TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

Just created a new game mode: Capture the horn! Three players are playing "Down in the Bonehoard for T2". The fastest taffer collecting the horn wins!

Yesterday we finished "Willow Island" on hard. That was a great experience. Trying to hide in the shadows while the other one is shutting down the cameras is so challenging.

The replacement of the ini- parameters is fun! Unfortunately itīs not always helpful when both players donīt see each other and are looking 5 minutes for the other gamer just to realize he was right in front of you...

Playing with four players is also possible but it functions seldom. And I never had the bug TypeRED mentioned.

Some questions:
    The KI, äh, AI seems to have problems with two players. It doesnīt matter if she has already seen you, you still can knock her out when she is focusing on the other player. Can you check this?
    There is sometimes a strange bug: you cannot collect the keys and purses of dead/knocked out guards. Still no idea what really helps. Sometimes reloading did the trick. Another time getting killed and respawning was helpful.

Dainem

P.S. a new thread with a list of good playable MP- Fanmissions could be helpful...

I guess I'll add my thoughts...

Me and RavynousHunter had a go at it; had a lot of frustration connecting until we read about Hamachi (is there a general TTLG group we should all join?); couldn't get Art of Thievery working; LotParty crashed; Equilibrium works but if you die you re-spawn behind a closed gate, so sort of annoying (a co-op version might just nix the gate altogether); Left For Dead starts with a briefing movie and a camvator sequence, one or the other crashed it for the client (but I bet it'd be good for co-op b/c it's so open ended; should try a re-packaged version that starts you right in the mission); and we finally settled on Ruined, which worked great, and is great for co-op. A few crashes for the client, but not many.

Some nice things about co-op are
    - double-coverage when fighting attacking guards (but you have to be careful or you hack your friend);
    - You can get a guard to search after one player, and the other can come from behind to KO him.
    - exploring is more fun and you can divide up a hall or one guy takes right the other left;
    - I noticed readables sort of get in the way playing co-op; you almost feel bad holding things up reading them, and when the other guy reads them you usually don't know where it is ... So I wasn't really following the story. I was going to say maybe it's better to play an FM you're already familiar with. But it's also fun to explore a new FM co-op. Just don't expect to follow the story; it's a different experience.
    - What happens when 2 thieves lock-pick the same chest at the same time? Is it additive? Ruined has a chest that takes forever to pick, and I got the feeling having 2 picks going sped it up.

This is one of those things where you suspect something is going to be fun, but then you do it and it turns out to be more fun than you even hoped. And to think there are 100s of FMs at our disposal for it... Long live Thief.
    Last edited by demagogue; 3rd Dec 2008 at 18:40.

jtr7
    So how do quickload and quicksave work, or not? I would think it wouldn't be a good idea, so I'm curious about what happens.

Quicksave & quickload work just fine.
    As I understand it, only the host can quicksave, though. Because of respawning, though, you only really need it when the client crashes to desktop. (When a player dies, they respawn at the start point and just run back to the action.) When there's a crash, then you just start a new-game almost like normally, except instead of pushing new game you load up the quicksaved version, and it starts with both players just fine where you left off. I haven't explored quickloading while a game is on-going though.

jtr7
    Good to know! Thanks, man.

new little video with 4, 3 and 2 Players

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=BpqNLKY8gow

Good to read experiences of multiplayer sessions..... This thief 2 multiplayer has so many FM possibilities; the kinds of gamemodes possible

I mean, I was just talking to my friend last night, and he had some interesting ideas... and I thought of some stuff myself. My friend came up with this one: One game mode could be a team based game (if it is possible to get 8 players in one game with decent ping) where it's humans versus zombies and the zombies protect the tombs of Down in the Bonehoard (or another level) while the thieves have to come in and steal loot without getting owned by the zombies. Sort of like thievery except with zombies and thieves. Though there could be a guards vs thieves type game mode too. Personally, I think the co-op type game modes should be fleshed out. That's where it is at. Especially since a lot of thief fans probably don't like deathmatching, and that's the one thing about thief that is left out. Another game mode my friend and I were discussing was Co-op on a Haunt Stadium type level. That is, an arena where you compete for the most kills of haunts. OR some other creature. I think that would be rather fun. I think one of the most exciting things to come out of this is if we can play ThiefKart online together.

typeRED: Hmm, that is strange. That is not the same bug I experienced. Mine was minor (just arrow floating in air) and it only happened once when I was testing Running Interference on two computers at my house.

