Thread: T2 Multiplayer Beta Released

All my firewalls are off.
    I guess my port forward requirements are:
    TCP or UDP or both?
    Port in?
    Port out?
    Ip?

bikerdude
    TCP and Port in/out and and some routers require the starting and destination Ip's

I'm still amazed at this. Has anyone from the original TDP or TMA teams seen this?

Also: with the idea of a global server-thingy, that would cost money. Maybe we could all do donations or something? I'd support it.

Unfortunately, Thief only works on my laptop, which isn't the most powerful thing in the universe. Are there any requirements for connection speed and the like?

Quote Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
    TCP and Port in/out and and some routers require the starting and destination Ip's
    Yes, that's what i said. Except i simply need an ip adress, which i have, i think (at least worked for Warcraft 3).
    7777 and 5198 didn't work for me both as in and out.

Well, it would probably be enough to find one who can host for all Europe .

Well my sister and I have played a few of the missions together, no FMs. And we've had a few problems, but saving often has helped with that.

We both have enjoyed this a ton, and are both shocked at how well it runs even with the few crashes/errors we've had. It's still play-able even with these little problems and glitches. Either way we don't care about them and will continue to play.

I was wondering how many fan missions people have tried playing multiplayer, and was wondering if there was a list of safe ones? I know there are some that could have something block off the starting point from the rest of the mission, there by keeping you from spawning again.

I can't wait to try out some FM's with my sister and enjoy the world of Thief together. Best gift ever.

Thor, how exactly are you "portforwarding" ?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor02
    P.S. We also tried hamachi, but it wouldn't want to connect us properly. We can chat in it, but pinging times out.
    Hmm.... Seems like a firewall issue. You may know this already, but did you activate the "hamachi network connection" ? Secondly, all you need to do is give the second player the hamachi IP address and then you should be able to play thief 2 mp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexprod
    and was wondering if there was a list of safe ones
    No, but that might be a great idea, if someone has the time to do it. That is, a taffer plays as many FMs as he/she can and tell us if they work, or if there are problems. Then again, we could all do that. We can just test an fm and report back in a thread, and then anyone who is asking about an FM will see what has been said already.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexprod View Post
    and was wondering if there was a list of safe ones?
    Actually, there is something along those lines already planned for the site, eventually... though I haven't really kept up on site's progress too much, so I haven't the foggiest idea as to when any of it will be available.

Permanently Enlarged

OK, maybe I'm just a moron, but how do you start ThiefMP with an OM? I've been trying to fire up LotP for ages, and every time I try to host it, I get a CTD. Anyone mind tellin' me how to fix this?

Well my sister and I have both played all the missions we are going to before trying out some Fan Missions. So we both would be willing to start helping with the list.

Also on a side note, while we've been playing some odd item bugs have happened to us a number of times, it happens randomly so it's hard to say what starts it. I play as the host and her as the clinet.
    Anyways while playing she will pick something up such as a water crystal she will gain an arrow, but also gets the crystal as an inventory item. She can then drop the crystal, pick it up again and gain another water arrow, with the crystal returning to her inventory, and in turn have as many water arrows as she wants. This also works for any other arrow crystal, speed and healing potions, and most or all food items.

Also something stated in an earlier post said the starting inventory shared the same ID right? Well not only that, but sometimes when she (the clinet) used something, such as a healing potion I'd loose the one I had. Maybe this is the shared ID of the items? Also sometimes I can pick up an item and not gain it, if the number surpasses what my sister has. This has also happened randomly and I'm unsure if this was stated earlier, or in different words.

We've been having loads of fun playing together and can't wait to try out some Fan Missions. We would be glad to help with making the list of friendly/playable FMs for multiplayer.

I also can't wait to see the first made FM that is based on the idea of it being played multiplayer, but I'm sure that's a ways down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by sNeaksieGarrett View Post
    I recall once as host playing bafford's, that some strange purple text appeared in the top right corner. That must have been from me typing in net_stats, right?
    Yes, that was probably it. Don't forget to type a forward slash before the commands. All commands will work both in-game and in the console, but some will only display their output to the console.

