TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722273237 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

Food like apples can't restore hitpoints.

It seems that breakable glass is non-breakable at MP.

Quote Originally Posted by davidsung View Post

when i played this mission whit TypeRED i was able to destroy this window.
    Maybe something changed whit the new bugfix ; i´m gonna to try it today.

CMD

Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    Yes, you'll have to set up games through the forum or trade IP addresses with friends for now, much like SS2.

Eventually, I hope to implement some sort of global server to display a list of running servers, but that's a ways off. I started work on it a few months back, but decided against including it in the first beta due to the amount of time it will take.

I don't think there are any matchmaking services like GameSpy that would list servers for an unofficial project like this, though if anyone knows of any, please do tell me. It'd save me a huge amount of work.
    That's definitely going to cost money

I also found a glitch where either the host or client walks to a wall and still holds to the movement key without moving, the player will usually end up hovering over the obstacle or through it o_o (ex.: I for instance hitting a wall while holding the movement key, the other player(s) will see me hover through or over the obstacle)

I think this is a known glitch, sorry if I didn't read the readme completely =/

Is there a known bug that makes the clients avatar invisible for the host?

Are you sure you have TMA on version 1.18? We were in a hurry yesterday and forgot to install the patch before replacing the exe file and then nobody could see the other. Might not be the same issue on your system, though, when you're already mentioning this host/client thing.

I've the right patch, but I'm not sure if the host got it...
    I could see him, but he couldn't see me. (We where 2 players.)

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    minor bug, but i noticed when i alt+tab and hit exit on the console rather than just quitting normally, I get a microsoft error report dialog. Not that it really matters, since you want to exit anyway.
    Yeah, I should just take that out -- I only had it in there for testing purposes. It seems to crash the game more frequently when ddfix is not installed or you're playing in full screen. I have no idea why, because selecting exit from that menu calls the same function that clicking Quit on the main menu in game does.

Food like apples can't restore hitpoints.
    Seems to work for me, even as a client. Where did you see this happen?

Yes, that does seem to happen sometimes. I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterUndefine View Post
    I also found a glitch where either the host or client walks to a wall and still holds to the movement key without moving, the player will usually end up hovering over the obstacle or through it o_o (ex.: I for instance hitting a wall while holding the movement key, the other player(s) will see me hover through or over the obstacle)
    This is a problem with the Dark engine's entity prediction that I haven't found a way to fix yet. System Shock 2 has the same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by seventyfour View Post
    Is there a known bug that makes the clients avatar invisible for the host?
    Nope, I haven't heard about that one before. Any chance you could get this to happen again, or was it just random?

Nope, I haven't heard about that one before. Any chance you could get this to happen again, or was it just random?
    I will look the next time I'm playing.
    (I've only played one time.)

There´s a new bug in the chat menu: the last time every player had the same name. Now you don´t even see any name. It only appears outside the in-game-chat-menu like the previous bug. It looks like that:

Dainem connected.
    Player connected.
    Player 2 connected.
    :Hello!
    :Hello!
    :Who said this?
    :No idea...

Dainem

bikerdude
    Evening

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but once connected either player cant see the other.. both are in the game as we can see/hear when they frob anything in the game world.

both of us were running build 187

biker
    Last edited by bikerdude; 7th Dec 2008 at 18:27.

Why do i notice this theard only now?! Damn!

I'll have a lot of catching up to do, then.

Cya in the game.

For everyone that's encountering problems: do you have the latest version of build 187? It was updated twice about two days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dainem View Post
    There´s a new bug in the chat menu: the last time every player had the same name. Now you don´t even see any name. It only appears outside the in-game-chat-menu like the previous bug.
    Very strange. The names in the chat menu are actually working just fine for me now, even before the game has started. Does this happen all the time for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Evening

Dont know if this has been mentioned, but once connected either player cant see the other.. both are in the game as we can see/hear when they frob anything in the game world.

both of us were running build 187

biker
    Hmm, that's two people now. Can you tell me a little more about it? Are you unable to see each other every time you try to play a game, or is it just occasional? What mission are you playing on? If it's a fan mission, you should try one of the original missions briefly just to see if it works properly there.