Quote Originally Posted by typeRED
    btw, has anyone checked that the thief2.exe from the MP patch is noCD cracked? :P
    I can interpret this question 1 of 2 ways. Are you asking whether anyone has checked to see if it does because you want to know, or are you asking whether anyone else noticed it, as you found that it is cracked? (i.e., you already know, you just want to see if anyone else noticed.)

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    The client server browser is nearly complete, but there's still more work to be done on the global server app itself. I don't know whether this will make it into the next release or not, but I doubt it.
    I thought it was going to be a long way down the road to expect any kind of server browser. This is amazing. Also, I was discussing a master server with my friend last night, and the question came out whether you would actually want to do it and maintain it. So the question stands, are you actually planning on having your own multiplayer master server that people can use to make their own servers? That would be a lot of work to maintain. Unless there is another way to have servers online ?

jtr7
    The LGS Thief devs' idea of "TheftMatch" is coming true ten years later!

Permanently Enlarged
    Also a bit of a bug, sometimes, when you die and respawn, your camera starts to tilt ever so slowly until you die next. It makes things a bit more difficult, but it makes things very... interesting.

Otherwise, a pretty damn awesome patch! Delicious cake goes to Tos and vort for their magnificent work!

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    It doesnīt matter if she has already seen you, you still can knock her out when she is focusing on the other player. Can you check this?
    The same rules that apply to blackjacking and guard awareness in single player are observed in multiplayer as well (even for clients) -- the only difference is that guards knocked out by clients will die. You can knock out any guard that isn't currently aware of you or is stunned, even if they've already seen you once. I've been thinking about adding some difficulty settings to the host game window that would allow you to change things like that though, and maybe make that a bit harder.

While I'm on the subject, I have a request for anyone who knows more about DromEd than I do: is it possible to create a trigger of some sort that will apply the Knockout stimulus to an AI and actually knock them out?

Right now, when clients hit an AI object with a blackjack the host determines whether the AI is currently aware of the player or not, and then applies a BashStim with an intensity of 9999 to it if they're not (thereby killing it, which is why they appear to die). I've tried using the Knockout stimulus instead, but it doesn't seem to do anything. If it's possible to do this through DromEd, I might be able to figure out what I'm doing wrong if someone were willing to create a simple test mission that had a knockout trigger on it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    There is sometimes a strange bug: you cannot collect the keys and purses of dead/knocked out guards. Still no idea what really helps. Sometimes reloading did the trick. Another time getting killed and respawning was helpful.
    Yes, I knew about this one but I forgot to add it to the list of known issues. I don't know what's causing this right now, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by demagogue View Post
    I guess I'll add my thoughts...
    That's odd that you weren't able to get Art of Thievery or Left for Dead to work. We tried both of those during testing, and they did work. We didn't complete either one so I don't know if you can or not, but they should at least be playable unless some recent change has broken them. The camvator sequence in Left for Dead was just a black screen for the client, but once that ended we were able to play.

I agree that the readables are an issue, and if I could find a way to disable pausing when viewing one I would. It'd be even better if there were some way to get them to display while in sim mode (perhaps centered in the middle of the screen), but that would likely be quite difficult.

I'm surprised that two players lockpicking the same object actually worked for you. I made a literally last-minute change to lockpicking before releasing this that allowed clients to see the handles moving while picking them, but I didn't think two players would be able to pick the same object very easily (if at all) under the new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    new little video with 4, 3 and 2 Players
    Nice! Have you been able to try it with more than four players yet?