Hmm, interesting... I was just testing the enter key, and I noticed that windows makes a sound like the window is out of focus, but if I press enter like 2 or 3 times it does work. Does not work the first enter key press though. The arrow keys appears to work fine.
    Very odd. I don't know why exactly that was happening for you, but it should be fixed in the next build if the arrow keys work properly for you in this one.

Thanks for the errorlog.

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    OK, maybe I'm just a moron, but how do you start ThiefMP with an OM? I've been trying to fire up LotP for ages, and every time I try to host it, I get a CTD. Anyone mind tellin' me how to fix this?
    Could you click "more info" on the crash dialog box (assuming you have Windows XP, Vista is slightly different) and give me the ModName and Offset that it reports when that happens?

Anyways while playing she will pick something up such as a water crystal she will gain an arrow, but also gets the crystal as an inventory item. She can then drop the crystal, pick it up again and gain another water arrow, with the crystal returning to her inventory, and in turn have as many water arrows as she wants. This also works for any other arrow crystal, speed and healing potions, and most or all food items.
    Strange, I've never had this happen. Does this typically only occur after you've been playing for a while, or do you think you could get it to happen again?

Also something stated in an earlier post said the starting inventory shared the same ID right? Well not only that, but sometimes when she (the clinet) used something, such as a healing potion I'd loose the one I had. Maybe this is the shared ID of the items?
    This is the object ID problem rearing its ugly head again. This won't happen for healing potions that you've picked up during the course of the mission, but any potions that were part of your starting inventory may get used up for all of the players in the game. I do hope to fix this eventually.

Permanently Enlarged
    Ok... Just tried to host it, and I'll be damned! IT WORKED! I have no idea what's going on, but I'm hosting as if nothing happened! Stranger things have happened, I suppose.

Yes, I was typing in /net_stats. It doesn't work though, as I said. No text is outputed in the console no matter how many times I input that command.

In terms of the shared IDs, if I understand correctly, two spawn points would fix this issue right? I was planning on testing this theory myself soon. I already know that it allows two separate inventories for each person, as I tested it briefly between two computers in my house.

Permanently Enlarged
    Personally, I think the idea of in-game joining would be pretty kickass; set your game up for 8 people, have 4 to start off, and get more in as you progress. That and support for even more players would be... horrendous.

Weird. Send me that information if it crashes again, though.

Quote Originally Posted by RavynousHunter View Post
    Personally, I think the idea of in-game joining would be pretty kickass; set your game up for 8 people, have 4 to start off, and get more in as you progress. That and support for even more players would be... horrendous.
    I too would like to make games joinable in progress, but the existing net code in Dark clearly wasn't designed with that in mind. It is possible to force the game to allow new players to join after the mission has started, but the new player won't be able to see anyone moving and AIs will be frozen in place. Existing players are able to see the new one moving around, however.

In order to get it working, I'll most likely have to figure out some way to send information about objects that have been created since the mission started or any changes that have been made to existing ones to the new player. Given the huge variety of properties that objects in Thief 2 can have, I really can't think of any way to do this without using up enormous amounts of bandwidth sending the game state to the new player. It might be possible eventually, but I'm not even sure where to begin at the moment.

Yes, I was typing in /net_stats. It doesn't work though, as I said. No text is outputed in the console no matter how many times I input that command.

In terms of the shared IDs, if I understand correctly, two spawn points would fix this issue right? I was planning on testing this theory myself soon. I already know that it allows two separate inventories for each person, as I tested it briefly between two computers in my house.
    /net_stats won't output anything to the console -- it draws the statistics in game in the upper right corner. Only the packet queue peak will be displayed if you're the host of the game, otherwise it will display the ping along with some other information. Seems to work just fine for me.

Yes, two spawn points should fix all (or nearly all) of the inventory problems as long as each spawn point has separate items linked to it. That's a pretty hackish way of fixing the problem though (not to mention a lot of work with an 8 player maximum, and potentially even more in the future), and I'd like to find a solution that will work with existing maps if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tos
    /net_stats won't output anything to the console -- it draws the statistics in game in the upper right corner. Only the packet queue peak will be displayed if you're the host of the game, otherwise it will display the ping along with some other information. Seems to work just fine for me.
    Sorry, I understand it now, thanks for the explanation. I was expecting to see information in the console. The reason why I have not seen any results is because I keep forgetting to type that command when I'm actually playing a multiplayer session and then alt tabbing.