If that doesn't help, try playing with the older build 184 linked in the first post of this thread. If that one works, it may be a new bug that was introduced in 187.

Although I have not tried it with anyone outside of the realm of my house, I have not encountered either of those bugs when playtesting on two PCs at my house. (The invisible person bug or the chat bug.) I think there is something else going on here. Perhaps hardware is a factor? Or net connection? I think the biggest problem that I've found regarding 187 was the menu crashing thief.

Very strange. The names in the chat menu are actually working just fine for me now, even before the game has started. Does this happen all the time for you?
    I can confirm it, that happen all the time to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    Seems to work for me, even as a client. Where did you see this happen?
    Very odd, sometimes as client it works fine, but as host it seems not to work. Or the other way around? e.g. in Life of the Party I as host were unable to restore hitpoints with food.

Other question: Why clients can't use items like health potion or mines? I can confirm, that this never work (sometimes it seems to work, but than the items are infinite). Can you insert, that invisible potion makes the player for other invisible?

Edit: btw, a very odd bug. A client killed an AI (FM: The Art of Thievery):

Edit2: Can it be that clients can't hear the idle-voices and steps from the AIs?
    Last edited by davidsung; 8th Dec 2008 at 14:24.

bikerdude
    Hmm, that's two people now. Can you tell me a little more about it? Are you unable to see each other every time you try to play a game, or is it just occasional? What mission are you playing on?

If that doesn't help, try playing with the older build 184 linked in the first post of this thread. If that one works, it may be a new bug that was introduced in 187.
    We cant see each other, or hear each others footsteps, but if either of us frobbed a gate/door etc the other could hear and see what was being frobbed. We played the very 1st mission of T2 with basso.

i wasnt able to connect with the older build either hosting or connecting.

biker

I'll add some logging to the next build that should help me track down the names problem. I can't get it to happen here, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Very odd, sometimes as client it works fine, but as host it seems not to work. Or the other way around? e.g. in Life of the Party I as host were unable to restore hitpoints with food.
    Strange, I actually tested on Life of the Party in a two player game and the piece of cheese near the start of the mission restored the host's health properly. I'll look into it regardless.

Other question: Why clients can't use items like health potion or mines? I can confirm, that this never work (sometimes it seems to work, but than the items are infinite). Can you insert, that invisible potion makes the player for other invisible?
    It's been my experience that health potions always work, but some of the throwable inventory items (mines, flash bombs) will occasionally either not work at all for some players, or will appear to have infinite uses (the number remaining won't go down in that player's inventory, but it will actually disappear from your inventory anyways when you're out of them).

I will most likely have to change how the game handles the player inventory entirely at some point. I don't think that the existing code in Thief was designed with multiplayer in mind, and it's not too similar to System Shock 2's either (which most of the net code was copied over from).

Edit: btw, a very odd bug. A client killed an AI (FM: The Art of Thievery)

Edit2: Can it be that clients can't hear the idle-voices and steps from the AIs?
    Not sure what happened with that AI. Did anyone try and pick up the body?

Yes, there are some problems with the guard voices. I think this was supposed to be in the known issues list, but looking over it now I don't see it. If the host gets too far away from a guard the other players will not be able to hear them talking (unless they attack another player -- AI creatures will transfer ownership of themselves to whomever they're currently attacking, and then you will be able to hear them just fine). This is obviously more of a problem on large missions like Art of Thievery.

Footsteps should always play though. If you weren't hearing them you may have been experiencing the sound corruption issue I mentioned in the readme. Try using the /sfx_reset command if that happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    We cant see each other, or hear each others footsteps, but if either of us frobbed a gate/door etc the other could hear and see what was being frobbed. We played the very 1st mission of T2 with basso.

i wasnt able to connect with the older build either hosting or connecting.
    That's strange, I didn't make any changes in build 187 that should have affected connection.

Could you have the client select Receives and Echo Console from the debug menu, and try again? This will display all of the packets that are being received as chat text in game, and the client should be receiving a number of heartbeats. If they're not, something is definitely wrong.

Also, check the console and ThiefMP.log in your Thief 2 folder to see if any errors have been reported.