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I thought it was going to be a long way down the road to expect any kind of server browser. This is amazing. Also, I was discussing a master server with my friend last night, and the question came out whether you would actually want to do it and maintain it. So the question stands, are you actually planning on having your own multiplayer master server that people can use to make their own servers? That would be a lot of work to maintain. Unless there is another way to have servers online ?
    I thought this would take a while too, but progress has been incredibly quick this time (almost suspiciously so, I'm still waiting for something to go wrong ). I should have started over with this new design much sooner.

I'll be hosting it myself initially at least since I'm sure it's going to need quite a few updates after people begin using it and problems are discovered. If I'm unable to continue hosting it on my own machine I'll release the server program to the public. The DNS host name of the global server can be changed through ThiefMP.ini, so in theory anyone would be able to run one if I were to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett
    Are you asking whether anyone has checked to see if it does because you want to know
    if i wanted to know, i could just doubleclick the program without cds in any drives. thats what i did, and thief2 didnt ask for the cd.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett
    or are you asking whether anyone else noticed it, as you found that it is cracked? (i.e., you already know, you just want to see if anyone else noticed.)
    thats the point. we all know that sharing cracks is illegal but using them isn't...as long as you got the game by a legal way

don't misunderstand me, i'm reacting this way because someone else did that in my thiefkart thread too.

Does T2 suffer from the same username issue that SS2 had?

E.g Start a MP game. Save.
    You quit the game and then join the game with slightly different usernames. And then have to start over.

I kind of figured it was the latter, but the way you worded it could have meant it in two different ways.. But now I see how it's stupid to think of it that way because obviously all you have to do is try launching it.....

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by typeRED
    i tested a little today, and got a bugfix for that

you have to create more than one starting point marker, one for each player.
    i tested that with 2 and created a playerfactory link from each of them to "garrett".
    then i set the link data on the first point to 1, on the second to 2

now the host starts at the marker with data 1, and the client on 2.
    and both markers can have their own starting inventory
    AWESOME!!!! \ o / I tried this myself, making a new gam file for miss1.mis and added a second startingpoint. That's awesome, this means that players will not have to spawn inside of each other. In regards to the OMs: Someone (like me) could "patch" each OM to have more than one starting point. The only problem with this is it is probably illegal to distribute mission files, therefore it would not be allowed on this forum. I guess people would have to do it on their own....
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 4th Dec 2008 at 13:28. Reason: I tested out two starting points for 2 players

(davidsung, MH.TheFreak, Gecko and TypeRED; FM: "Up Shit Creek")

@Tos: Could you remove the "Total loot:" for the host?

davidsung, look here please.

Today we[CMD,MH.TheFreak,TypeRED,Gecko,Davidsung(he later left)]tried to make a game for 5 players but we never came to the game ^^
    so you cant play whit 5 players otherwise youll get to a point where the progess just do nothing but laoding into nothing ^^

We also found out that we had 3 other characters in the game[a other game] which should have been me[1] and TypeRED[2] . dont know how we get to this but it was funny XD
    when you kill them they do nothing[dont even fall ?!] but the character who should be this dies

other things we found out

-robots cannot be killed by clients only by hostīs
    -when you kill a robot heīll appear at his Spwanpoint[where he was placed in dromed)
    -Game crashes when someone picks something up [e.g. someone take a key or something like that]
    -Blackjack donīt work always [sometimes i had to hit a enemy 10 times before he fall unconsious to earth]but host can do it all the time
    -Is it normal that the host always has some gas arrows in his equipment? TypeRED had more than 4 in the level "Ampush!"
    -Some Watcher just stand in one and the same angel for the client but the host can see it how they see around[i was surprised when the alert went on]

so thatīs all what i remeber
    Iīm sorry for my bad english

CMD

Quote Originally Posted by CMD View Post
    -when you kill a robot heīll appear at his Spwanpoint[where he was placed in dromed)
    -Is it normal that the host always has some gas arrows in his equipment? TypeRED had more than 4 in the level "Ampush!"
    Clients can kill ServantRobots (KIFT, a client, try it). And this dead robot does not appear at his Spawnpoint.
    I never had 4 gasarrows as host, so i can't confirm it.

