TTLG|Thief|Bioshock|System Shock|Deus Ex|Mobile
Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131823283338 ... LastLast

Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    Speaking of logs, hmmm... Mine isn't called that, it is called errorlog.txt I know for sure it is for thief 2 multiplayer, as it says date of creation was november the 28th.
    The errorlog.txt file is only for crashes. General warnings and other information are written to ThiefMP.log.

What is this business about "directplay 8", as I don't really understand the innerworkings of this direct play thingy and how we do this stuff. I do know that it has to do with windows' direct x, right? And I guess the question i should be asking is, what is the benefit of DP8 over 7 for SS2? I'm sure that's a dumb question, as newer versions are always better than old versions, but I just don't know anything about this stuff.
    Yes, DirectPlay was the networking component of DirectX up until Microsoft discontinued work on it in 2004 for reasons that are totally beyond me. While DirectPlay 4 (which Thief and SS2's network code were designed for) wasn't too good at all, it had become a decent API by version 8. DirectPlay 4 handles network address translation/firewalls very poorly, which is why you need to use Hamachi to host SS2 games from behind a router without my patch, and is why I decided to upgrade both games to DirectPlay 8.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Well, I can't connect to my own laptop or computer if I set up a server on one of them. It times out.
    Assuming you're behind a router, you'll need to forward the server port (5198 by default) to the host machine if you're connecting through the global server, even if you're on the same network. You should be able to connect without doing that however by connecting directly to the host computer's internal IP address.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    Ok where and what is the game sys file..? "dark.gam"..?

as I can connect but am now geting game sys error when i coneect ot someone connects to me.
    Sounds like you have a modified gamesys file. This explains why you have not been able to see other players in the older builds -- everyone's gamesys needs to be the same. dark.gam should have a file size of 1,376,346 bytes and have been modified on March 27 2000. If it doesn't, you'll need to get a clean gamesys (either have the other person send it to you, or reinstall the game).

Ah, thanks for the explanation tos.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Tos View Post
    Sounds like you have a modified gamesys file. This explains why you have not been able to see other players in the older builds -- everyone's gamesys needs to be the same. dark.gam should have a file size of 1,376,346 bytes and have been modified on March 27 2000. If it doesn't, you'll need to get a clean gamesys (either have the other person send it to you, or reinstall the game).
    Hmmm what would have updated the dark.gam file then..? and what will I effect by setting it back to an older version, mine was 1.30mb, july 2000.

Hmmm what would have updated the dark.gam file then..? and what will I effect by setting it back to an older version, mine was 1.30mb, july 2000.

Same here. Was your copy of Taff 2 the Sold Out Software version?

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    Same here. Was your copy of Taff 2 the Sold Out Software version?
    yes, so I assume its ok to downgrade the dark.gam to the march version.

On another note, even when both players (me/somone else) we get connection timed out or the invisable player issue.

So far I have come across people that arent running ddfix and or the widescreen patch, Tos can you give me a list of file that need to be the same on each client, so I can see what if any are effected/changed by ddfix/widescreen/other thief required files(scripts/darkloader/etc).

thanks
    Last edited by bikerdude; 10th Dec 2008 at 06:21.

@Tos your link to download the build 189 doesn´t work when i try to DL it.
    Always FORBIDDEN ^^

has someone else a optional link to download it ?

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by CMD View Post
    if you can wait till I get home (3hrs) I'll upload it to rapid share.

Always FORBIDDEN ^^

The host appears to be having some issues... hopefully temporary, because we all have a fair bit of stuff up on it.

Keeper of FMs

Here's a working link at Darklurker.

Hmm, I wasn't aware there were different versions of the gamesys floating around.

Unless my own installation is somehow messed up and I have the wrong one, the 1.18 gamesys (if the patch changes it at all) should have the attributes I mentioned above. I do have one of the original copies of Thief 2 though with the trapezoidal box, and not the Sold Out version if that makes any difference.

If the gamesys is different between those two versions, I'll have to distribute one or the other with the patch to ensure that people can play together on missions that use the default .gam. Anyone know more about this?

So far I have come across people that arent running ddfix and or the widescreen patch, Tos can you give me a list of file that need to be the same on each client, so I can see what if any are effected/changed by ddfix/widescreen/other thief required files(scripts/darkloader/etc).
    The gamesys and the .mis file itself absolutely need to be same for every player in the game, or you'll run into the invisible player problem or worse. The script modules should also be the same, but minor differences there aren't as likely to cause problems. ddfix and the widescreen patch shouldn't affect anything.

Always FORBIDDEN ^^

Our host seems to be having problems, as usual. Thanks for the mirrors in the mean time.

No offense, but it really is not ideal to have to force use of certain exes / gam files. (I know im complaining, but if only there was a better method...)