ThiefMP.log in your Thief 2 folder to see if any errors have been reported.
    Speaking of logs, hmmm... Mine isn't called that, it is called errorlog.txt I know for sure it is for thief 2 multiplayer, as it says date of creation was november the 28th.

by the way biker, this may be obvious, but did you guys consider firewall blocking it?

thought I'd mention this in case I forgot:
    I made a player contact info thread, which is now stickied thanks to Mr. Nightfall. If you guys haven't seen it already, check it out and maybe add your info too.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 8th Dec 2008 at 20:44.

Mission suggestion.

Alright: So the news that someone has managed to fix both:
    a) The Spawn point issue, and
    b) The Objective issue, creating 'Capture the Horn'

INSTANTLY suggests a game mode that is pure win.

Create 2 or three spawn points in the upper level of the Bonehoard (The top of the rope into the first pit, say, and the first abandoned campsite - maybe also the Octagonal Font room) and play in "You can damage your fellow players" mode. Race to the finish.

Players would have to sneak past each other, avoid entanglements with the local denizens, etc....

Perhaps realising that they were too far behind, one player would divert and head straight for the sneaky exit at the top of the tombs, and AMBUSH their fellow player, snatching the Horn from them there.

Who IS the ultimate thief?

(I think it would bring back a lot of the traditional challenge to the game, for us seasoned players who can waltz through the levels with our eyes shut. How tense would it be knowing that there was someone out there who was looking for you, who you couldn't see if they were hiding as well as you can? When will you chose to break your cover and slip through? If you do see an opponent, do you chase after them with your sword, or sneak along behind them, and keep them in your sights, until they are climbing a rope? Or wait till they are sneaking past a bunch of burricks and then drop in a noisemaker on them?

All fantastic challenges.)

What are other levels where this would be a winner?

I'm releasing an experimental build with global server support added. I won't be linking this in the first post of the thread yet since I'm sure that this isn't going to work perfectly right off the bat and will probably need a number of updates. If you're not interested in the global server or any of the other changes, you may want to stick with build 187 for a little while longer. Consider this to be even more of a beta than the usual releases...

You can grab it here for now. To view the list of running servers, select Server Browser from the server menu. If you want your own server to show up on the server list, select "List server on global server" in the host game window.

Complete change list:
    New features:
    - Global server support.
    - New console/chat command: /net_stats. Displays ping and other network
    information.
    - Server hosts can now choose whether or not to enable cheats (console commands such as summon).
    - Clients are now disconnected upon entering game mode if their gamesys file
    differs from the host's.

Fixes:
    - Fixed a bug that would occasionally cause players to crash when another player (un)equipped a weapon.
    - Fixed some AI projectile issues that were causing numerous problems. However, as a side effect of this fix, the cannonballs fired from combat bots
    will only be visible to the player currently hosting them. This should be addressed soon.
    Once any major issues are worked out of this build I plan to go back and update my DirectPlay8 patch for SS2 to the latest version of the DirectPlay code used in T2 MP, and also add support for the global server to it.

Wow, you are making some great progress Tos. This is like miniture christmas presents (for those of us that like christmas)

update my DirectPlay8 patch for SS2 to the latest version of the DirectPlay code used in T2 MP, and also add support for the global server to it.
    Oh, I didn't realize you were doing stuff for SS2. Actually, sorry, I think I kind of remember you talking about SS2 before. My memory is just not that great. Anyway, just curious. What is this business about "directplay 8", as I don't really understand the innerworkings of this direct play thingy and how we do this stuff. I do know that it has to do with windows' direct x, right? And I guess the question i should be asking is, what is the benefit of DP8 over 7 for SS2? I'm sure that's a dumb question, as newer versions are always better than old versions, but I just don't know anything about this stuff.

Clearinghouse

Well, I can't connect to my own laptop or computer if I set up a server on one of them. It times out.

Then again, I should stop playing with myself

bikerdude
    I'm releasing an experimental build with global server support added
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

b.

bikerdude
    Ok where and what is the game sys file..? "dark.gam"..?

as I can connect but am now geting game sys error when i coneect ot someone connects to me.

b.

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121722273237 ... LastLast