That's a pretty hackish way of fixing the problem though (not to mention a lot of work with an 8 player maximum, and potentially even more in the future), and I'd like to find a solution that will work with existing maps if at all possible.
    Your right, I agree. Though, if FM authors didn't mind ,we could just start a campaign to re-release the missions "commercially" (I mean in the context of re-releasing them to the public via mirrors vs just sending them) with multiple spawn points. Either that, or players could do it outside the realm of TTLG and then just share amongst themselves.

Permanently Enlarged
    Someone might have suggested it already, but you could try cloning the objects linked to the original starting point in the "blue room" and then linking the copies to their respective owners. Then again, I don't really know much about how Thief's script system works, so I really don't know how feasible that would be, if at all. I'm just kinda throwin stuff out there, ya know?

Well we've tried our first FM (haven't finished it yet) the Inverted Manse, and it seems very much playable.

Again the arrow crystal bug happened in this game as well, and yes it happens after playing for a while, but again it's random and I'm unsure what triggers it. Seems to happen to the client more then the host, but sometimes happens to both of us.

(I'm not giving away too much info for those that haven't played the Inverted Manse, but I'm sure everyone has played it by now.)

The FM ran fine other then the wind arrows (used in place of water) didn't work the way they did in single player. How they fly by a torch and would put it out while flying by and taking out others. Although it looked like it worked for the player that did it, the other would see any torches it passed by still alight.
    Also the zombies had some glitches about them, and at points when you killed them with the holy sword it would crash both of us.

Other then the zombie killing, crashing bug, this was a great creepy FM to play with another. Made killing some of those haunts easier with another person.

Hmm, clients can't use double doors (only one door opens, not both at the same time).

Is someone making a list of all the recorded these multi-player bugs?

Hi Tos, I've got some bugs to report. I know I have some bugs from a fan mission, but seeing as the potential to play this patch in fan missions is high, and should be important, I thought I would let you know. I did not see these in the readme.

First the OM...
    Running Interference:
    - Host cannot pickup objects that client drops (like a crate, and specifically a body. This could be a big problem.) Luckily Jennivere did not freak out with seeing a knocked out guard's body practically in the hallway. What happened was that my friend knocked out the guard, and then when I tried to pick him up, nothing happened. Then I noticed that when he had thrown crates, when I tried to pick them up nothing would happen. Sorry, I already mentioned this on page 8.

- Loot sharing bug: I had unchecked loot sharing in the host options, but when we were playing if the client picked up loot, it would still go to me, and he was unable to see the loot in his inventory (and no, the Total Loot thing was not on screen.)

- Post-game screen bug: I picked up a few loot items, but my friend picked up a majority and when we went to the post-game screen it said found 0 out of xxxx loot on my screen (host), but on his screen (client) it said 675 out of xxxx.

Playing the FM A Thief's Holiday 2004 (great mission for multiplayer!)
    -Things are already "turned on" or "frobbed" for the client. For example, if I looked at my friend's screen, I noticed that the faucets were already turned on, when they would be turned off on my screen. Another example: The christmas tree was "always on" despite me either turning it on or off on the host computer. Any idea why that might happen?

- Loading a save game to continue our multiplayer game, I noticed that the front door relocked itself. No idea why that happened. Any idea why that might occur?

Not a bug, but a bit misleading (could you please add this to the next readme in the next build release?):
    I was playing with my friend and we tried running interference but as soon as we got to game it said something about the client not having the same gamesys as me and so he got disconnected. Thing was, we checked our dark.gam files and they were the same. Then it occurred to me that it could be the mission file, or the mission file's .gam. Turns out it was. I had modified mission 1 for running interference so that we would have two spawns. Well, for some reason I had m1multi.gam (that's what I called it) be a slightly larger size on the client computer. I removed both the mis and the gam and replaced with originals. Everything was fine. Conclusion: .gam files of any kind, whether dark.gam or fan mission specific, MUST be the same. This may go to .mis files too, but I am not quite sure.
    Last edited by sNeaksieGarrett; 17th Dec 2008 at 14:09.