Some animations are buggy or looks odd e.g. if you use a health potion. Everytime you got new hitpoints, the "Garrett got harmed"-animation were played.
    I don't understand, why the bodywearing is called buggy. The host can do it without any problems (the client can't see it because of the missing animation and model).
    The "draw a bow"-animation isn't long enough, if the player is targing at sth.
    Maybe you could add some new animation in the final? e.g. drinking, swiming, blackjacking or an idle animation for standing players? Or a soft fading out for player corpse?

I apologize for my bad english, hopefully you could understand my text.^^

@CMD, that gas arrow was no bug.

i spawned that air crystal using "/summon aircrystal" in the chat line
    i did this just to test if it works on clientside too

Tos, could a password system be possible if you add a game browser?

Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    Nice! Have you been able to try it with more than four players yet?
    no, only with 4 Players. More wasnīt possible...

We also found out that we had 3 other characters in the game[a other game] which should have been me[1] and TypeRED[2] . dont know how we get to this but it was funny XD
    when you kill them they do nothing[dont even fall ?!] but the character who should be this dies
    he means that http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=dE0N0R8YQA4

There are 2 clones of 2 Players but the body is like frozen.
    But if u hit the body and he dies....the Player dies too!

Okay, I've confirmed that more than four players isn't working. I'm looking into the problem now, thanks. It seems as if the fifth player is getting booted by the host (likely due to some sort of hardcoded limitation I've missed somewhere). My DirectPlay wrapper isn't equipped to handle that yet, which is resulting in a crash for that player.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Does T2 suffer from the same username issue that SS2 had?
    I'm not sure. Maybe someone else who's tried it can tell you.

Clients can kill mechs with water arrows, as davidsung said. It may be difficult however because the copy of the arrow that you fired that appears on the host's end needs to strike the boiler, and their copy of the arrow will not be perfectly synched up with where it really is on your screen. You may need to use a couple of water arrows before it will work, particularly if you have a high ping. Getting closer to the mech before firing it should also help. I'll look into fixing this eventually.

-Game crashes when someone picks something up [e.g. someone take a key or something like that]
    Does this happen constantly, or only for some items? Can you tell me how to reproduce the problem? I haven't seen this issue before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wille View Post
    Tos, could a password system be possible if you add a game browser?
    I'm planning to add that.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsung View Post
    The "draw a bow"-animation isn't long enough, if the player is targing at sth.
    Maybe you could add some new animation in the final? e.g. drinking, swiming, blackjacking or an idle animation for standing players? Or a soft fading out for player corpse?
    Yes, I know that that the bow animations don't continue to loop until the player has fired the arrow. I don't know much about how the game handles motions, so I don't know if it's possible to do that yet. If new animations can be created and I can make use of them, an extra-long copy of the existing bow animation might do the trick.

There is no swimming animation in the game right now, so one would have to be created for this. I seem to remember that there actually are idle animations, but there's a problem with the net code that's preventing them from playing properly. Not sure though, it's been a while since I looked at that. Getting corpses to fade out should be possible -- I'll add it to my to-do list.

Build 187 has been released. I've edited the first post to include a download link.

New features:
    - Added an option to disable player vs. player damage. This won't prevent damage from explosive projectiles such as fire or gas arrows yet.
    - Added an option to select different player models from a new player settings window.
    - The player name setting has moved from the join/host game dialogs to the player settings window. Names can now be changed mid-game.

Fixes:
    - "Total loot" text is no longer displayed for the host.
    - Fixed some text rendering issues.
    - Fixed a problem with projectiles that may have been causing them to freeze in mid-air after being fired by clients.
    - Names in the chat window will no longer appear to be the same for every player before the game has started.
    - Wounded animations will no longer play on players that are healing.
    - Fixed a potential crash when exiting game mode.
    - The client will no longer attempt to repeatedly join a session that is full.
    - Torches and gas lights will no longer appear to be half-lit to clients after being extinguished.
    - Games with more than four players should work now.

Thanks Tos!

It's supposed to be the \ o / but with his whole body.

jtr7
    Tos! Tos! Tos! Whoohoo!

Thanks!

Clearinghouse
    Thanks, Tos

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 123456789101520253035 ... LastLast