dainem

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    Just tested the different starting positions for two players. Works fine!

A question: If you hide in the shadows your avatar becomes transparent for the other players. Can you modify this in a way that the avatar becomes totally invinsible?

Dainem

open the "THiefMP.ini" and change the lines

[Transparency]
    DistanceModifier=50
    VisCapMin=0.65

[Transparency]
    DistanceModifier=5
    VisCapMin=0.01

That would make it pretty realistic. Just checked it out, works awesome. Now I understand why the guards are so nervous when a thief literally vanishes in shadows.

typeRED, do you mean where like say a water arrow is floating in mid air and is unpick-upable? if so, I already mentioned that. Also, since you are here, are you still working on your ThiefKart project? I think it would be awesome to play some thiefkart with taffers using multiplayer system.

edit

Interesting, I was checking out the default avatars' props in dromed 2, and I noticed they all have a model of Sheriff.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 3rd Dec 2008 at 01:51.

@Tos: It's impossible to play with more than 2 clients.

@ sNeaksieGarrett,
    what you said about water arrows happens to me very often, but with all types of arrows.

when they are released from the bow of a client, they fly correct on the host pc, but on the client pc, they just stick on some invisible wall.
    and the client player cant move past it. and if the client shoots more arrows in other directions, another wall comes up in front of the player, causing fire or gas arrows to explode instantly. but they stick there after exploding, same as the other arrows.

my ThiefKart project it still in developement, i have restored the stuff i lost,
    and got the system working again. i just need to fix some bugs to release a demo. and the game menu needs to be changed, because a lot of commands in the options screen are no longer needed, i have to edit the executable to remove them.

btw, has anyone checked that the thief2.exe from the MP patch is noCD cracked? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    open the "THiefMP.ini" and change the lines...
    I probably should have added something to the readme about this and a few other undocumented settings. Keep in mind however that this will only affect transparency on your end -- other players will still have the default transparency settings unless they change them as well, even if you're hosting the game. I may change this in the future.

Also, while I'm on the subject, there are a number of console commands available that I didn't mention either. You can display a list of them by typing /help in the multiplayer window. Most of them were created to help me during testing, so not all of them may work (or be particularly useful anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Hi TOS

Can I ask when the next update will be...?

thanks

biker
    Within the next few days, hopefully. Possibly even today, depending on how things go.

I've been working on finishing the global server for T2 MP that I mentioned earlier. I decided to scrap most of the work I'd done on the old one since it wasn't really shaping up too well, and have a new design that seems to be going much better so far.

The client server browser is nearly complete, but there's still more work to be done on the global server app itself. I don't know whether this will make it into the next release or not, but I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsung View Post
    @Tos: It's impossible to play with more than 2 clients.
    Are you unable to play with more than three players (a host and two clients) or just two? Could you be a bit more specific about what happens when you do?

when they are released from the bow of a client, they fly correct on the host pc, but on the client pc, they just stick on some invisible wall.
    and the client player cant move past it. and if the client shoots more arrows in other directions, another wall comes up in front of the player, causing fire or gas arrows to explode instantly. but they stick there after exploding, same as the other arrows.
    I suspect that this problem is being caused by something I've already fixed in the current build, but I'm not sure. If it isn't, then I don't know when it will be fixed -- intermittent problems like this are very difficult to track down without the source code. Any information you can give me about what circumstances it seems to happen under (or better yet, a reliable way of reproducing it) would be an immense help.

Quote Originally Posted by 5tephe View Post
    (By the way: this project really feels like it needs a website - where people can post their address details, and latest releases, and log bugs. Just so you don't have to wade through these threads to find everything. Happy to help with that if needed.)
    vort was working on one, actually. As soon as I find the time I'll finish it up, there wasn't too much left to do. It'll probably be up sometime this week.

bikerdude
    Within the next few days, hopefully. Possibly even today, depending on how things go. As soon as I find the time I'll finish it up, there wasn't too much left to do. It'll probably be up sometime this week.
    you are the dude...!!!

Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891419242934 ... LastLast