And I have the original "trapezoidal box" too, which is probably why i have no issues with dark.gam

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    If the gamesys is different between those two versions, I'll have to distribute one or the other with the patch to ensure that people can play together on missions that use the default .gam. Anyone know more about this?
    It almost most certainly is a difference, since biker said his is different unless he was messing with the gam file. What Im curious about is how it willl effect the game to have everyone using the same version of dark.gam, with those people with the older copies of thief 2.... There's most likely a very small change to dark.gam, and thus it would make sense to have the latest version of the game file for this patch. I admit I don't know this for sure,. just a hunch. IF any expert knows anything, please post

Also, great job with the progress! It's too bad you do not have vort helping anymore.

bikerdude
    it would make sense to have the latest version of the game file for this patch. ost
    Here is my dark.gam as its the latest one I believe.

18/07/2000 - 1,366,129 bytes - http://rapidshare.com/files/172167287/DARK.GAM.html

Tos, what mis file are you refering too..?

That's strange, I didn't make any changes in build 187 that should have affected connection.

Could you have the client select Receives and Echo Console from the debug menu, and try again? This will display all of the packets that are being received as chat text in game, and the client should be receiving a number of heartbeats. If they're not, something is definitely wrong.

Also, check the console and ThiefMP.log in your Thief 2 folder to see if any errors have been reported.
    We had the problem of people not seeing each other too. It was because the Thief versions were different. You should update to 1.18 then.

By the way: I like the "avatar" function. Too bad a WorkerBot avatar for me isn't possible. xD

Tip: For those of you who know the inner workings of folder structure in thief, you can change the mesh of what someone looks like (of course the other person won't see it unless that person does it too) by renaming a different mesh to the mesh name of the avatar you are using. (e.g. use Malsev02 as Malsev01, which is the name of the gif for the servant used in this multiplayer patch.) Warning though: If you try overwriting the original mesh for that avatar with one that is sized different, it looks really weird/funny. I tried putting a hammerite mesh on a servant body and looked at it in multiplayer... The hammerite was all scrunched

Here is my dark.gam as its the latest one I believe.
    Tos, what mis file are you refering too..?
    I don't think there's any simple way to compare two gamesys files, so there's not much I can say other than that it's different from mine, which we already knew.

As for the .mis file, that'd depend on the mission you're playing -- miss01.mis for Running Interference, for example. Most of my mission files have a modified date of March 27/28 2000 as well, so I'm beginning to wonder if your mission files will be different too. If that's the case, owners of the Sold Out version may be out of luck when it comes to playing the stock missions with someone who has an original copy. You shouldn't have any trouble playing a fan mission that uses a custom gamesys, though. Could you check the dates/sizes on the mission files, or better yet get a directory listing with dir in the command prompt?

No offense, but it really is not ideal to have to force use of certain exes / gam files. (I know im complaining, but if only there was a better method...)
    Not really much that can be done about it. The clients and server need to agree on the object IDs and properties of both the archetypes and concrete objects. Even minor differences in the gamesys can lead to some of the multiplayer-only archetypes that are created by T2 MP after the gamesys is loaded (such as the weapon objects for other players, and the player avatars themselves) receiving a different ID, which will result in players not being able to see each other or instability.

If my suspicions about bikerdude's mission files are correct, there may not be much point in including a gamesys anyways, though. We'll have to see. Assuming I did decide to include it, I'd create a real installer for T2 MP instead of the .zip file and provide it as an option during installation.
    Last edited by Tos; 11th Dec 2008 at 16:29.

bikerdude
    If my suspicions about bikerdude's mission files are correct, there may not be much point in including a gamesys anyways, though. We'll have to see.n Assuming I did decide to include it, I'd create a real installer for T2 MP instead of the .zip file and provide it as an option during installation.
    I dont beleive my .mis file should be any different in my Sold Out version than any other version of T2...? btu I guess we would have to do a file check to know for sure.

Wow I'm starting late in all this, however I've read all the posts and had to get a towel for all the drool. I've wanted to play Thief 2 multiplayer the day I started messing around with the editer, now it sounds like I can do this.
    However I'm unsure how to go about this, I have one computer with the game set up with dromed, the 1.18 patch, dromed deluxe, and dark loader, and maybe some other custom stuff hidden around in the files.

Anyways I'm think I'll just install on two other computers and leave the one for single player use. I see some people have talked about wide-screen stuff, and I'm unsure what I'm needing for this, as I have a wide screen with my new computer that runs 1680 by 1050. My sister's computer shouldn't have any problems with Thief 2 since she doesn't have a wide-screen and is much like the computer I'll keep for single-player.

What will I need to get us started playing this game multiplayer besides this new .exe file? I can't wait. And what is this talk about something else about ddfix? I'd like to run this game with as little needed stuff as possable.
    I'm also reading the readme file as of right now.