Thanks for the reports. I'll address them one by one:

Host cannot pickup objects that client drops (like a crate, and specifically a body. This could be a big problem.) Luckily Jennivere did not freak out with seeing a knocked out guard's body practically in the hallway. What happened was that my friend knocked out the guard, and then when I tried to pick him up, nothing happened. Then I noticed that when he had thrown crates, when I tried to pick them up nothing would happen.
    Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce this. Are you sure that the client was able to pick up a body (this shouldn't be possible since I thought I'd intentionally disabled that)? I just started up Running Interference and was able to throw a crate back and forth between the host and client. Does this always happen for you, or is it a random occurrence?

- Loot sharing bug: I had unchecked loot sharing in the host options, but when we were playing if the client picked up loot, it would still go to me, and he was unable to see the loot in his inventory (and no, the Total Loot thing was not on screen.)
    That's what I get for forgetting to test that option. Fixed, thanks.

- Post-game screen bug: I picked up a few loot items, but my friend picked up a majority and when we went to the post-game screen it said found 0 out of xxxx loot on my screen (host), but on his screen (client) it said 675 out of xxxx.
    You're right. I'm looking into this now -- shouldn't be difficult to fix.

Playing the FM A Thief's Holiday 2004 (great mission for multiplayer!)
    -Things are already "turned on" or "frobbed" for the client. For example, if I looked at my friend's screen, I noticed that the faucets were already turned on, when they would be turned off on my screen. Another example: The christmas tree was "always on" despite me either turning it on or off on the host computer. Any idea why that might happen?
    Not sure what might be causing that. I've never seen that happen in any of the OMs, so it sounds like it may be something specifically related to that FM (which I haven't had a chance to test yet).

- Loading a save game to continue our multiplayer game, I noticed that the front door relocked itself. No idea why that happened. Any idea why that might occur?
    Odd. Was this an original or fan mission?

Not a bug, but a bit misleading (could you please add this to the next readme in the next build release?):
    I was playing with my friend and we tried running interference but as soon as we got to game it said something about the client not having the same gamesys as me and so he got disconnected...
    Yes, I probably could've been a bit clearer: T2 MP checks the gamesys that the mission you're currently playing is using -- which is not necessarily dark.gam if you're playing an FM. The .mis files themselves aren't scanned yet, but they probably will be later.

I'll be releasing an update by the end of this week to correct these and some other problems I've discovered with the last build. I haven't had much time to work on this for the past week, so this will mostly be a bug-fix release with some stability improvements, but with few or no new features.

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce this. Are you sure that the client was able to pick up a body (this shouldn't be possible since I thought I'd intentionally disabled that)? I just started up Running Interference and was able to throw a crate back and forth between the host and client. Does this always happen for you, or is it a random occurrence?
    I apologize, I worded that weirdly... What I meant was that when the client knocked out a guard, I could not pick him up as host. So no, he couldn't pick up the body; as you said, it is disabled. I was just putting those two points together because they seemed related.

Crates:As far as I know, it appeared to happen every time we tried it. I would click on the crate he frobbed and dropped, and nothing would happen.

Odd. Was this an original or fan mission?
    Fan mission, the same one, A Thief's Holiday 2004.

Yes, I probably could've been a bit clearer: T2 MP checks the gamesys that the mission you're currently playing is using -- which is not necessarily dark.gam if you're playing an FM. The .mis files themselves aren't scanned yet, but they probably will be later.
    Ah, okay. Thought so. Thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr7 View Post
    "Yay! We're here! We're all here! Look at us! Look at me! Look at you! Haha! You look funny! We look funny! How fun is this, eh?"
    Lol!

dont know if someone had posted this before:
    the on/off state for turrets and cameras resets itself to the value it was on mission start when reloading savegames.

i played OM "Casing the Joint" with my brother.
    next to the library on first floor there is one turret already turned on by default while its camera is offline.
    i deactivated that turret in the control room and saved the game.
    when we reloaded that savegame, the turret was turned on again.
    this happens again and again....on each reload

Hah, this is amazing. One thing I never expected to see for the original Thief. Sounds like incredible work Tos, can't wait to try it out when I get whatever is killing my net connection solved.

Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419242934 ... LastLast