Anyone who can point me the right way for everything I need to get this going for the both of us would be great. Also if it helps I too have the Thief 2 in the "trapezoidal box"

Quote Originally Posted by Dexprod View Post
    Anyways I'm think I'll just install on two other computers and leave the one for single player use.
    What will I need to get us started playing this game multiplayer besides this new .exe file?
    It is much easier than I think you think it is.

First of all, there's a readme in the multiplayer .zip folder that explains everything. So just follow directions.

If I were to embellish on it, I'd say the first thing you should do is keep a backup copy of both the single player and multiplayer .exe's. Label the original Thief2_Singplayer.exe; label the other Thief2_multiplayer.exe (or whatever your preference), after you've dropped the MP's .zip folder's contents into your Thief 2 folder.

Then all you have to do is rename Thief2MP.exe to Thief2.exe to run multiplayer. (The other multiplayer files are in the .zip file.)

And then just rename Thief2SP.exe back to Thief2.exe to run singleplayer (and changing multiplayer back to Thief2MP.exe; you don't even have to worry about the other MP files and can just leave them).

Darkloader never even notices, as long as there's a file called Thief2.exe, and works exactly like it always does. So it's soo easy to switch back and forth at a moment's notice. It's probably also a good idea to keep a permanent backup copy of both .exe's in a backup folder, so you don't risk an accidental overwrite. But there's no reason why you can't have all your computers ready to run single and multiplayer whenever you like.

Edit: A message to techy people on that note, though: a nice update to Darkloader would be separate buttons to run Single or Multiplayer. Then you can keep both .exe's in your Thief2 folder and Darkloader would simply run Thief2MP.exe when prompted, and normal Thief2.exe otherwise. Then no mess with manually changing file names or overwriting anything. Darkloader would take care of it all.
    Last edited by demagogue; 12th Dec 2008 at 00:58.

A thief 2 multiplayer report...

Yeah, about darkloader.. that would be cool, but the problem is that certain stuff needs the exe to be called thief2.exe - like ddfix looks for thief2.exe, right?

Alright, I've got a report. So, I have been playing with DexterUndefine and below outlines all the stuff I came across (despite the following negative stuff, the game was actually rather fun, especially when we were just messing around in the map like throwing snowballs at each other >:P) :

• First off, we had a lot of problems just connecting. Rather weird stuff. First I tried hosting, and then he tried hosting and then I tried hosting.. we kind of alternated a bit. I usually hosted though. Anyways, I tried hosting with port 5198 and he could never connect. There was one time though where we were able to connect, but it never worked again. We tried with and without ddfix on both of our systems. I am not sure whether ddfix is causing a problem or not. So, I thought I would try another port. Low and behold it worked! I use port 7777 (ut2004 port) and he was able to connect the first time! \o/ However, there were times where it just did not work, with him reporting that it would just say "connection timed out." I also noticed something strange in the server browser. If you use port 5198 and host a server, every single time i would look at the server on the browser it would have the ping as ?? and the players as ???/??? Seems to me like it was the server not connecting properly to the "global server." Anyway, now when I use port 7777 everytime the players and ping work. So, if port 5198 is giving you problems, try port 7777. I think it also has to do with the firewall and portforwarding. I have 7777 portforwarded on the modem/router thing, so maybe that is why it works. Though I've hosted games before I think, and all I had to do to make things work is to allow it by my software firewall (zonealarm) and lower security to medium. If I don't, it secures it so well that it is impossible to use it for servers..... Summary: had sporadic connecting, seemed at first that the second connect never worked, and so I would have to reboot server. Though one time it worked, so I don't know if there is any sort of pattern. Port 5198 did not work properly. Port 7777 works.
    • Gameplay issues: I noticed the issues with picking up/dropping items. Sometimes the client (me being the host and dexter as client) would pick up something like a snowball and it would glitch when it was dropped or something so that when I tried to frob it, nothing happened. We played a thief's holiday 2004 by yandros, and when he dropped the matches, they would float in mid-air. As host, I noticed that the victrola records would suddenly appear in my inventory when trying to frob the victrola. In order to remove a record from the victrola, I had to pick a record from my inventory and then frob the victrola. Hard to explain it all, but it was really weird. This may just be a fan mission specific bug but I don;t know if it happens with other stuff... Summary: Issues with items, as to be expected. More or less just observations, I know it is "known issue"
    • Console issues: the command "/net_stats" refuses to do anything when i type it in. I cannot hit enter on my keyboard to complete a chat in the console, I have to hit the word send. (or maybe that is intentional?)
    • errorlog.txt: I noticed that I have some message about thief causing an access violation. I don't know if this information would be of any use to you Tos, but I can send you the contents of the text if you want.

I think that is everything. We had some fun though, don't get me wrong. I took some screenshots of dexter in A Thief's Holiday 2004:

The avatar looks pretty funny when you keep pressing lean in both directions, and then we discovered that if you hold down lean and then walk, it looks like you are sort of sliding across the ground I took some shots of that, as you can see.
    I really like the server browser, it is quite convenient.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 12th Dec 2008 at 03:16.

Yeah, about darkloader.. that would be cool, but the problem is that certain stuff needs the exe to be called thief2.exe - like ddfix looks for thief2.exe, right?
    Sorry, I meant that Darkloader would be using both Thief2.exe's in the main folder only as needed. Well, I confused myself at first, but I realized the same thing you did...

They're both named Thief2.exe when used. But one or the other either (1) gets plopped into the main folder as needed (and in the meantime the other is in a subfolder so there isn't a conflict, and they each have their own respective subfolder maybe), or (2) gets renamed to Thief2.exe and the other renamed to something alternative/unique in the meantime. Between those two I'd think (1) works better. And of course you'd have both backed-up as a failsafe.

Edit: Or I guess it all comes together: they're each permanently in their own subfolder (or zip file). And when called one simply overwrites (via copy/paste, or unzip) whatever was there before; but the other still has its original in its subfolder/zip ready to re-overwrite (via its own copy/paste, or unzip) again whenever it's called. And the originals are never altered. Just copies overwriting copies.
    Last edited by demagogue; 12th Dec 2008 at 03:36.

Ah, that makes sense. That is a good suggestion there. I like (1)

Glad it worked out for you.

As far as the connection issues go, it sounds to me like the host hadn't forwarded port 5198. The ping and number of players will be displayed as question marks in the browser until your computer contacts the host of that server and retrieves the info from them. If they remain question marks, your client isn't getting a response from the host of that game and it's not too likely that you'll be able to join.

We played a thief's holiday 2004 by yandros, and when he dropped the matches, they would float in mid-air.
    There's definitely going to be a few (or more than a few) problems like that with FMs. I'll download that FM once I have the time and see if I can figure out what's going on, though. Thanks.

[*] Console issues: the command "/net_stats" refuses to do anything when i type it in. I cannot hit enter on my keyboard to complete a chat in the console, I have to hit the word send. (or maybe that is intentional?)
    Were you hosting the game? Net stats will only display the queue peak if you're hosting -- if you're a client, it will display your ping as well as some other information.

No, you should be able to use the enter key in the console. Odd that it's not working. You should also be able to press the up and down keys to cycle through previously entered commands -- is that broken as well?

errorlog.txt: I noticed that I have some message about thief causing an access violation. I don't know if this information would be of any use to you Tos, but I can send you the contents of the text if you want.
    Yes, that would be very helpful. Actually, at this point I'd like to ask anyone who has crashed while playing multiplayer to post their errorlog.txt file somewhere or send it to me. I'm planning to set up a page to submit the errorlogs on the site once it's done, but that may be a few weeks off.

Hmm. So it sounds like it IS a portforwarding issue.

I can't recall whether I was hosting or not, but it didn't matter. Whenever I type in net_stats, it never does anything. But it just occured to me how stupid I sound right now. I assume this is actually for in-game? I've tried typing it outside of game, not by alt tabbing and typing it in. I should try that and I'll let you know if it works. I recall once as host playing bafford's, that some strange purple text appeared in the top right corner. That must have been from me typing in net_stats, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    No, you should be able to use the enter key in the console. Odd that it's not working. You should also be able to press the up and down keys to cycle through previously entered commands -- is that broken as well?
    Hmm, interesting... I was just testing the enter key, and I noticed that windows makes a sound like the window is out of focus, but if I press enter like 2 or 3 times it does work. Does not work the first enter key press though. The arrow keys appears to work fine.

Okay, I'll send you my errorlog.txt. I have a hunch though that it is nothing that important, as thief 2 mainly crashes because of two reasons: 1.) I click exit on the console 2.) I force thief to quit.. Actually, there have been a few times thief 2 crashes....

I and my new contact have been trying to make thief mp work. We have the same versions and everything, but we both have the goddamn routers. We tried port forewarding with both 7777 and 5198 ports, but none really worked. I partly read the latest discussion but didn't understand much. Now if anyone has a simple way to port foreward in-out tcp/udp somehow avoid it, i would be greatly thankful.
    A screenshot would be gold.

P.S. We also tried hamachi, but it wouldn't want to connect us properly. We can chat in it, but pinging times out.

bikerdude
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor02 View Post
    Now if anyone has a simple way to port foreward in-out tcp/udp somehow avoid it, i would be greatly thankful.
    A screenshot would be gold.
    there isnt because everyones setup is different, if you have a router the port forwarding has to be done in that and also the port needs to be opened in windows firewall (or zone alarm and or similar)

Page 8 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131823283338 ... LastLast